U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 04:26 AM

254 posts, read 105,102 times

Advertisements

As a Spaniard who knows the 2 Countries ,this is my neutral opinion.-

This thread I should differentiate say where you live better in the USA or in in the North of Italy
of south or Central of Italy.-

Because they are 3 very different countries.-

USA they have salaries and employment higher than in Italy .This is very important .But in everything else
that makes life more refined living Italy is superior.-

Perhaps in Northern Italy the city of TOrino , can be closer to the Economic advantages of the USA, with the Italian refinement.It is a magnificent rich industrial city with excellent trade and gastronomy and a very elegant citizenship and great cultural and artistic environmment.But its climate is cold could be a city very similar to Lyon (FRANCE) or a of GERMAN city like Munich but inhabited by italians of the North very different of the Italians of the South of Italy.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 04:42 AM

361 posts, read 308,976 times
Turin is far less rich than Milan. It is also less rich than Rome, Florence or Bologna, just to name a few important Italian cities.

Furthermore Turin is packed full of Southerners; one might even consider it the most populous “southern Italian city” bar Naples and maybe Palermo

Old 12-15-2018, 02:56 PM

11,701 posts, read 8,085,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
that was a witty pun

As for bidets being standard in France, well, let’s wait for locals to chime in.
I’ve been dozens of times there and honestly I didn’t get that impression.
LOL...I'm funnier than I know...got to love typos.

My guess is that there are many still around, and depending on the buildings age, or recent reno's may or may not have one. So perhaps standard is the wrong word now.

My friend in Lyon who lives in a building just 20 years old, has one.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:00 PM

Which is better?

I think comparing a relatively small country to a large one brings ups some issues. If we were comparing the US to Europe, then Europe for me!!

Old 12-15-2018, 03:04 PM

475 posts, read 161,487 times
Quote:
Turin is far less rich than Milan. It is also less rich than Rome, Florence or Bologna, just to name a few important Italian cities.

Furthermore Turin is packed full of Southerners; one might even consider it the most populous “southern Italian city” bar Naples and maybe Palermo
Turin has one huge advantage, as a tourist, compared to the other cities you mention. It is much less inunda ted with other tourists. We had five days in Turin this year and all our group really loved it and its surroundings. Whereas I avoid Rome at all costs as it is just ruined by mass tourism.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:21 PM

8,099 posts, read 6,350,363 times
I've never lived somewhere with a bidet, nor did my parents when I asked them (and they've moved countless times). I've seen them only in hotels, it's definitely not a standard appliance to have in your bathroom nowadays, and hasn't for quite some time.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I've never lived somewhere with a bidet, nor did my parents when I asked them (and they've moved countless times). I've seen them only in hotels, it's definitely not a standard appliance to have in your bathroom nowadays, and hasn't for quite some time.
I've rented apartments in the southwest of France, and they all had bidets...mind you these buildings hadn't been renovated since the 1970's.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:36 PM

825 posts, read 252,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Turin has one huge advantage, as a tourist, compared to the other cities you mention. It is much less inunda ted with other tourists. We had five days in Turin this year and all our group really loved it and its surroundings. Whereas I avoid Rome at all costs as it is just ruined by mass tourism.
For all the complaints of tourists overcrowding Paris, Rome, Versailles, etc. all of that pales in comparison to the things of tourists in Beijing.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:09 PM

1,470 posts, read 615,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
For all the complaints of tourists overcrowding Paris, Rome, Versailles, etc. all of that pales in comparison to the things of tourists in Beijing.
Most tourists in Beijing are Chinese.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:49 AM

6,048 posts, read 3,196,828 times
Quote:
As a general suggestion, in order to avoid nasty surprises, one should always check the driving rules of the Country one’s in.
In Italy for example changes in speed limits are always signalled by road signs. This is not the case in Austria: every time one comes across a road sign indicating the beginning of a village, a town or a hamlet the speed limit drops implicitly to 50 kph. Lots of Italians (and other foreigners, I suppose) get fined for speeding since they‘re blissfully unaware of such rule

I don't think it's that common in Italy honestly, I often wonder what the speed limits in some sections. In France it is rigourously signaled every 2 minutes.

Actually I feel that the speed limit in Italy is often understood as the minimum speed limit by the locals.

As for bidets, they were common in French houses in the past, for instance at my parents place we have bidets. Honestly they're not being used very much since we tend to have separated cubicles for toilets, whereas the bidet is in the bathroom.

Also there is a social stigma for the bidet since it used to be representative of public tolerance houses (places where gentlemen went secretly) so it's not considered very morally clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or