U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 04:48 AM

9,453 posts, read 3,219,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I used to work a week per month in Cambridge. Remove the students and it’s not even 100,000. Oxford isn’t much bigger. I thought we were talking about cities? Like big enough to support an EPL team or an NFL team.
Both have official city statrus in the UK.

In terms of major British Industrial cities, the levels on investment have made them very different places to the 1980's. Cities such as Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Glasgow etc have seen massive investment.

In terms of mny of these cities they have impressive buildings from Empire, Georgian Quarters and beautful greenery.

Other cities such as Edinburgh, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff etc are also worth visiting, with their fine buildings and cultural events.

Cities in north and Midlands dominate growth measure | Business | The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-31-2018 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 02:46 AM

7,330 posts, read 6,203,760 times
Quote:
I used to work a week per month in Cambridge. Remove the students and itís not even 100,000. Oxford isnít much bigger. I thought we were talking about cities? Like big enough to support an EPL team or an NFL team.
The UK has a much smaller population than the US therefore the cities on average are going to be much smaller, Burnley has an EPL team (pop 87,000), Oxford and Cambridge are throbbing metropolis' in comparison. London and Birmingham are the only UK cities with a population greater than 1 million people.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 AM

12,107 posts, read 6,293,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The UK has a much smaller population than the US therefore the cities on average are going to be much smaller, Burnley has an EPL team (pop 87,000), Oxford and Cambridge are throbbing metropolis' in comparison. London and Birmingham are the only UK cities with a population greater than 1 million people.

This is kind of nonsense. You measure population by metro area, not city limits.

Birmingham - 3.7 million
Manchester - 2.7 million
Leeds - 2.3 million
Liverpool - 2.2 million

Those are the non-London cities rounding out the top-5. I've spent considerable time in all of them. They aren't "aesthetically beautiful". That's what I meant by "London vs Not London" for the major cities.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
This is kind of nonsense. You measure population by metro area, not city limits.

Birmingham - 3.7 million
Manchester - 2.7 million
Leeds - 2.3 million
Liverpool - 2.2 million

Those are the non-London cities rounding out the top-5. I've spent considerable time in all of them. They aren't "aesthetically beautiful". That's what I meant by "London vs Not London" for the major cities.
I would say a lot of British cities outside London are extremely beautiful.

Many have beautiful georgian architecture, grand buildings from the age of Empire and beautiful parks and gardens.

Photo of Grainger Town Grey Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne

The Best UK City Breaks | 13 Beautiful UK Cities To Visit For A Short Break

I don't see what's not "aesthetically beautiful" in respect of many British cities, from Inverness and Aberdeen down to Edunburgh and Glasgow, through to Newcastle Upon Tyne with it's Geirgian Architecture and the beautiful university cities of Durham and York. Even the large North Western cities such as Liverpool with it's UNESCO World Heritage site water front through to Manchester, a city with many fine old buildings and squares, to the bustling Leeds with it's glorious arcades. Whilst Sheffield is one of the greenest cities in the UK, and Nottingham is a very nice city to visit.

Birmingham has been transformed in recent years, with a vast new shopping area replacing the Bullring, lots of redevelopment and a magnificent new station. Whilst Bristol is a very attractive city, and both Cardiff and Swansea are both very pleasant cities. Then you have the likes of Brighton and the South Coast, which are home to some magnificent coastline.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-02-2019 at 09:18 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 09:12 AM

3,095 posts, read 1,827,008 times
there is nothing beautiful about a city, no matter where it is.
they are collections of badly designed modern structures with people scurrying here and there trying to make a living, most of our UK town centres are failing with lots of empty shops.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
there is nothing beautiful about a city, no matter where it is.
they are collections of badly designed modern structures with people scurrying here and there trying to make a living, most of our UK town centres are failing with lots of empty shops.
The UK has lots of very attractive cities and far from failing, major cities are doing very well.

List of cities in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

I would suggest there are cities beyond London that are well worth visiting in the UK, and many have fine architecture, culture and shopping centres.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:28 AM

3,095 posts, read 1,827,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The UK has lots of very attractive cities and far from failing, major cities are doing very well.

List of cities in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

I would suggest there are cities beyond London that are well worth visiting in the UK, and many have fine architecture, culture and shopping centres.
as long as you don't mind getting stabbed by some git on a moped . or blown up at a concert, or knocked down by a car on a bridge, thanks, I know which I prefer.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
as long as you don't mind getting stabbed by some git on a moped . or blown up at a concert, or knocked down by a car on a bridge, thanks, I know which I prefer.
What are you going on about.

The murder rates in US Cities far exceed that in Britain and terrorism can happen ahywhere.

In terms of scooters, the Police have succesfully reduced the number of incidents and they are still declining, whilst the last major terrorist attack was in not even in 2018.

By midnight on the 31st December 2018 in London, there had been 134 murders, which is pretty good for a city approaching 9 million, with 4 million Daily Commuters and nearly 20 million overseas visitors.

Most cities in the world, would be delighted with such a figure, and London is still much safer than it was in 2008 when there were 221 murders, indeed the murder rate has largely been declining since including record lows. As for NYC it ended the year with 289 murders, which is low but still more than double the number in London and NYC is one os the safest cities in North America.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 AM

7,330 posts, read 6,203,760 times
Quote:

Birmingham - 3.7 million
Manchester - 2.7 million
Leeds - 2.3 million
Liverpool - 2.2 million

You're wrong:-

https://thegeographist.wordpress.com...uk-population/
http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...lation/cities/
http://www.citypopulation.de/UK-Cities.html
http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...sandcities2016

Old 01-02-2019, 10:48 AM

432 posts, read 207,510 times
Those statistics are within the city limits alone. If your reading comprehension was at the adult level, you will realise that the population given in the previous comment was for the metro area.

For example, San Francisco only has a population of about 885,000. This does not really reflect the pull the city has. The wider SF Bay Area has about 8 million people, and this better reflects the city as a whole. Same goes to Paris, which only has 2 million people but the wider area is comparable to London in population.

This is why comparing cities based on population alone is a bit inaccurate as different cities define their own city differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or