Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 04:59 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

How does Italy compare to the US in terms of LGBT friendliness/acceptance? As a gay person myself, I have mixed feeling about Americans' attitudes toward LGBT people. There are still tens of millions of Americans in 2018 who think I'm going to hell and shouldn't have the same rights and abilities as straight people. So how does Italy compare? I noticed that same sex marriage is not legal in Italy, but civil unions are. I would imagine that the Catholic church controls much of Italy's politics, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 03:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
You are not Italian, you are American. You do not even speak the language.

Everything you ask boils down to the individual. Also, even though small compared to the US, Italy is not one monolithic country. People in the North are culturally very different from the people down South and the standard of living is also significantly higher in the North.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:52 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post

Everything you ask boils down to the individual.
Bingo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Also, even though small compared to the US, Italy is not one monolithic country. People in the North are culturally very different from the people down South and the standard of living is also significantly higher in the North.
As a general and overused meme, yes, sure, but there are also significant differences from region to region, province to province, clan to clan, neighborhood to neighborhood, household to household.

Everything boils down to the individual.

I have known many southern Italians, and I have never pitied them their standard of living, whether in material terms and certainly not in intellectual/cultural terms, anzi.

I do pity them their horribly inefficient public bureaucracy and their strait-jacketed fiscal position, and personally that predicament disgusts me, I couldn't stomach it.

But one person's poison is another person's meat.

In bocca al lupo!

Last edited by bale002; 12-08-2018 at 06:05 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 06:29 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Italy is a great place for travelling but I'm definitely not interested in living there. It just doesn't function very well.

That said I'm not interested in living in the US either.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:38 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Italy is a great place for travelling but I'm definitely not interested in living there. It just doesn't function very well.

That said I'm not interested in living in the US either.
Most people who already live in a developed country are not interested in moving to another country. Even rich people who live in poor countries don’t usually move out.

The vast majority of people who actually leave their home countries do so for economic reasons.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:00 PM

109 posts, read 95,985 times
Default Bidet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Bathrooms are way better in America.

This is nontrivial to me.
I like Italian style bathrooms because that's only country that I know to have a bidet in addition to a toilet.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:15 PM

109 posts, read 95,985 times
Being that you have a masters, I would imagine having more job opportunities in US. A distant cousin has a very high electric bill for a small apartment near Milan so things can be different but you won't know exactly what until you get there. You can visit during your vacation, but i would imagine their economy is not as strong as US. I know some who after retirement "snowbird" to Italy buying a house there and spending part of the year there and the rest in US, but I would learn the language as well as local dialect eventually because not every speaks English.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:56 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
According to a lady in my bridge club, they don’t think too highly of southerner, she heard they said something about their smell. She’s Sicilian. You may think the grass is greener. It isn’t. Older male Italians are the rudest in my travel. Sorry for the stereotype. The younger ones are very nice though.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:52 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
According to a lady in my bridge club, they don’t think too highly of southerner, she heard they said something about their smell. She’s Sicilian. You may think the grass is greener. It isn’t. Older male Italians are the rudest in my travel. Sorry for the stereotype. The younger ones are very nice though.
The northern Italians do tend to look down on those from the south. It is the usual thing that the south is more dependent on Italian and EU welfare and there is resentment that they do not contribute more. Having said that, my husband is Sicilian born and when we were travelling in the north this year he met only curiosity, not hostility. When they heard his accent they would ask about his origin and then usually switch to English, which wasn't the best for my attempts to practice Italian.

Older Italians often speak with a high modality ie the language is very direct which can make it sound aggressive. I have never found Italians of any age rude but then I have only travelled there with my DH. We found some of the French much less pleasant than the Italians on our trip this year.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:21 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
I like Italian style bathrooms because that's only country that I know to have a bidet in addition to a toilet.
Japan has built in bidets in their toilet seats, with electronic controls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World