Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 04:13 PM

9,356 posts, read 14,297,668 times

Advertisements

This is another version of similar threads that come up from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
That's a great infographic. I would also say London but can understand taking the position of New York. London, for me, still seems to be the more closely connected with every part of the world between the two, even if it is not statistically and economically ahead.
I agree with your succinct analysis and sum it up by observing ...

London is it, because of the overflow of New York City, as well as of many other financial capitals (a reality too subtle to grasp for most people), and so because of its geographical position, spanning all time zones with major financial centers for at least a couple of hours during the global business day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 05:41 PM

1,261 posts, read 566,999 times
New York

Old 08-29-2018, 05:53 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times
Currently, I'd say that there are only two real contenders. London and New York. I do expect other cities to gain a foothold in the future.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:16 PM

839 posts, read 734,397 times
London is already at the center of time where GMT is set and all other timezones are based from.

London is also already the geographic center (space) where the Prime Meridian (0-degree longitude) divides the Western and Eastern hemispheres.

If Einstein's Theory of Relativity is correct where the space-time continuum defines the dimensions of the universe, and London is at the center of both space and time, it is safe to conclude that London is the center of the universe.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
London is already at the center of time where GMT is set and all other timezones are based from.

London is also already the geographic center (space) where the Prime Meridian (0-degree longitude) divides the Western and Eastern hemispheres.

If Einstein's Theory of Relativity is correct where the space-time continuum defines the dimensions of the universe, and London is at the center of both space and time, it is safe to conclude that London is the center of the universe.
Having London be the defining point of GMT is the result of English dominance over a considerable portion of the world. If it had been another power, we would likely have had a different reference point. This does in effect validate your point.

As to your second point. Every single location is at the center of the universe. The Big Bang happened everywhere.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:33 PM

839 posts, read 734,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Having London be the defining point of GMT is the result of English dominance over a considerable portion of the world. If it had been another power, we would likely have had a different reference point. This does in effect validate your point.

As to your second point. Every single location is at the center of the universe. The Big Bang happened everywhere.
I was being cheeky.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,660,000 times
I’d say it would have to be a city that transcends national boundaries. That has a major connection and influence over multiple global regions and other major cities/societies.

It should be a place that is remarkably safe, wealthy and healthy. It should also be modern, not bogged down by previous setups.

Maybe it should have major attractions (Disney), more high rises than any other city and arguably the biggest consumer culture in the world betweeen both informal street stands and high end malls.

It could be one of the world’s major shipping ports. Perhaps also have 2-3 Top 50 world universities. Be a major financial hub, and be at the forefront of innovation in architecture/technology, alternative transit (sans car), natural conservation practices around a city.

Perhaps for good measure, let’s put it within a 5 hour flight of half the world’s population, too.

Hong Kong.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:00 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
For now, I'd say it's still New York City but I think that is slowly changing and London will one day replace it and that I believe is already starting to happen.

For me, a true world capital is one that is not only diverse on paper but in practice. I think that with it's income gap not nearly as wide, great social programs etc. London would seem to be a more inviting place for people and in turn, businesses. NYC, like many American cities is fast becoming a playground for the rich whereas, from what I'm able to tell, London doesn't seem to be slipping down that slope. For this reason, I think London is slowly overtaking NYC.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
I was being cheeky.
Thought so, but just wanted to make sure. All good.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:44 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,157 times
As it stands right now, NEW YORK CITY.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World