U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 08:02 AM

872 posts, read 544,800 times

Advertisements

I’m not sure an Economist article and personal anecdotes are proof positive that US Dutch across the board are more conservative than European ones today - whether morally, socially, or politically.

There may have been a large segment that emigrated who strived to maintain some native cultural traits and practices in order to keep a sense identity, even as they assimilated and became Americans. But many groups do this to varying degrees.

Adding to my half-serious anecdote, I’ve noticed more rural/suburban folks in the countries I’ve visited tended to be more conservative than city folks. This included Belgium, with another liberal-leaning government and supposedly an equally liberal populace. The main dividing issue there, as related by a local suburbanite, was more due to behaviors of specific immigrant groups. I personally did not experience or sense any hostility.

Again, not sure how valid the OP is in today’s evolving NL and European social and political landscapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:45 PM

352 posts, read 260,615 times
Great question by the OP. Where I live in central Pennsylvania, there are plenty of Amish and Mennonites of Dutch/German decent. They are very conservative, I find the Amish more authentic in there beliefs and good natured, the Mennonites more self righteous and full of themselves. I have been to Amsterdam and wow, there is nothing in common between them. People there were very open and friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or