Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer overall?
Madrid 18 72.00%
Washington DC 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 03:28 PM

29,753 posts, read 18,615,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Two Great Cities.
The Spanish Capital (Estd. 9th Century, Capital Since 1606)
The American Capital (Estd. Early 17th Century, Capital Since 1790)

Compare On:
1. Urbanity
2. Climate
3. Nature
4. History
5. Uniqueness
6. Food
7. Shopping
8. Entertainment
9. Transit
10. Safety
11. Sports (Spectator)
12. Culture (Museums/Theatre)
13. Affordability
14. Living
15. Visiting
Madrid wins on all counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 03:45 PM

27,217 posts, read 28,295,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
That said, while DC doesn't have the street life of a Madrid by any stretch, it is certainly much more a global power broker than Madrid is IMO, and that reflects in at least a few of it's amenities as well.
Personally, I would rather live in a place like DC for the higher salary and go to a place like Madrid for traveling - which I'm sure it is nice. You can't enjoy life anywhere without a lot of money, no matter how vibrant the place is.

DC is also more international than some people think. Pretty much every kind of ethnic food can be found in the DC area.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:39 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,584,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Personally, I would rather live in a place like DC for the higher salary and go to a place like Madrid for traveling - which I'm sure it is nice. You can't enjoy life anywhere without a lot of money, no matter how vibrant the place is.

DC is also more international than some people think. Pretty much every kind of ethnic food can be found in the DC area.
Define a lot of money. I think if you’re living in true poverty, it is quite difficult to, yes. But do you think someone with a per capita household income of day 50-60K could be happier than someone with 300K if they have:
-Better Health
-More Time Off
-Less Hours Worked/Less Stress While There
-More Recreational Opportunities
-More Personal Safety
-Greater Ability to Live a Carfree Lifestyle
etc.?

I’m not saying that having more money on avg can’t help (it can). But while Madrid isn’t as wealthy as DC, I feel like it’s not at the level where most or even very many people are desperate or have a poor QOL.

Agreed on DC’s international stature.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:55 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,392,291 times
I LOVE Madrid, DC is a great rising international city and metropolis, but Madrid is lovely and more vibrant in the city core. The two cities (DC-MAD) actually remind me of each other a bit. More so than Madrid and Barcelona IMO.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:10 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,392,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
I lived in Baltimore in 2001/02 so I went to DC quite often. My wife is from Madrid so I go there 3/4 times per year.

Compare On:
1. Urbanity: Madrid
2. Climate: Madrid
3. Nature: Madrid (although Cheasepeake Bay is very nice)
4. History: Madrid
5. Uniqueness: Madrid
6. Food: Madrid, by far
7. Shopping: Madrid
8. Entertainment: Madrid, by far
9. Transit: Madrid, by far
10. Safety: Madrid, by far
11. Sports (Spectator): Madrid
12. Culture (Museums/Theatre): Madrid. DC's museums are also great.
13. Affordability: Madrid
14. Living: Madrid, by far
15. Visiting: Madrid

It would be fairer to compare Madrid with other cities in its range (world cities), like NYC, Mexico City, London, Paris, etc...
Washington DC is the most transformed major city in the United States in terms of amenities and people the past 15-20 years by far, it's literally NOTHING like it was in 2001-02. That's the year I graduated I high school. You absolutely cannot provide context to this discussion basing DC off of living in Baltimore in 2001 and visiting DC a couple times.

In 2018, DC is on par with its American counterparts SF, Chicago, and Boston. It absoutlely compares to other world cities like Madrid, Brussels, Frankfurt etc.

Madrid also is not on the same level as NY and London, I would place Barcelona even closer to those cities in some respects.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:40 AM

504 posts, read 649,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Washington DC is the most transformed major city in the United States in terms of amenities and people the past 15-20 years by far, it's literally NOTHING like it was in 2001-02. That's the year I graduated I high school. You absolutely cannot provide context to this discussion basing DC off of living in Baltimore in 2001 and visiting DC a couple times.

In 2018, DC is on par with its American counterparts SF, Chicago, and Boston. It absoutlely compares to other world cities like Madrid, Brussels, Frankfurt etc.

Madrid also is not on the same level as NY and London, I would place Barcelona even closer to those cities in some respects.
It is true last time I went to DC was back in 2009, so I guess lots have changed since. You've got a point, I am comparing a city in my mind stuck in time in 2001/02 with a city I go 3/4 times a year in 2018... The DC I remember was unsafe, dirty and lacked in public transportation. If they have come better as you say, I should give DC another chance!

Old 08-31-2018, 06:49 AM

278 posts, read 227,478 times
The r.....09

W is completely different from Madrid it only seems in my opinion that in both cities there are it is the political organs of the USA and Spain.-

Madrid was the Capital of an Empire that lasted more centuries than the British .
And today 17 countries and 400 million people speak spanish and Madrid continues
to have great appeal for many of its peoples ..

In Madrid there are the Great Royal Palaces full of treasures from this Empire as the EScorial or the Royal Palace for example greater than Versalles and many others.-And the Great Museums ,Libraries ,etc
That is why Madrid is equivalent to London for the English speak countries.

Barcelona is a Beautiful city with great international appeal .But the spanish and the speak people spanish they visit more Madrid
Remember that Madrid is double major than Barcelona.

Barcelona is a city whose archictetural merits are appreciated inmediately .Madrid requires more time and the tourist usually leave Madrid with,little minimal knowledge.-

For example the Capital of Spain during centuries was Toledo.
FelipeII transfer to.Madrid the Capital only does 600 years old.And its lacks the previos years that Paris and London or Barcelona -

Luckily Toledo is 20 minutes by high-speed train from Madrid that completes the Capital of Spain.Already that Felipe II wanted to move a few km away from the Archbishop
of Toledo to not be in the shadow of the richest and most powerful man in Spain.-

Madrid has around many beautiful medieval cities and towns very close to Madrid that they are very near
and that the madrileños frequent almost like districts of Madrid for the magnificent
comunications that there are ,Segovia,Avila Aranjuez ,Alcala etc etcand around 2000 Castles the region of Castilla(land of Castles)Something inconceivable in W or another city in the World.-

Old 08-31-2018, 07:32 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,661,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
The r.....09

W is completely different from Madrid it only seems in my opinion that in both cities there are it is the political organs of the USA and Spain.-

Madrid was the Capital of an Empire that lasted more centuries than the British .
And today 17 countries and 400 million people speak spanish and Madrid continues
to have great appeal for many of its peoples ..

In Madrid there are the Great Royal Palaces full of treasures from this Empire as the EScorial or the Royal Palace for example greater than Versalles and many others.-And the Great Museums ,Libraries ,etc
That is why Madrid is equivalent to London for the English speak countries.

Barcelona is a Beautiful city with great international appeal .But the spanish and the speak people spanish they visit more Madrid
Remember that Madrid is double major than Barcelona.

Barcelona is a city whose archictetural merits are appreciated inmediately .Madrid requires more time and the tourist usually leave Madrid with,little minimal knowledge.-

For example the Capital of Spain during centuries was Toledo.
FelipeII transfer to.Madrid the Capital only does 600 years old.And its lacks the previos years that Paris and London or Barcelona -

Luckily Toledo is 20 minutes by high-speed train from Madrid that completes the Capital of Spain.Already that Felipe II wanted to move a few km away from the Archbishop
of Toledo to not be in the shadow of the richest and most powerful man in Spain.-

Madrid has around many beautiful medieval cities and towns very close to Madrid that they are very near
and that the madrileños frequent almost like districts of Madrid for the magnificent
comunications that there are ,Segovia,Avila Aranjuez ,Alcala etc etcand around 2000 Castles the region of Castilla(land of Castles)Something inconceivable in W or another city in the World.-
I missed you, Urdiales

Old 08-31-2018, 09:18 AM

27,217 posts, read 28,295,642 times
For any first-time visitor to a city like Washington DC, I recommend the hop-on hop-off bus tour.

It always gives a good overview of the city. And you can take it from there.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 560,784 times
1. Urbanity: Madrid
2. Climate: DC
3. Nature: DC
4. History: Tie
5. Uniqueness: DC
6. Food: Tie
7. Shopping: Madrid
8. Entertainment: Madrid
9. Transit: Madrid
10. Safety: Madrid
11. Sports (Spectator): -
12. Culture (Museums/Theatre): DC
13. Affordability: -
14. Living: DC
15. Visiting: Madrid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World