Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer overall?
Madrid 18 72.00%
Washington DC 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 08:23 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,398,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubli View Post
Uh, a couple things

1) “American issues”. Crime isn’t an “American issue”. Many major European cities have worse rates of robbery, assault, and rape

2) Carrying on about DC as if it hasn’t long been a “global city” is a little ridiculous

3) I don’t know much about Madrid, and I respect the takes from more educated people who have visited, but a lot of the takes about DC strike me as Euro-boosterism mixed with bitter anti-Americanism

Especially this “DC is boring” take. Americans have to be really jaded people to think DC is that boring in a global context. I’m sure there are resort areas and megacities that cater a bit more exclusively to the nightlife crowd than DC does, but you really need to acquaint yourself with cities like Vancouver, Sydney, Chongqing, Birmingham, or Canberra if you’re going to call the entire DC area “boring” for its size or stature. It’s not.

I get that people get very upset when the US is praised in remotely any way (or, alternately, whenever anyone expresses an opinion that diverges from the Euro-supremacist “Europe is the best” worldview that everyone is expected to regurgitate). But this kind of stuff is super annoying. All the takes about US cities and the US in general are just copy pasted slander meant to gatekeep any comparison involving it. “Everywhere else good, the US bad”, or else people scream and cry and stamp their feet. Really pathetic behavior.
Well I said nothing related to your post after your first couple bullet points, so I'll take it as you venting to me based on what others have posted about DC.

All I stated was that issues like crime are one of the few things that could hold DC's appeal back some, although even with it the city has grown substantially. But you cannot deny what's simple fact that violent crime, and murder is way up in DC by comparison, well past the American average, and even without the numbers in front of me, I'm certain it's substantially higher than Madrid. I was just in Madrid in July and as bustling as it was day or night, felt completely comfortable walking around alone with no thought of should I go to a certain place or not. Even being local to the DC area, there are places that I'd think twice to just freely roam all times of night in DC alone. I think long term the crime issues will be worked out to an extent and DC will be fine, but the current level of violence in the city is a serious short term issue.

I didn't say DC wasn't "global" what were you reading? I'm pointing out that only recently the last couple of decades it's been lauded as a world class destination to finally even make the conversation with other global world class cities. And I mean "D.C." the city where the people living and breathing, working, going to bars, restaurants, etc. live, "Washington" has always had a global profile, but now the city "D.C." where the people move is catching up. << This part is still behind Madrid however. There are aspects of DC that are world class and I would say even ahead of Madrid like museums. Overall it's a good matchup IMO.

And no DC, is not in the least boring. It's a high energy global metropolis, and probably more diverse than Madrid is. Last call in DC is typically 3/4am on weekends which is later than other large US cities like SF, Boston, Philly who close at 2am. That's only a stereotype that DC's nightlife is poor, it's very active. I think the urban core of Washington and it's inner burbs will continue to densify, and this would push the argument even further for DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 04:19 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,414,591 times
People seem to focus a lot on the nightlife. Which is relevant for only a proportion of the population.

We were in Madrid last month and have been to DC a couple of times, though not for a few years.
For us, there was much more of interest to see in DC. When we were there there we saw a lot of homeless people which was disconcerting but not really threatening. In Madrid we were continually warned to be aware of pickpockets, especially on the Metro. But we felt perfectly safe wandering about dark streets and came to no harm.

As an aside, as there was mention of Canberra earlier in the thread. Simply not comparable. It is a city of less than 500,000 people. With no population to speak of in the surrounding area. 40% of employees are federal public servants and it has the highest household income in the country. Its main attraction for locals, other than employment, is that it is the only sizeable place in the country where it is possible to drive to the ski fields and also to the coast for a day. So what attracts people to Canberra is what is found outside it!

Old 11-20-2023, 02:59 PM

36,893 posts, read 38,801,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Well I said nothing related to your post after your first couple bullet points, so I'll take it as you venting to me based on what others have posted about DC.

All I stated was that issues like crime are one of the few things that could hold DC's appeal back some, although even with it the city has grown substantially. But you cannot deny what's simple fact that violent crime, and murder is way up in DC by comparison, well past the American average, and even without the numbers in front of me, I'm certain it's substantially higher than Madrid. I was just in Madrid in July and as bustling as it was day or night, felt completely comfortable walking around alone with no thought of should I go to a certain place or not. Even being local to the DC area, there are places that I'd think twice to just freely roam all times of night in DC alone. I think long term the crime issues will be worked out to an extent and DC will be fine, but the current level of violence in the city is a serious short term issue.

I didn't say DC wasn't "global" what were you reading? I'm pointing out that only recently the last couple of decades it's been lauded as a world class destination to finally even make the conversation with other global world class cities. And I mean "D.C." the city where the people living and breathing, working, going to bars, restaurants, etc. live, "Washington" has always had a global profile, but now the city "D.C." where the people move is catching up. << This part is still behind Madrid however. There are aspects of DC that are world class and I would say even ahead of Madrid like museums. Overall it's a good matchup IMO.

And no DC, is not in the least boring. It's a high energy global metropolis, and probably more diverse than Madrid is. Last call in DC is typically 3/4am on weekends which is later than other large US cities like SF, Boston, Philly who close at 2am. That's only a stereotype that DC's nightlife is poor, it's very active. I think the urban core of Washington and it's inner burbs will continue to densify, and this would push the argument even further for DC.
Agree with you on the feeling of safety in Madrid.

DC is more diverse.

The museum one is difficult to say overall, because Madrid as the capital of the old Spanish Empire means that it collected a lot of arts and artifacts from around the world at a time when acquisition was much easier. Where DC does well though is in museum exhibits that are more specific to US history and to science and technology.

Philadelphia has 2 am last call, but there are bars that are "members-only clubs" where it's 3 am. I believe the 3 am last call in DC is weekend-only.

I don't think DC's night life is particularly notable for a city/metro of its size. That's totally fine though, because it has a lot of other great attributes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World