Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 04:08 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times

Advertisements

NYC isn't even the capital of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
There is no capital of the world. London I would argue probably is closest with strong connections to the US, Middle East, Asia and Europe set up during the glory days of the British Empire.

Yes New York City is the most powerful city economically in the most powerful country but its influence is mostly regional to North America.

There is no capital of Asia with Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong all having a kind of argument for that.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:13 PM

58 posts, read 47,760 times
There is no capital of the world. Just people with Napoleonic minds. NY the capital of the world? London? Why? The most important empire in the world was the Roman Empire. There is no world capital. Nowhere outside of Europe represents Europe for example, not even many European capitals. NY? All squares and skyscrapers? Tokyo, the city of lights? No way. The capitals are for countries, period.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:54 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
There is no capital of the world. London I would argue probably is closest with strong connections to the US, Middle East, Asia and Europe set up during the glory days of the British Empire.

Yes New York City is the most powerful city economically in the most powerful country but its influence is mostly regional to North America.

There is no capital of Asia with Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong all having a kind of argument for that.
That is true that is no set capital, but NYC influence is far more than regional. Just in my line of work we are extremely connected to the global economic centers of China and Japan.

Obviously New Yorks everyday influence in the biggest in North America, but I don't think there is a corner of the world that isn't somehow touched by New Yorks global impact, especially in Europe and China.

Put it this way, if New York or London were to disappear and take all their power with them, the world would feel the shake. So they are certainly the most powerful and influential cities, but yes, capitals are debatable.

Last edited by cpomp; 09-11-2018 at 06:02 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 07:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That is true that is no set capital, but NYC influence is far more than regional. Just in my line of work we are extremely connected to the global economic centers of China and Japan.

Obviously New Yorks everyday influence in the biggest in North America, but I don't think there is a corner of the world that isn't somehow touched by New Yorks global impact, especially in Europe and China.

Put it this way, if New York or London were to disappear and take all their power with them, the world would feel the shake. So they are certainly the most powerful and influential cities, but yes, capitals are debatable.
When he talks about 'connections' with the far east and the US I think what he means is that being on the meridian line gives London a big advantage over (some) other cities, I live in a town along the meridian and my job means that I deal with companies across the globe and by being on the Meridian it means I can deal directly to the far east in the mornings and the America's in the afternoons and everybody in between. Of course its not the be all and end all but it certainly makes my job easier, there are other cities in Europe and Africa with potentially the same advantage.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
When he talks about 'connections' with the far east and the US I think what he means is that being on the meridian line gives London a big advantage over (some) other cities, I live in a town along the meridian and my job means that I deal with companies across the globe and by being on the Meridian it means I can deal directly to the far east in the mornings and the America's in the afternoons and everybody in between. Of course its not the be all and end all but it certainly makes my job easier, there are other cities in Europe and Africa with potentially the same advantage.
I've lived and worked all over the planet (currently in Baku, Azerbaijan) and whether Kuwait or here in Baku, the people have a desire for London to visit or own property there....NYC doesn't compare in that sense.

Part of it is due to the Brits do think globally more so than Americans...we are so large that we haven't had to think globally as much....but that is a disadvantage in doing business that we don't have the prescence or knowledge of the area and the culture. I work for an American consulting company but most of our consultants here and in the Middle east are Brits. To be fair, it's a heck of a long way to the USA from here but 1 flight to London.

Anyway, I stand by my earlier statement. On an international scale, the Silicon Valley companies do more business globally so they are better in my view in doing international business than NYC companies by and large.

Getting back more specifically to the thread, there is no capital of the world but London probably is the closest.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 AM

514 posts, read 470,801 times
Quote:
I've lived and worked all over the planet (currently in Baku, Azerbaijan) and whether Kuwait or here in Baku, the people have a desire for London to visit or own property there....NYC doesn't compare in that sense.

Part of it is due to the Brits do think globally more so than Americans...we are so large that we haven't had to think globally as much....but that is a disadvantage in doing business that we don't have the prescence or knowledge of the area and the culture. I work for an American consulting company but most of our consultants here and in the Middle east are Brits. To be fair, it's a heck of a long way to the USA from here but 1 flight to London.

Anyway, I stand by my earlier statement. On an international scale, the Silicon Valley companies do more business globally so they are better in my view in doing international business than NYC companies by and large.

Getting back more specifically to the thread, there is no capital of the world but London probably is the closest.
Astute essay. I can confirm is true.

If you live in the USA it would be unthinkable to think of any other world capital than NYC.
Once you've travelled the world, you get a scale of just how immense London's influence is.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:51 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:

That right there probably tips the scales in London's favor.

As far as Silicon Valley companies, some of the biggest of them have a presence in NYC.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:02 PM

417 posts, read 445,009 times
If I have to choose just one city, my vote goes to Hong Kong.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:15 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Beijing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World