U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:50 AM

6,197 posts, read 10,251,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
- that's a highly personal criterion.
What else is life besides a personal experience with one's own criterion?

Isn't that what this thread is about?

Any thread?

Highly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 AM

3,321 posts, read 4,675,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Italy is probably somewhere between Sweden and Botswana in that department.

I mean, the current political climate is not particularly positive towards LGBT people, but then again it's very likely you'll get beaten for this.
I think you meant to say it's NOT very likely you'll get beaten for this in Italy.

Last edited by slowlane3; 12-10-2018 at 08:16 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 08:29 AM

20,888 posts, read 26,006,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
What else is life besides a personal experience with one's own criterion?

Isn't that what this thread is about?

Any thread?

Highly.
Yeah, but if I start complaining that Sydney is a subpar city because it doesn't have good ice hockey, where does that lead us?

You would hope that in the interest of good discussion that people would take their views "up a notch", so to speak.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 AM

1,844 posts, read 446,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Japan has built in bidets in their toilet seats, with electronic controls.
I had one of those toilets in France last summer in a hotel and it was awesome.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:44 AM

1,844 posts, read 446,140 times
The reason people don't migrate to Italy is because the economy is teetering on the brink. Taxes are high and bureaucracy is bad. We took a cooking class from an American woman in Italy and she said they even tell you how much you can heat your house. No thanks. Lovely place to visit though.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 AM

15,845 posts, read 18,485,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
No, as a Muslim life in America is far easier than it would be in Italy. Islam is not a recognized religion therefore no religious holidays, time off for religious holidays not recognized as such, and mosques not official. Also, Italy has some requirement for Muslims to sign a petition like all other religions other than Catholicism have to do, except the amount of signatures required to be recognized is significantly higher.
If something as extreme as 9/11 happened in a European country, I think Muslims would be banned from the entire continent or have their rights severely diminished.

The U.S. is overly generous.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM

20,888 posts, read 26,006,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If something as extreme as 9/11 happened in a European country, I think Muslims would be banned from the entire continent or have their rights severely diminished.

The U.S. is overly generous.
The death toll of 9/11 is thankfully unequalled, but Western Europe has in the 21st century and especially in recent years, seen significantly more terrorist attacks in the name of Islam than the U.S. has.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:59 AM

15,844 posts, read 8,300,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
The reason people don't migrate to Italy is because the economy is teetering on the brink. Taxes are high and bureaucracy is bad. We took a cooking class from an American woman in Italy and she said they even tell you how much you can heat your house. No thanks. Lovely place to visit though.
I work for an international engineering consulting company and worked with a couple of Italians and they pay their engineers almost nothing so they emigrated to UK and went to work for an American company.

Italy has a lot of good things to recommend it but pay and job opportunities aren't there.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:52 AM

10,593 posts, read 5,099,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Well, Italy is obviously not for you.
I love Italy. You can’t say that Italy is not for me, I will decide that. However, I will say when I stayed at bigger hotel like the Hilton, I didn’t have any problem. I’m just saying you can’t trash America until you know the real Italy. I suspect these macho men would not be too welcome for the LGBT people either, they have problem treating women period, what makes you think they will treat the LGBT people right. It’s all about respect.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:45 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,389,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I work for an international engineering consulting company and worked with a couple of Italians and they pay their engineers almost nothing so they emigrated to UK and went to work for an American company.

Italy has a lot of good things to recommend it but pay and job opportunities aren't there.
I cannot overstate how different wages are between the US and Italy.
In Italy, to earn 30k per year is considered decent middle class (after taxes), in the US is considered a subpar wage.
My mother is a job-injury doctor in Italy, she earns approximately 3200 € per month after 11 years of university (it takes that long to become a full-fledged doctor here), that is less than 50k per year counting bonuses and everything.
In Québec I met doctors earning 200k per year.
And it is not even a matter of cost-of-living: Northern Italy is quite expensive and the big cities, such as Milan where job opportunities are concentrated, are very expensive, on par with most other European capitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or