Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derventio View Post
You're not from Paris by any chance are you?

London will just adapt to the new conditions Brexit throws up and will still be a global powerhouse.Who knows, Brexit might be beneficial to London. Nobody knows for sure but I'm certain London ,like it has done throughout it's history, will adapt and still prosper.The Ruskies like it too much.

So for me it's London or NYC.
Nah she is Colombian, she is a well know UK hater, I think she had a boyfriend that went of with a British woman and it has turned her into a 'Britain hater', she seems to spend her life posting anti British drivel on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:00 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Jerusalem is definitely the religious capital. Everywhere from East Asia to the West wants a piece of Jerusalem. The Bible says to pray for the peace of Jerusalem and Armageddon will have its climax there.
Varanasi as a close second being I believe the fundamental city of both Buddhism and Hinduism. What would be the atheist capital?

Old 09-19-2018, 10:02 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Varanasi as a close second being I believe the fundamental city of both Buddhism and Hinduism. What would be the atheist capital?
Beijing probably, the government is officially irreligious. Close to 90% of Chinese are non-religious.

Hinduism & Bhudism has numbers but is restricted in its reach to a handful of nations, I wouldn't call it a close second.
China, Japan & Vietnam are the three least religious countries in the world. Even in Western society Christianity is still a part of national institutions.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Compton California.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Davos

Old 09-20-2018, 03:04 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Quote:
Beijing probably, the government is officially irreligious. Close to 90% of Chinese are non-religious.

Hinduism & Bhudism has numbers but is restricted in its reach to a handful of nations, I wouldn't call it a close second.
China, Japan & Vietnam are the three least religious countries in the world. Even in Western society Christianity is still a part of national institutions.
Agreed on Beijing, I was thinking that there. The teachings of Confucius I think influence there the most. I would be interested in reading more on that, but that's more of a practice in the ways of living life than any sort of organized religion. Also, this may be inaccurate, but I believe that "The Teachings of Mao Zedong" was the third most distributed/read text in human history, following the Bible (King James Version) and the Quran (or Koran) being first (though if considering various copies the Bible might top it), and Don Quixote 4th.

That's a good point too.

Actually kind of an interesting one when you think about it! Because while Hinduism is third most practiced (or fourth at this point, after Agnosticism/Atheism, if it can be called religion, which I actually tend to think it can, or at least a statistical group worth noting), with 1.15 Billion adherents, I don't think all that much is known about it, or that practices from it have influenced that much on a global scale compared to other religions, like say Judaism, with 14 Million, has a significantly outsized influence compared to number o those that practice (in fact North Korea's state "religion" has more "followers"). Buddhism seems more heavily ingrained in western culture, but I think that's just certain elements that are considered "in" right now and not a collective type of practice or shift though. The one argument I would make in the case of Hinduism is it's relative age was decently before a number of other world religions.

Perhaps close 2nd was not the right word, but I do still think Varanasi is significant for being "home" in a sense for a quarter of the world's religious adherents, and so just as someone with a general interest in humanity, even as I personally identify as Christian, I would love to get there for a few days or so, just as much as any city in India or it's surrounding countries. Maybe not a close #2, but probably still number 2 lol.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Compton California.
If you are talking about gangsta rap, then yeah!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:17 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Jerusalem is definitely the religious capital. Everywhere from East Asia to the West wants a piece of Jerusalem. The Bible says to pray for the peace of Jerusalem and Armageddon will have its climax there.
Long long term religion's on its way out, thank God.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:23 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravani View Post
With Brexit, London shot itself in the foot.... Tons of international corporations are leaving that city and settling elsewhere. Plus, the UK is a diminishing world power, so London might not be that important in the next decades. It will certainly take the back seat.

NYC will be prominent for as long as the US runs the show, China will take over though and Shanghai will come up to the front.

Tiny UK cannot compete with China or the US. Its capital city its at its height but declining.
Brexit schmexit - London will adapt, maybe even have an extra edge. Anyway, I'd say Gotham, with the UK capital a close second.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:31 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Long long term religion's on its way out, thank God.
Unless it turns out to be true and you're left behind during the rapture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World