Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
There are two sub-rankings in EIU's latest Safe Cities Index that are relevant to the OP's criteria.

The methodology is pretty opaque though, so should not be relied upon as conclusive or authoritative.

Chicago is safer than New York? C'mon this list is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 AM

24 posts, read 19,778 times
1)MUSEUMS
Tie, although NY has more my style museums, Madrid still has some really interesting world class museum, but NYC has more modern and interactive ones.

2)GASTRONOMY
NYC wins.
Madrid has Spanish food, NYC has all sorts of food, from South American, Mexican, Cuban, Asian, Indian, you name it.

3)ENERGY IN THE STREET
NYC.
NYC is crowded and busy, Madrid is more European and alive at night than NYC.

4)NIGHT
Madrid
More affordable and up until the next day kind of nightlife.

5)GREAT SPORT TEAMS
Madrid.
Real Madrid with its millions of followers worldwide.... no one cares about US style football/baseball other than Americans.

6)TOURIST
Tie

7)AROUND THE CITY
Tie.
Madrid has cool old towns but NYC has the beach and the mountains.

8)PUBLIC PARKS
Madrid.
It has more green areas than NYC, plus a lot of parks in NYC tend to be desolate and sort of gritty. (Not everything is central park!)

9)SHOWS
NYC,
although Madrid gives NYC a run for its money.

10)PALACES
Madrid.
NYC is mostly skyscrapers.

11)COMUNICATIONS SUBWAY AND TRAINS
Madrid.
Cleaner, faster, more modern and organized suubway system. Per capita Madrid has more metro lines than NYC. Plus Madrid's metro does not smell like ****, nor they have giant rats crawling around.

12)PUBS
Madrid.
It has better places to hang out. NYC has ok places but they reek with yuppies and hipsters, they tend to be snobbish and expensive. While Madrid has nice mom and pop, in the neighborhood kind of spots.

13)FINANCE
NYC.

14)JOY ON THE STREETS.-
Madrid.
NYC is stressful, Madrid is hedonistic.

15)SECURITY IN THE STREET
Madrid.
Although NYC is not as dangerous as it used to be.

16)HEALTH AT A GOOD PRICE.-
MAdrid.
NYC hospital visiti is a bank breaking bonanza.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:44 AM

278 posts, read 230,548 times
CARAVANI.-

NY Museums have a lot of merit but they can not compete with the Museums that have the Great paintings of many centuries of the 3 most important Empires in History of Europe and the Vatican.The Louvre in Paris,The Prado in Madrid and the British Museum and the Museum Vatican because all these paintings are from their
States of many Centuries before the existenceof the USA.-

But even in modern painting Madrid is above NY.Remember that when Picasso s Guernica painting was deposited in the NY Museum it was the most famous painting of this Museum and today it is deposited in the Reina Sofia Museon in Madrid.

However is Today in my opinion NY is the Capital of world in the Finance and the Politic, with W,Stret
andthe ONU.On the other hand I have always been impressed by the ember of Luz that represent of Night of NY it is something wonderful .I believe of course that NY that Politically and in Economically NY is today the capital of World.-

As for the prominence of international gastronomy the merits of NY are in my opinion more debatable .-
Today also London,Paris and Madrid have Restaurants from all countries.There are no differences at this point between NY and Madrid.-

The confrontation is between the Cuisine of France and italy .Japan ,Spain etc.because USA does not have an exquisite historical gastronomy competitive with these others cuisines internationally.-
That is why I think that gastronomy in Madrid surpasses NY.-

Old 09-23-2018, 12:31 AM

570 posts, read 507,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
CARAVANI.-

NY Museums have a lot of merit but they can not compete with the Museums that have the Great paintings of many centuries of the 3 most important Empires in History of Europe and the Vatican.The Louvre in Paris,The Prado in Madrid and the British Museum and the Museum Vatican because all these paintings are from their
States of many Centuries before the existenceof the USA.-

But even in modern painting Madrid is above NY.Remember that when Picasso s Guernica painting was deposited in the NY Museum it was the most famous painting of this Museum and today it is deposited in the Reina Sofia Museon in Madrid.

However is Today in my opinion NY is the Capital of world in the Finance and the Politic, with W,Stret
andthe ONU.On the other hand I have always been impressed by the ember of Luz that represent of Night of NY it is something wonderful .I believe of course that NY that Politically and in Economically NY is today the capital of World.-

As for the prominence of international gastronomy the merits of NY are in my opinion more debatable .-
Today also London,Paris and Madrid have Restaurants from all countries.There are no differences at this point between NY and Madrid.-

The confrontation is between the Cuisine of France and italy .Japan ,Spain etc.because USA does not have an exquisite historical gastronomy competitive with these others cuisines internationally.-
That is why I think that gastronomy in Madrid surpasses NY.-
How do you dare to say that? NYC has the MET!!!!!, MoMa, The Guggenheim Museum, American Museum of Natural History,Whitney Museum. They are all iconic museums and world-renowned. The Met is the third most visited art museum in the world, and the fifth most visited museum of any kind.
Madrid and its El Prado is no way above NYC. Also, NYC is way more creative.

I find this whole thread so pointless...
Madrid could be comparable to Boston or DC. But it will never be on the same level as NYC.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Madrid could be comparable to Boston or DC. But it will never be on the same level as NYC.
Concur, Madrid is undoubtedly a great city, but New York is Gotham (reverse those if you like).

Old 09-25-2018, 05:28 AM

278 posts, read 230,548 times
Usuariodeldia.-

With all my respect and affection I feel I have to contradict him.-

I admire NY like you but I see that perhaps you do know not Madrid and maybe that s
why I despise to Madrid .

Ny today undoubtedly is the Capital of global finance since WSt and of the World political organization
from of the ONU, in these things NY has a crushing superiority but in other important things no etc

NY despite its meritorious effort of adquisition for its Museums
of Art can only be compared with Europeans in modern Art since 1850
the present .All the Art of all the Centuries before 1850 and its most important pieces are accumulated by the Europeans States and outside the market in the Vatican,
Uk,France Italy,Spain ,etc .That is why in the Art Museums of NY except in modern painting, they do not have the best ones paintings why that they are in European Museums-

Any of its Great Museums in these Countries such as the PRado Musem of Madrid would he be the best of Art of NY if it moved there and would be the most visited.

And the same extraordinary Palaces of Madrid as The Escorial and the Royal Palace of Orient that are loaded
with artistic treasures accumulated by centuries of an Empire that was gigantic ,.

The Collection of the Kings of Spain today on the Prado collects the best paintings of Belgium part of Italy and Germany ,part of France ,Holland,Spain,Portugal etc that formed part of Spanish Empire for Centuries

I understant that as an anglo-Saxon ,you do not have to not know mouch about History of Gigantic Spanish Empire a part of whose treasures are today in Madrid .
I only suggest that you visit Madrid City to wich before you compare M,contemptuously with Boston city wich by the way I also like very much .

But even if you visit unique spanish cities such as Barcelona ,Seville,Granada,etc full of artistic treasures
you will see their mistakeby the compare , with Boston.-.-

Another day we would like to compare NY with M in its Crime ,health,Metro,Parkes Cleaning and also in the fort in NY as the its theater and another kind of Museums outside of art and you will see that in enough things M is also best that NY.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:57 AM

622 posts, read 427,286 times
Madrid is faring better than Barcelona, a chaos, a lawless city with millions of beggars asking money, criminals, illegal flea market...la Ciudad sin ley - an American film whose name in English I ignore. All the action happens in the medieval city - roman perimeter, the rest is your dull European city. The Mayor is some sort of Maoist Uthopist, so go and figure.

All good restaurants are gone and now sell vomitive tapas for tourists or fast food, can't even find local food.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:18 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
Madrid is faring better than Barcelona, a chaos, a lawless city with millions of beggars asking money, criminals, illegal flea market...la Ciudad sin ley - an American film whose name in English I ignore. All the action happens in the medieval city - roman perimeter, the rest is your dull European city. The Mayor is some sort of Maoist Uthopist, so go and figure.

All good restaurants are gone and now sell vomitive tapas for tourists or fast food, can't even find local food.
I take it you like Barcelona.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:15 PM

58 posts, read 47,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
How do you dare to say that? NYC has the MET!!!!!, MoMa, The Guggenheim Museum, American Museum of Natural History,Whitney Museum. They are all iconic museums and world-renowned. The Met is the third most visited art museum in the world, and the fifth most visited museum of any kind.
Madrid and its El Prado is no way above NYC. Also, NYC is way more creative.

This whole thread is completely pointless, agreed. Because Madrid stomps everything in North America when it comes to cultural heritage or museums. Will you say that Madrid, Paris or Rome have less culture and museums than NYC, LA or Toronto? Don't make me laugh, please. You don't even know how many museums with thousands of kinds of art pieces can be found in Madrid. Let me list some of them:

- Museo del Prado
- Museo de Arte Reina Sofía (even more famous than El Prado)
- Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza (do you know who the Thyssen family were in Europe? I'm completely sure you don't, go do a quick Google search)
- Museo Arqueológico Nacional
- Museo Sorolla
- Museo de Historia de Madrid
- Museo del Romanticismo (Renaissance museum, when NYC was a flat land with bushes... the Renaissance was happening in Madrid. NYC more cultural, oh my...)
- Museo Cerralbo
- Museo de América (As far as history goes, America was discovered by a Spaniard expedition)
- Museo del Traje
- Museo Lázaro Galdiano
- Museo Naval (The Spanish Navy existed many centuries before NYC was settled)
- Museo Nacional de Artes Decorativas
- Museo Nacional de Antropología
- Museo de San Isidro
- Museo / Real Academia de San Fernando
- Museo de Lope de Vega
- Museo del Ferrocarril
- Museo de la Moneda
- Museo de Arte Contemporáneo

And I am going with 20 museums you can find across Madrid, I am not even mentioning the ultra-modern, or modern styled museums which of course, Madrid has many of them.

Just this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Palace_of_Madrid is better than anything NYC has to offer when it comes to cultural heritage or palaces, unless if you like cyberpunk tall buildings, then NYC is your place. It's like saying Rome is "outdated" with it's Colosseum, the Burj Khalifa mega-skyscraper from Dubai is way better! NYC is top in economy. This is obvious. But Madrid is top in culture. Full stop.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:00 AM

570 posts, read 507,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benetton View Post

This whole thread is completely pointless, agreed. Because Madrid stomps everything in North America when it comes to cultural heritage or museums. Will you say that Madrid, Paris or Rome have less culture and museums than NYC, LA or Toronto? Don't make me laugh, please. You don't even know how many museums with thousands of kinds of art pieces can be found in Madrid. Let me list some of them:

- Museo del Prado
- Museo de Arte Reina Sofía (even more famous than El Prado)
- Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza (do you know who the Thyssen family were in Europe? I'm completely sure you don't, go do a quick Google search)
- Museo Arqueológico Nacional
- Museo Sorolla
- Museo de Historia de Madrid
- Museo del Romanticismo (Renaissance museum, when NYC was a flat land with bushes... the Renaissance was happening in Madrid. NYC more cultural, oh my...)
- Museo Cerralbo
- Museo de América (As far as history goes, America was discovered by a Spaniard expedition)
- Museo del Traje
- Museo Lázaro Galdiano
- Museo Naval (The Spanish Navy existed many centuries before NYC was settled)
- Museo Nacional de Artes Decorativas
- Museo Nacional de Antropología
- Museo de San Isidro
- Museo / Real Academia de San Fernando
- Museo de Lope de Vega
- Museo del Ferrocarril
- Museo de la Moneda
- Museo de Arte Contemporáneo

And I am going with 20 museums you can find across Madrid, I am not even mentioning the ultra-modern, or modern styled museums which of course, Madrid has many of them.

Just this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Palace_of_Madrid is better than anything NYC has to offer when it comes to cultural heritage or palaces, unless if you like cyberpunk tall buildings, then NYC is your place. It's like saying Rome is "outdated" with it's Colosseum, the Burj Khalifa mega-skyscraper from Dubai is way better! NYC is top in economy. This is obvious. But Madrid is top in culture. Full stop.
Lol, do you want me to list you all the museums of NYC? I won't do that, there are more than 500.
NYC is a mega-city, a world-class city along London, Paris and Tokyo. NYC is not only a world leader in finance, the city is also a leader in fashion, media, arts, politics, education; Columbia/NYU university, the headquarters of the United Nations, Broadway, very famous landmarks, Sillicon Alley, US open tennis, and an endless list that has made NYC an icon ...Madrid is not on the same level, and never WILL lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World