U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 04:10 PM

857 posts, read 370,660 times

Advertisements

It seems most countries in the world do not have own languages. Instead, they use languages of others such as European variants. For examples:

American Continent: Spanish, English
African Continent: English, French
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 04:14 PM

3,975 posts, read 2,963,042 times
What? All the residents of the Americas and Africa had languages before the Europeans arrived. Plenty of these languages are still in use. FFS.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:24 PM

1,709 posts, read 690,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
It seems most countries in the world do not have own languages. Instead, they use languages of others such as European variants. For examples:

Most countries?
I'm not sure I agree.

The Americas and Australia/New Zealand (perhaps Oceania as a whole) really are the only countries/continents I can think of. If we are speaking of actively and relatively common spoken languages.

While Africa has a strong English and French presence and influence regarding languages one cannot really say that the countries in Africa don't have their own languages. BTW same could be argued for Oceania I suppose).

Perhaps instead of languages you should focus on dialects or do you for this purpose count for example
Romance languages as one and Arabic languages, and so on.....

Old 09-09-2018, 05:14 PM

2,153 posts, read 1,391,811 times
Long story short "America and Canada = all countries".

Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 PM

3,360 posts, read 5,178,606 times
There are still hundreds of native languages spoken in Australia the USA and mexico especially . Though in very small numbers compared to introduced European ones. Maori is an official language of new Zealand.

Lists like this are all over the internet, this one is pretty old, but the top 10 have not changed much.

http://www.vistawide.com/languages/2..._languages.htm

Old 09-09-2018, 06:07 PM

590 posts, read 395,057 times
lol no. Colombia alone has 60 indigenous languages and two creole languages (Palenquero and Criollo Sanandresano).

Old 09-09-2018, 07:48 PM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
Quote:

Huh????
Never developed own languages???

Not all continents are equally diverse in the number of spoken languages. Whereas Asia leads the statistics with 2,301 languages, Africa follows closely with 2,138.There are about 1,300 languages in the Pacific, and 1,064 in South and North America. Europe, despite its many nation-states, is at the bottom of the pack with just 286.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...&noredirect=on

Old 09-09-2018, 09:04 PM

16,138 posts, read 21,382,535 times
Quote:

There are over 500 native languages in Nigeria alone.

That's all I'm going to say to that.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 PM

16,138 posts, read 21,382,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Huh????
Never developed own languages???

Not all continents are equally diverse in the number of spoken languages. Whereas Asia leads the statistics with 2,301 languages, Africa follows closely with 2,138.There are about 1,300 languages in the Pacific, and 1,064 in South and North America. Europe, despite its many nation-states, is at the bottom of the pack with just 286.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...&noredirect=on
Seriously!

Does the OP think names like; Okeechobee, Oaxaca, Wollongong, and Kinshasa come from languages borrowed from Europe? LOL

Old 09-09-2018, 09:22 PM

1,709 posts, read 690,375 times
While I also think that the OP is way off track here, I do think he/she meant countries in their current form.
For example, the USA as a country did not develop their own language. Native American languages existed long before European settlers.
English for example, and of course correct me if I'm wrong, was brought to modern day England as a Germanic dialect by the Anglo-Saxons, replacing Celtic language (which I think the Irish Gaelic language/dialect belongs to) and dialect. From there it over time "developed" into "English".

At least that is how I understood the OP but I could wrong of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or