U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:11 AM

15,860 posts, read 8,300,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I cannot overstate how different wages are between the US and Italy.
In Italy, to earn 30k per year is considered decent middle class (after taxes), in the US is considered a subpar wage.

My mother is a job-injury doctor in Italy, she earns approximately 3200 € per month after 11 years of university (it takes that long to become a full-fledged doctor here), that is less than 50k per year counting bonuses and everything.
In Québec I met doctors earning 200k per year.
And it is not even a matter of cost-of-living: Northern Italy is quite expensive and the big cities, such as Milan where job opportunities are concentrated, are very expensive, on par with most other European capitals.
Yes and I think it will eventually lead to higher wages because on many of our Engineering/Construction projects, we hire Italian companies to finish our designs and construct....I'm currently working a project where my company did the initial design and a large Italian company did the finish design and construction and it seems like they are getting more and more business (possibly due to lower wages?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 12:19 PM

261 posts, read 48,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The death toll of 9/11 is thankfully unequalled, but Western Europe has in the 21st century and especially in recent years, seen significantly more terrorist attacks in the name of Islam than the U.S. has.

My neighbor, that died recently, was from Dresden, there's a historic, well-remembered background of bombings which makes the 9.11 somewhat insignificant.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:34 PM

20,890 posts, read 26,014,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
My neighbor, that died recently, was from Dresden, there's a historic, well-remembered background of bombings which makes the 9.11 somewhat insignificant.
Sure, but look at the post I was responding to.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:26 PM

261 posts, read 48,540 times
But really, it seems that the population here are not so dramatical here since many that have been raised with the memories of entire cities being blasted away. perhaps there's certain acquired-inherited- ability to forget and go ahead.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM

5,935 posts, read 2,553,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure what you mean by Islam being an official religion and mosques being official in the US????

Also, being favorable or enthusiastic about Islam or any other religion is not what necessarily makes a country a better place to live - that's a highly personal criterion.
No it is related to religious freedom which is a human right. By official I mean it is not a recognized religion in Italy.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:46 PM

5,935 posts, read 2,553,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If something as extreme as 9/11 happened in a European country, I think Muslims would be banned from the entire continent or have their rights severely diminished.

The U.S. is overly generous.
The US is overly generous? So do you suggest we restrict religious freedoms? What a shame if so.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:50 PM

892 posts, read 801,648 times
Not generous, but more accepting.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:46 PM

6,198 posts, read 10,253,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
The US is overly generous? So do you suggest we restrict religious freedoms? What a shame if so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If something as extreme as 9/11 happened in a European country, I think Muslims would be banned from the entire continent or have their rights severely diminished.

The U.S. is overly generous.
9/11 had to do with oil politics and their factions in respective countries, of which so-called Islam is a tool, one of many fungible tools.

The two major sides have long since kissed and made up; it will take much more than the mere murder of a meddling journalist to change the current balance.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:53 AM

6,582 posts, read 4,776,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
My mother is a job-injury doctor in Italy, she earns approximately 3200 € per month after 11 years of university (it takes that long to become a full-fledged doctor here), that is less than 50k per year counting bonuses and everything.
That is remarkably low. That's the salary of residents here. Doctors (attendings) here of that age would make 100k+ per year.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,389,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes and I think it will eventually lead to higher wages because on many of our Engineering/Construction projects, we hire Italian companies to finish our designs and construct....I'm currently working a project where my company did the initial design and a large Italian company did the finish design and construction and it seems like they are getting more and more business (possibly due to lower wages?)
It is possible: lots of Italians are emigrating nowadays (we are like in the top 10 of country with people emigrating legally), mostly those with degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That is remarkably low. That's the salary of residents here. Doctors (attendings) here of that age would make 100k+ per year.
Wages have been stagnant since 1995 as far as I remember from official statistics but the cost of living, especially in the North, is not that lower than the best regions of Germany or Northern Europe.
The only thing keeping the country afloat is the fact that Italians tend to save much more than other Europeans and Americans, so we can count on what our relatives saved in the past (it amounts to more than 3k billions euros if I remember well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or