U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 12:55 PM

15,899 posts, read 18,570,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It snows in Florida.
It rarely gets below 60° in Miami though.

If someone lived in that area and never left, then they might never see snow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 12:31 AM

349 posts, read 258,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A person would have to live in the tropics and never leave.

My mother lives in San Diego County and it snows there. It snows in Florida. It snows in Hawaii. Less frequently than it snows in Minnasota, but it occassionally snows in those places.

I live where we get lots of snow and that first snowfall of the year is always a thrill.

Um, no. Unless you are living on the top of a mountain, and very rarely even then, it does not snow in San Diego county or Hawaii. I lived in Tampa for several years and no, it didn't snow there, not even once, not even a single flurry.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:37 AM

16,203 posts, read 21,663,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Um, no. Unless you are living on the top of a mountain, and very rarely even then, it does not snow in San Diego county or Hawaii. I lived in Tampa for several years and no, it didn't snow there, not even once, not even a single flurry.
I wouldn't say very rarely until recently. Mount Laguna and Palomar Mountain normally do get snow each winter. Lower elevations like Julian get it more rarely but it still occurs.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:51 AM

4,052 posts, read 3,021,974 times
I recall seeing something on local television a while back indicating that the last time it actually snowed in San Diego was in 1969. And the snow quickly melted away. Having lived most of my life in the eastern part of the country snow is a nuisance and a danger to safety when driving. If I never see another snowflake in my life I wouldn’t care.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:03 PM

2,199 posts, read 7,554,322 times
I've lived in coastal Southern California and Southern Arizona for the past 19 years. In this time, I have only seen one decent snowfall, driving over the coastal mountains on Interstate 8 from San Diego to El Centro. At elevation 2500 feet, the rain turned to heavy wet snow. Luckily, there was almost no traffic on the highway. The snow covered the road pretty well, and most drivers in this corner of the map don't know how to drive in snow. The mountain pass tops at elevation 4200 feet, and the snow was very heavy by then. I was only a few miles north of the border with Mexico because my cell phone kept roaming back and forth between towers in Mexico and the USA.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:59 AM

72 posts, read 52,158 times
SoCal native here, I've never seen snowfall. I have seen snow on the ground a bunch of times, but somehow, I always miss the actual snowfall.

I was in NYC one winter and it was forecasted to snow one of days I was there, but it didn't happen.

I was in Chicago for a week once, and it didn't snow when I was there, but it snowed two days after I left.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:29 AM

847 posts, read 683,421 times
Lived my whole life (64 years) in New England. Snows every year. No big deal. Be careful driving. Shoveling is a pain.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:22 PM

361 posts, read 309,301 times
I spent last weekend in the Alps in northern Italy.
The ski resorts near Rome were still closed, so Saturday I went skiing on Monte Elmo, then I slept in Sillian in nearby Austria and on Sunday I skied on Plan de Corones.
Sunday morning, while I was driving from Sillian towards Bruneck, I got hit by a light snowfall. The road was good, and I’ve driven countless times on ice and snow, but... it was a bloody nuisance all the same.
I love snow... as long as it stays on mountain slopes

Old 12-14-2018, 04:04 PM

916 posts, read 813,704 times
I live in one of the hottest cities on Earth but during winter, I just drive 2 hours north If I want to see snow.

My first snow experience was in Eastern Europe.

I love staying in a snowy cabin in Christmas.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:42 PM

836 posts, read 255,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've lived all my life in Southern California, but experienced snowfall in Michigan, Oklahoma (just a little bit there), and on Palomar Mountain in San Diego County.

I've been in accumulated snow lots of times. Most winters you can get to ski-able mountain snow from my house in 1.5 hours.
Did you see the snow on New Year's Eve, 2014 in Robinson Ranch? I saw it falling firsthand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or