Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 12:15 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,008,203 times

Advertisements

That Spiders Web documentary struck me as tediously overwrought; sinister music, stock shots, along with the occasional commentator making revelations of dastardliness. Perfidious Albion? What's new, nations invariably act in their own interests. To cite the proverbial street cop, 'nothing to see hear folks ...'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 05:39 AM

26,917 posts, read 13,130,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
New York City. Always had been and will remain so.
London and Paris were global cities before NYC was even a city of any importance, so it hasn't always been, whilst the world power is moving from the west to the far east.

London has alwas been in a good position between North America and Asia, as well as being a mere 2 hours from Paris on the train.

I don't believe there is a world capital but that each region has one or more prominant cities.

In terms of America life is often cut off and insular from world events, and I don't see how a city in a country that is too wrapped up in it's own affairs can be somehow seen as the capital of the world.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London and Paris were global cities before NYC was even a city of any importance, so it hasn't always been, whilst the world power is moving from the west to the far east.

London has alwas been in a good position between North America and Asia, as well as being a mere 2 hours from Paris on the train.

I don't believe there is a world capital but that each region has one or more prominant cities.

In terms of America life is often cut off and insular from world events, and I don't see how a city in a country that is too wrapped up in it's own affairs can be somehow seen as the capital of the world.
London is certainly a good contender, but every time I visit New York, I'm struck with how international it is, including many of the Brits I see. London is truly international, but arguably New York has some of the same demographics, and more - you can throw in the East Asian contingent, and Latin America, which the UK capital lacks to the same degree. I'd say that goes in some part to assuage American insularity.

I'm a native Londoner BTW.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:42 AM

26,917 posts, read 13,130,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
London is certainly a good contender, but every time I visit New York, I'm struck with how international it is, including many of the Brits I see. London is truly international, but arguably New York has some of the same demographics, and more - you can throw in the East Asian contingent, and Latin America, which the UK capital lacks to the same degree. I'd say that goes in some part to assuage American insularity.

I'm a native Londoner BTW.
London has plenty of East Asians, as the UK has strong ties to the region through Empire, the last of which was Hong Kong.

In terms of Latin America, there is a significant community in the UK coupled with the Caribbean Community, with many Caribbean islands have strong ties to the UK.

In terms of communities both may have more of one community and less of another, however both have lots of international communities.

In the previous post I did make the point that America itself is quite an insular country and that you can live there without even being aware the rest of the world exists, and as such should a city in such a nation really be deemed capital of the world.

Furthermore NYC itself is not really that close to any other countries, it has a vast ocean on one side and the only country that is easily accesible is Canada, which although different in some ways is hardly that significantly different.

NYC is a great city but I don't think of it as some global capital, indeed I don't believe a global capital truly exists.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London has plenty of East Asians, as the UK has strong ties to the region through Empire, the last of which was Hong Kong.

In terms of Latin America, there is a significant community in the UK coupled with the Caribbean Community, with many Caribbean islands have strong ties to the UK.

In terms of communities both may have more of one community and less of another, however both have lots of international communities.

In the previous post I did make the point that America itself is quite an insular country and that you can live there without even being aware the rest of the world exists, and as such should a city in such a nation really be deemed capital of the world.

Furthermore NYC itself is not really that close to any other countries, it has a vast ocean on one side and the only country that is easily accesible is Canada, which although different in some ways is hardly that significantly different.

NYC is a great city but I don't think of it as some global capital, indeed I don't believe a global capital truly exists.
I hear you mate.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:20 PM

12,938 posts, read 9,549,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
New York City. Always had been and will remain so.
I agree, especially with the United Nations being there. It is the center of the universe, the unofficial capital of planet earth. No other place even comes close.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:29 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,239,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree, especially with the United Nations being there. It is the center of the universe, the unofficial capital of planet earth. No other place even comes close.
Um, have you even been reading the thread?!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:01 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,890,979 times
London.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:47 PM

12,867 posts, read 13,173,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I’d love to see the U.N. moved out of NYC to some other place so they can suffer the nonsense that comes with it.
Relocate it to Switzerland.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:29 PM

12,938 posts, read 9,549,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I’d love to see the U.N. moved out of NYC to some other place so they can suffer the nonsense that comes with it.
Relocate it to Switzerland.
I believe San Francisco is it's birthplace, so maybe there instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World