Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I see that most people 'over there' watch too many Hollywood movies! What is this nonsense about China 'taking over the world' or Russia 'moving in on Europe' lol
It's truly bizarre who uninformed most americans are. I know very well as I have lived here most of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
China scares me. They have the demographics, political stability and forward vision to become a major force in world politics.
Yes, be very scared. China has been around for much longer than the US. They know how to conquer the world through military, economic, and cultural tactics. 99% of the products I buy in the US are made in China. Americans are hooked on cheap Chinese products like junkies on drugs. In some ways they have taken over the US without firing a single shot. They have successfully bullied their smaller neighbors such as Vietnam and the Philippines. They are operating in Africa and South America. On the technological front, they just became the only country to land a probe on the far side of the moon. The Chinese walls are closing in on America's dominance.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Last edited by davidt1; 01-03-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 04:09 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Yes, be very scared. China has been around for much longer than the US. They know how to conquer the world through military, economic, and culture tactics. 99% of the products I buy in the US are made in China. Americans are hooked on cheap Chinese products like junkies on drugs. In some ways they have taken over the US without firing a single shot. They have successfully bullied their smaller neighbors such as Vietnam and the Philippines. They are operating in Africa and South America. On the technological front, they just became the only country to land a probe on the far side of the moon. The Chinese walls are closing in on America's dominance.

No, China has too many geographic and demographic problems to survive the next 100 years.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:15 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Yes, be very scared. China has been around for much longer than the US. They know how to conquer the world through military, economic, and cultural tactics. 99% of the products I buy in the US are made in China. Americans are hooked on cheap Chinese products like junkies on drugs. In some ways they have taken over the US without firing a single shot. They have successfully bullied their smaller neighbors such as Vietnam and the Philippines. They are operating in Africa and South America. On the technological front, they just became the only country to land a probe on the far side of the moon. The Chinese walls are closing in on America's dominance.

This is too nice to China. China hasn't even broken through the First Island Chain - Japan, Taiwan, Philippines - yet. Their naval projection is extremely weak and they are pushing away potential allies with their South China Sea strategy, which has only moved Vietnam and the Philippines closer to the U.S.

China's problem is that it is a nation-state. For all talk of diversity, Han Chinese are at the heart of every layer of power. And just like Pan-Asianism failed for Japan in WWII, it will fail for China as well. In an era of fervent nationalisms, China isn't a brother to its Asian compatriots, but an existential threat.

As a result, China cannot have a foreign policy of "being the guardian of Asia" - as it had for many centuries - because adjacent countries don't want or need a guardian.

South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and Vietnam aren't going to be sending bouquets of roses to Xi Jinping thanking him for tutelage. They are trying to maximize their defensive capabilities to deter Chinese interference.

Because China is a nation-state, they don't have any appeal to neighboring countries. Even their fellow Communist compatriots in Vietnam dislike China - a vestige of centuries of animosity since China pushed Vietnam south into its current borders.

China still conceives of Asia as it was 500 years ago, with a bevy of satellite states who would thank the Chinese Emperor for his generosity in not destroying them by sending him jewels and other luxuries. China has never stopped conceiving of itself as the Celestial Kingdom at the heart of the universe. And they think that at some point China's neighbors will simply accede to Chinese ecumenical tutelage.

But they haven't yet broken through the American alliance system and it's becoming clear they can only advance their national interest going forward through hard power, the buying of economic influence, and tapping its fifth column in ASEAN: the Bamboo Network.

The problem is hard power takes decades to build. It's not simply about building an aircraft carrier, but training the Chinese Navy to use their new gadgets. Training a military is a multi-decadal process. Look at Saudi Arabia today. They have good gadgets, but their military is incredibly weak. If Iran invaded Saudi Arabia, the Saudi army would fall apart in weeks. They are neither battle-tested nor experienced in modern warfare. And blowing up Yemenis with drones is hardly the type of combat experience a country needs to defend itself.

Buying of economic influence is temporary. As we see with Taiwan, as soon as another country provides a better offer, all of your economic influence goes poof.

And the Bamboo Network is both a blessing and a curse. It gives China a reason for being involved in the politics of its neighboring states by ensuring the well-being of Chinese minorities abroad, similar to how Russia wields influence in its near abroad. But it also creates animosity among native populations who see the Chinese as trying to buy their way into power.

It's why the Malaysians have spent the better part of 5 decades trying to weaken the Chinese minority and why national elites are trying to pare back the influence of their ethnic Chinese nationals.

In the end China for the next 25 years will be building strength to break through the First Island Chain, which will eventually happen. Then comes another 25 years of them trying to break through the Second Island Chain of Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands. But China has so many continental interests to defend that it will never become a global hegemon. It will simply become a continental behemoth in various stages of rivalry with India and the United States. So long as that happens, China will remain a continental power.

China can buy African dictators off, but China doesn't exert cultural pull in Africa. So its influence there will be limited.

The same with Latin America. The U.S. has little interest in Latin America these days yet the region still gravitates towards Washington. Why? Because cultural attraction is sticky and increasingly important in maintaining hegemony.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No, I live in 2019, a mere 74 years since the end of WW2. By the way, what started WW1? No one can really answer the question of why it was necessary that Europe tear itself apart.
You seriously think the world is the same as it was in 1914!!! Or 1939 for that matter!! Really!?

Old 01-04-2019, 05:43 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But we won't likely see it happen in our lifetimes.
got a crystal ball or a time machine have you? you cant possibly know.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:02 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You seriously think the world is the same as it was in 1914!!! Or 1939 for that matter!! Really!?
No, actually I don't. Post war Europe modeled itself after America so it certainly shouldn't happen again.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:13 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
No, actually I don't. Post war Europe modeled itself after America so it certainly shouldn't happen again.
I wouldn't bank on it, there is a lot of anti American feelings in Europe at the moment.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:04 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
got a crystal ball or a time machine have you? you cant possibly know.
The United States has a pretty solid foundation as a country. In spite of all the noise you might hear, there is very little fundamental change in this country from year to year or even from decade to decade.

This country will probably chug along at 2% annual GDP growth and about 1% annual immigration, on average, for many years to come. Nobody has a crystal ball, but I don't see a collapse on the horizon.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:37 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Quote:

How exactly did it model itself after America? I see massive differences between their respective economic, social and political systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World