Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 12:26 PM

7,868 posts, read 10,232,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
This is an interesting thread. Afrikaners are also very conservative.
People who move seem to be more religious, the Scots who moved to Northern Ireland are way more Conservative too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 12:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 841,866 times
Wouldn't this topic apply to all Americans with Northern European backgrounds? Even British.

My own family came over from the UK centuries ago so I have no idea how they originally were or how the UK was back then, but most are conservative. I have Scandinavian relatives who grew up in Scandinavia in the 20th century and they're ultra-conservative.

Maybe it's (1) self-selection plus (2) leaving the "homeland" when it was different than it is today plus (3) having different experiences in the US versus back in the "homeland".

Old 12-23-2018, 02:59 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,351,989 times
All Euro Americans and more conservative than their cousins that stayed in Europe. Probably the people who left were more restless individualistic. I'd guess British Americans are the most conservative rather than Dutch, German, etc.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:28 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,431,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm interested in any replies, because, now that I come to think of it, the Dutch Americans I know (those who actually emigrated from the Netherlands and their first-generation children, not Americans with distant Dutch ancestry) are all staunch Protestant conservatives. I don't know how they vote.
There is a reason/link why they left their liberal land and vote conservative now.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:30 PM

102,064 posts, read 106,986,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
This is an interesting thread. Afrikaners are also very conservative.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:08 PM

14,204 posts, read 11,469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't know why you're shocked, but the two South African families I know personally (people who left South Africa in the 1990s) are VERY conservative.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:16 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,269,485 times
Many ultra-religious people from all over Europe immigrated to the US because of the freedom of religion which was not prevalent in Europe at the times. Thus, many of these immigrants were not mainstream Catholic or Protestant. That could be a reason why many times white Americans are more conservative than their European counterparts. Groups like Amish, Mennonites and many Evangelical churches hardly exist any more in Europe.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Don't know why you're shocked, but the two South African families I know personally (people who left South Africa in the 1990s) are VERY conservative.
I'm shocked, because someone's comparing conservative Americans to Boers!!

The SA escapees I know, all single women, are liberal and wonderful. They say, that not only was the regime brutal toward the Native population, it was brutal toward women as well. Well, not on a policy level, but domestic violence was common.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:26 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,233,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Many ultra-religious people from all over Europe immigrated to the US because of the freedom of religion which was not prevalent in Europe at the times. Thus, many of these immigrants were not mainstream Catholic or Protestant. That could be a reason why many times white Americans are more conservative than their European counterparts. Groups like Amish, Mennonites and many Evangelical churches hardly exist any more in Europe.

My history high school teacher explained to us that the less tolerant people were kicked out of europe, and once they settled on the east coast, the less tolerant people of the new amercans were kicked out and moved to the midwest, where the less tolerant of the remaining people were kicked out to finally settle in places like Utah or other remote areas where they could bother no one else.

That probably explains the different attitudes between euros and their american counterparts.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
My history high school teacher explained to us that the less tolerant people were kicked out of europe, and once they settled on the east coast, the less tolerant people of the new amercans were kicked out and moved to the midwest, where the less tolerant of the remaining people were kicked out to finally settle in places like Utah or other remote areas where they could bother no one else.

That probably explains the different attitudes between euros and their american counterparts.
This jibes with info I'd found, when researching genealogy. I was surprised at the time, because you never hear about this in history classes, usually (you had a good teacher!), but the first arrival of my grandmother's lineage, to the early colony, was said to be a Puritan, and he was run out of town, or out of the settlement, for that. Thanks for posting this nugget of info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World