Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 02:50 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times

Advertisements

If you immigrated legally as an adult, to the US or another more advantaged country, tell us what it was like, in terms of the legal process and logistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 06:31 AM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Pull up the respective country's immigration site and do your research. In general it involves several forests of trees in form of paperwork, fees and patience; often a good measure of frustration. Depending on country and visa - rinse and repeat every so often.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:47 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
My parents emigrated to the UK in the 70's. They were practically invited, the UK had agents around the world sourcing workers as more people were emigrating from the UK than arriving and despite the IMF crisis of 1976 there was a serious shortage of workers. One of these agencies was in the small city in the coffee growing region of Colombia called Armenia which worked well due to the 60's coffee slump. They were given the infamous stamp of 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' within 2 years and unlike others they never sought benefits or even social housing, which is a bit annoying when you see people from all over the EU and the world come and get first come, first serve. At least it was like that pre-financial crash.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 11-17-2018 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Pull up the respective country's immigration site and do your research. In general it involves several forests of trees in form of paperwork, fees and patience; often a good measure of frustration. Depending on country and visa - rinse and repeat every so often.
This is not for "research", it is for the human stories of the patience and frustration that immigration sites pretend do not exist. If I asked what it's like to go to prison, would you say look up the criminal code?

Old 11-17-2018, 06:43 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I have not done so but came close a couple years ago and would guess about 50/50 that we do it in the future.

It seemed like it would be a reasonably straightforward process. My wife is a "citizen" and our children and I would be defaulted into permanent residence status immediately after submitting the proper paperwork, which didn't appear too cumbersome. The main pain point was lack of information/conflicting information on any official websites. This was alleviated somewhat easily by a face-to-face meeting at the immigration office to ask pertinent questions.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:26 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I immigrated to West Germany late 70's and don't remember having a hard time at all.
Now, immigrating to the US mid 90's was a different story - costly, lengthy, tedious, tiring and discouraging. Not really worth it. Could write a book about it.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:20 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
get first come, first serve.
Sorry. Meant to say last come, first serve.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:07 AM

To Canada from US, 1962. My employer said tell them at the border you have a job. I did and they asked me a few other questions, and gave me a permanent landed immigrant card on the spot. Took maybe a half hour. Little border crossing with only one agent on duty, late at night.

It was nicer than Vietnam.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:23 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
To Canada from US, 1962. My employer said tell them at the border you have a job. I did and they asked me a few other questions, and gave me a permanent landed immigrant card on the spot. Took maybe a half hour. Little border crossing with only one agent on duty, late at night.

It was nicer than Vietnam.
Wow. It's not like that anymore haha.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:37 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
I don't even know how my -slovak- gf could live in France without me and my help to face the wall of french administration... Carte Vitale, Banque, CAF, rent a flat, various insurances, gas, electricity, phone, everything linked to the car you own [...] ... it's already quite a thing for an aware french.
I'd say, the number of papers to fill grows exponentially with the number of day...
Nb(papers) = exp(days)

When finally everything is done and you are in the track, you can't find a job because you don't speak french. So ... we decided to move to luxembourg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World