U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:27 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,337 posts, read 6,206,211 times
Reputation: 4897

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Those statistics are within the city limits alone. If your reading comprehension was at the adult level, you will realise that the population given in the previous comment was for the metro area.

For example, San Francisco only has a population of about 885,000. This does not really reflect the pull the city has. The wider SF Bay Area has about 8 million people, and this better reflects the city as a whole. Same goes to Paris, which only has 2 million people but the wider area is comparable to London in population.

This is why comparing cities based on population alone is a bit inaccurate as different cities define their own city differently.
Those statistics are the city population - yes within the city limits, that's what a city population is! As an example Wolverhampton, West Bromwich etc may well be next to Birmingham but they are towns in their own right, Stockport may well be close to Manchester but it isn't Manchester it is a town in its own right. London and Birmingham are the only tow cities in the UK with a population of more than 1 million inhabitants. Things may be perceived differently in the US because of the sheer size of the place ie a cities 50 miles apart may well be considered as part of the same urban area whereas here they would be half the country away! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:32 AM
 
Location: rural south west UK
3,099 posts, read 1,828,960 times
Reputation: 3542
[quote=Brave New World;54034498]What are you going on about.

The murder rates in US Cities far exceed that in Britain and terrorism can happen ahywhere.

In terms of scooters, the Police have succesfully reduced the number of incidents and they are still declining, whilst the last major terrorist attack was in not even in 2018.

By midnight on the 31st December 2018 in London, there had been 134 murders, which is pretty good for a city approaching 9 million, with 4 million Daily Commuters and nearly 20 million overseas visitors.

Most cities in the world, would be delighted with such a figure, and London is still much safer than it was in 2008 when there were 221 murders, indeed the murder rate has largely been declining since including record lows. As for NYC it ended the year with 289 murders, which is low but still more than double the number in London and NYC is one os the safest cities in North America.[/QUOTE
that's 134 murders too many and we all know the police haven't got a clue, especially with a Met chief who spouts pc rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
9,468 posts, read 3,222,838 times
Reputation: 5626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post

that's 134 murders too many and we all know the police haven't got a clue, especially with a Met chief who spouts pc rubbish.
You are always going to have some murders in a city of nearly 9 million, however the police have set up a violence reduction unit based on the succesful unit in Glasgow.

As for the current Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick, I don't recall her being the PC, in fact she has in terms of operational policing, increased the use of stop and seaarch, allowed the ramming of mopeds and has over ruled the Mayor Sadiq Khan and has allowed the use of armed patrols in areas wiuth gang activity. Hardly the stuff of political correctness. Cressida Dick has also had to deal with budget constraints but has just got on with the job at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 06:38 AM
 
Location: rural south west UK
3,099 posts, read 1,828,960 times
Reputation: 3542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You are always going to have some murders in a city of nearly 9 million, however the police have set up a violence reduction unit based on the succesful unit in Glasgow.

As for the current Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick, I don't recall her being the PC, in fact she has in terms of operational policing, increased the use of stop and seaarch, allowed the ramming of mopeds and has over ruled the Mayor Sadiq Khan and has allowed the use of armed patrols in areas wiuth gang activity. Hardly the stuff of political correctness. Cressida Dick has also had to deal with budget constraints but has just got on with the job at hand.
I lived in a city for over 40 years and we never had murders to that number, one or two but usually drug related.CD blames all her problems on Brexit, and the mayor of London's ego keeps getting in the way of the job.
every time I switch on the news there seems to be a report of another murder or three.
okay, I don't live in London, but this is how it seems from the provinces, maybe some people are happy to live in such a place but you couldn't pay me enough.

Last edited by bigpaul; 01-03-2019 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 AM
 
Location: London, UK
2,577 posts, read 1,341,253 times
Reputation: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Those are the non-London cities rounding out the top-5. I've spent considerable time in all of them. They aren't "aesthetically beautiful". That's what I meant by "London vs Not London" for the major cities.
Put any of those cities anywhere in the USA and they would be major tourist attractions! The grandeur of the medieval cathedrals, Victorian and Georgian architecture and rows of townhouses plus extremely pedestrian friendly cores beat many cities aesthetically in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 AM
 
Location: rural south west UK
3,099 posts, read 1,828,960 times
Reputation: 3542
most of our UK cities got the hell beat out of them in WW2 then got replaced by 60s monstrocities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Paris
8,102 posts, read 6,367,567 times
Reputation: 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Those statistics are the city population - yes within the city limits, that's what a city population is! As an example Wolverhampton, West Bromwich etc may well be next to Birmingham but they are towns in their own right, Stockport may well be close to Manchester but it isn't Manchester it is a town in its own right. London and Birmingham are the only tow cities in the UK with a population of more than 1 million inhabitants. Things may be perceived differently in the US because of the sheer size of the place ie a cities 50 miles apart may well be considered as part of the same urban area whereas here they would be half the country away! :-)
No real point in using city limits population figures, unless you work for the mayor or something as city limits are extremely arbitrary. By this measure Chongqing is more than twice as large as Tokyo and Rome is larger than Paris. West Bromwich probably wouldn't be nearly as populated if it wasn't for Birmingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:03 PM
B87
 
Location: Norwich, UK
10,912 posts, read 7,090,051 times
Reputation: 2533
These are a couple of pics I took back in the summer, fairly typical of the suburbs in SW London.





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
9,468 posts, read 3,222,838 times
Reputation: 5626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I lived in a city for over 40 years and we never had murders to that number, one or two but usually drug related.CD blames all her problems on Brexit, and the mayor of London's ego keeps getting in the way of the job.
every time I switch on the news there seems to be a report of another murder or three.
okay, I don't live in London, but this is how it seems from the provinces, maybe some people are happy to live in such a place but you couldn't pay me enough.
I am no fan of the Mayor, as for living in a city for over 40 years that never had the same murder rate, it all depends on how large the city you are talking about is and what it's population is.

There are very few cities of London's size that have such a low murder rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
most of our UK cities got the hell beat out of them in WW2 then got replaced by 60s monstrocities.
There are plenty of very beautiful cities in the UK, and no they weren't bombed to destruction.

London was one of the most bombed cities and has stunning architecture, and you can see stunning georgian ad historic architecture in Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh and many other UK cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 AM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,500 posts, read 1,691,213 times
Reputation: 1023
Judging by what I could see in the Street View, UK looks better in terms of architecture and USA looks better in terms of urbanism. The only thing that I completely dislike in UK are the most recent buildings in the City; they are spoiling the skyline. The "Walkie Talkie", especially, is an eyesore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top