U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleanest city? (clean streets, well-maintained buildings, greenery, eco-friendliness)
Japanese cities (specify which one) 15 36.59%
Singapore 7 17.07%
Munich, Zurich, and other German-speaking Alpine areas 7 17.07%
Scandinavia (specify which one) 4 9.76%
Canadian cities (specify which one) 3 7.32%
Affluent, master-planned suburbs in the USA (specify which one) 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2018, 04:42 PM

585 posts, read 176,057 times

Advertisements

Based either on your firsthand visits to these cities OR going off of Google Maps Street View of these cities, which do you think is cleanest? By clean, I mean clean streets, well-maintained buildings and infrastructure, clean air and drinking water, plenty of greenery, and eco-friendly practices.

I would have to say that, among cities I've been to in Asia, it's a draw between Tokyo and Singapore. Tokyo is clean because of the Japanese mentality, Shintoism and all, whereas Singapore is clean more because it is stinking rich, meticulously planned and manicured, and needs to maintain its image as "The Garden City." In North America, among big cities, I'd definitely have to say Vancouver. Munich was comparable to Tokyo and Singapore, too. Once again, it's probably the Southern German/Swiss tradition of cleanliness that keeps Munich clean.

Although if I had to name one city that is the cleanest of all, it would definitely be my hometown, Irvine, California, or just about any other affluent, master-planned community in the US or Canada.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:09 PM

794 posts, read 165,366 times
Stockholm for sure.... 1/3 green space, fresh water and built on 14 islands. Sweden is very eco-friendly, green and recycling a lot!

Quebec City is pretty clean, as is Boston and many North American suburbs.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:16 AM

4,928 posts, read 3,129,832 times
Not that I've been to all that many international cities, but of the ones that I have been to, I was blown away with how clean Seoul and Busan are.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:33 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,631,767 times
One of the most clean cities I've seen is Las Vegas.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:30 PM

11,358 posts, read 7,825,285 times
Why is the US getting special treatment in this survey? Picking just the planned affluent areas isn't real equal to making other places choose a whole organic city.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,063,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Why is the US getting special treatment in this survey? Picking just the planned affluent areas isn't real equal to making other places choose a whole organic city.
Maybe Canada was given special treatment in any city in the Nation to choose.

Maybe the OP felt US cities were all inferior in cleanliness? So chose to choose from more planned suburban locations? Still odd. For major Northern US cities? If the poll was for them. I'd choose Boston and Chicago. Sunbelt cities in the southern US tend to be clean .... if not more sterile.

But in general ... suburban areas are in the US. Planned or just sprawled.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:41 PM

950 posts, read 1,455,968 times
On my recent trip to Central Europe, I found Dresden(Germany), Wroclaw(Poland), and Krakow(Poland) to be very clean.

Warsaw was quite clean too!

Old 08-29-2018, 04:29 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,773,137 times
On the other hand, European mega-cities like Paris and London are actual dumps. In general, the bigger the city , the more disgusting and gritty it is, wich makes me think that governments and local councils should make the cleaning of these giant cities a priority now. Unfortunately it is still not the case, however as more and more people live in big urban areas worldwide , I believe it is as much an emergency as the cleaning of oceans or of Mont Everest.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:11 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,085,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
On the other hand, European mega-cities like Paris and London are actual dumps. In general, the bigger the city , the more disgusting and gritty it is, wich makes me think that governments and local councils should make the cleaning of these giant cities a priority now. Unfortunately it is still not the case, however as more and more people live in big urban areas worldwide , I believe it is as much an emergency as the cleaning of oceans or of Mont Everest.
Makes you wonder how Mega Asian cities are so much cleaner than Mega Western cities.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:53 PM

11,358 posts, read 7,825,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Maybe Canada was given special treatment in any city in the Nation to choose.

Maybe the OP felt US cities were all inferior in cleanliness? So chose to choose from more planned suburban locations? Still odd. For major Northern US cities? If the poll was for them. I'd choose Boston and Chicago. Sunbelt cities in the southern US tend to be clean .... if not more sterile.

But in general ... suburban areas are in the US. Planned or just sprawled.
Still odd. If the OP feels US cities don't stand a chance, then perhaps they are unfamiliar with the dirtier parts of Canadian cities. Even Vancouver has an area that is less than stellar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or