Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 04:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,900,945 times

Advertisements

Global Top 20 Destination Cities by International Visitors

These don't include same-day international visitors that come from across the border in cases like Hong Kong and Singapore, which is why they rank lower on MasterCard's list than they do on other lists (where both are in the Top 3-4 in the world). These are for international visitors that stay for more of an extended period than the same-day kinds.

https://newsroom.mastercard.com/pres...prclt=N7WYopZM

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 PM

2,969 posts, read 1,954,564 times
Well compared to previous years, 6 cities debuted on the list of 20 most visited cities:
Antalya, Turkey
Phuket, Thailand
Makkah, Saudi Arabia
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Pattaya, Thailand
Bali, Indonesia

While 6 cities fell off the top 20:
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Taipei, Taiwan
Rome, Italy
Vienna, Austria
Shanghai, China
Prague, the Czech Republic

Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 PM

10,618 posts, read 15,940,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Well compared to previous years, 6 cities debuted on the list of 20 most visited cities:
Antalya, Turkey
Phuket, Thailand
Makkah, Saudi Arabia
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Pattaya, Thailand
Bali, Indonesia

While 6 cities fell off the top 20:
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Taipei, Taiwan
Rome, Italy
Vienna, Austria
Shanghai, China
Prague, the Czech Republic
Antalya has been on this list for many years
What city is Bali

Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM

417 posts, read 441,371 times
Great list. I have been to 7 of the top 20. A few of those cities are really surprising. Pattaya? Antalya? Who'd a thunk it. Is Bali a city? I thought it was an island. Makkah? I didn't know Arabia was even issuing tourist visas. I surprised some popular cities did not make the list like Rome, Venice, Sydney, Rio, Amsterdam, and Los Angeles.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,977,817 times
Great list, so Japan is the only country with more than one city (I mean I seriously doubt about Antalia and Malorca is probably grouped as the whole island?)! I'm also happy Western cities are falling out of the list in contrast to Asia though I want to see more representing Eastern Europe, even if it's Moscow.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:06 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,361,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Great list. I have been to 7 of the top 20. A few of those cities are really surprising. Pattaya? Antalya? Who'd a thunk it. Is Bali a city? I thought it was an island. Makkah? I didn't know Arabia was even issuing tourist visas. I surprised some popular cities did not make the list like Rome, Venice, Sydney, Rio, Amsterdam, and Los Angeles.
Rio didn't surprised me because it is just too dangerous there right now. Makkah was the big surprise for me. I've been to Riyad and Jeddah, but didn't have enough time to go anywhere else in Saudi. I am also surprised NYC ranked so low i both number of visitants and amount spent.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:02 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,700,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Great list, so Japan is the only country with more than one city (I mean I seriously doubt about Antalia and Malorca is probably grouped as the whole island?)! I'm also happy Western cities are falling out of the list in contrast to Asia though I want to see more representing Eastern Europe, even if it's Moscow.
Bangkok, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand

Old 10-17-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Bangkok, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand

Also #18 Pattaya. Yes, Thailand was bursting with young travelers when I was there, but I would never have guessed 3 of the top 20 would be in Thailand.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 AM

26,777 posts, read 37,747,245 times
Makkah is Mecca, where Muslims make a pilgrimage at least once in their lifetimes. There are hundreds of millions of Muslims around the world.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Makkah is Mecca, where Muslims make a pilgrimage at least once in their lifetimes. There are hundreds of millions of Muslims around the world.

I didn't know that was Mecca. I am aware that hajj visas are issued. Is this only for Muslim men? I'm still surprised it made the top 20 list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World