U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:39 AM

7,838 posts, read 7,823,523 times

Advertisements

Luckenbach, Texas of course.
Might as well shut down this silly thread now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 03:37 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,374,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Unless it turns out to be true and you're left behind during the rapture.
Time to grow up.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:19 PM

300 posts, read 160,848 times

Old 09-23-2018, 12:34 AM

137 posts, read 49,906 times
It is either London or NYC. I think NYC is more powerful but London's location is unbeatable.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 AM

10,923 posts, read 7,722,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
It is either London or NYC. I think NYC is more powerful but London's location is unbeatable.
Yes, London is definitely the crossroads of civilization. It is far cooler a place than NYC is too.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:45 AM

1,204 posts, read 715,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yes, London is definitely the crossroads of civilization. It is far cooler a place than NYC is too.
Now that GenZ is growing up, London is starting to feel like it did in the 1990s.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 AM

15,699 posts, read 34,711,444 times
I lived in New York City for a couple years. It definitely felt like the center of the world. Particularly when you have almost every ethnic neighborhood in the world. You can get off on one train and be in 'Little Poland' (part of Brooklyn), where everything is Polish, and get off later at 'Little India', on and on.

I realize that London has that same element as well....

Old 09-26-2018, 08:31 AM

3,466 posts, read 2,581,100 times
Here's another thought.. Aside from the fact that there are really multiple capitals that contribute most significantly in various ways to the world's regions and economies, is it also somewhat important to note that it can change based on the time we are talking about? What are true gathering places, events that cause the world (at least general media attention) to pay specific attention to that place at a certain time?

I know this is a definite American bias, but I think it would be hard to disagree with the fact that the Trump-Kim and Trump-Putin summits were major global events. One took place in Singapore, one took place in Helsinki. I'm not necessarily suggesting either of those places make as strong a case for others as being a sense of capital, but I think it is worth considering, especially in the case of Singapore which has a TON of potential there, as from what I understand it is the most heavily westernized city in the Far East in numerous ways.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:17 AM

15,699 posts, read 34,711,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Here's another thought.. Aside from the fact that there are really multiple capitals that contribute most significantly in various ways to the world's regions and economies, is it also somewhat important to note that it can change based on the time we are talking about? What are true gathering places, events that cause the world (at least general media attention) to pay specific attention to that place at a certain time?

I know this is a definite American bias, but I think it would be hard to disagree with the fact that the Trump-Kim and Trump-Putin summits were major global events. One took place in Singapore, one took place in Helsinki. I'm not necessarily suggesting either of those places make as strong a case for others as being a sense of capital, but I think it is worth considering, especially in the case of Singapore which has a TON of potential there, as from what I understand it is the most heavily westernized city in the Far East in numerous ways.
I'm over on this side of the world, and when I'm in Singapore it feels like a regional capital. But a funny one. It's popular with Chinese (but they'd consider Beijing the center of the world), popular with Indians (but they'd consider Mumbai the center of the world), etc.

I"m living next to HOng Kong know, and while it's a world city, it's kind of somewhat competing with Shanghai/Beijing as things are being siphoned that way. There is also some awareness in HK that London is what gave birth to it.

Whereas when I used to live in NYC, you turn on the news and you see NYC in Hollywood movies and on TV shows, and the entire world just seems there. Plus the financial centers in NYC which manipulates so many world markets. Extremely famous celebrities walking around NYC, etc.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:03 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,905,829 times
New York City. Always had been and will remain so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or