U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:38 AM

3,135 posts, read 1,837,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am no fan of the Mayor, as for living in a city for over 40 years that never had the same murder rate, it all depends on how large the city you are talking about is and what it's population is.
not a big city, a provincial one and a population the fraction of London's.
I find nothing beautiful about a city, especially UK cities, too many people and too much traffic but then i'm biased

Last edited by bigpaul; 01-04-2019 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 09:51 AM

9,501 posts, read 3,235,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
not a big city, a provincial one and a population the fraction of London's.
I find nothing beautiful about a city, especially UK cities, too many people and too much traffic but then i'm biased
UK Cities actually have relatively good public transport and train systems, have lots of parks and greenspace and are not as car orientated as many cities across the world. At the same time cities such as London have a congestion charge and there are plans for cities to become zero emmission with increased clean public transport, more paedestrianisarion and more bike routes.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:53 AM

3,135 posts, read 1,837,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
UK Cities actually have relatively good public transport and train systems, have lots of parks and greenspace and are not as car orientated as many cities across the world. At the same time cities such as London have a congestion charge and there are plans for cities to become zero emmission with increased clean public transport, more paedestrianisarion and more bike routes.
it all sounds good but then we see reports about train cancellations and traffic problems on the roads, cities just have too many people crammed into one place, the last time I was in London I saw lots of people hanging off the bars in the underground like a load of zombies, I prefer the peace and quiet of the open countryside, I cant abide crowds and noise.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:32 PM

6,840 posts, read 11,834,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
Which Country out of the two would have better looking Cities , Small Towns , Suburbs and overall give out a vibe of being orderly ?
There are some classic English towns in the rural areas but for cities I'd say the United States for sure. A lot of the British urban landscape can be depressing and overcrowded. Public housing in the UK is especially depressing and very visible (its less visible in America). A lot of the most beautiful historic cities in the US like Charleston and Savannah have traditional British architecture (Bermuda too) and these areas are more beautiful than a lot of the built environment of modern Britain.

Britain's beauty is in its small towns and historic sites such as the grand estates, castles, cottages etc. London was a nice city but I honestly can't say its more beautiful than Charleston, Savannah, Colorado Springs, San Diego, Miami or even Washington DC.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:56 PM

6,007 posts, read 7,083,615 times
The U.K. has something we Americans just cannot compete with....1000 year old towns. Some of them are very beautiful.

We do have some very beautiful cities though. Savannah Georgia, Charleston SC, Boston MA, San Diego California and New Orleans are all really great cities in the USA to visit. Do they compare to the ones in the U.K.? That is a tough question. Our cities are just so diffyfrom those across the Pond.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:46 AM

9,501 posts, read 3,235,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There are some classic English towns in the rural areas but for cities I'd say the United States for sure. A lot of the British urban landscape can be depressing and overcrowded. Public housing in the UK is especially depressing and very visible (its less visible in America). A lot of the most beautiful historic cities in the US like Charleston and Savannah have traditional British architecture (Bermuda too) and these areas are more beautiful than a lot of the built environment of modern Britain.

Britain's beauty is in its small towns and historic sites such as the grand estates, castles, cottages etc. London was a nice city but I honestly can't say its more beautiful than Charleston, Savannah, Colorado Springs, San Diego, Miami or even Washington DC.
London is a vast city and is more comparable to NYC than any of the cities you mention.

I also note that you tend to be quite selective in your pick of cities, with no mention of Philadelphia, Baltimore, Detroit, Flint, Cleveland, St Louis etc etc.

Even post-industrial cities such as Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds have seen massive investment in recent decades, and continue to see significant change.

In terms of Charleston and Savannah, they have the same populations as smaller British cities such as Oxford and Cambridge or Brighton and is Colarado Springs any more impressive than say Edinburgh, a city of a similar size.

List of cities in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

It's also not really comparing like for like, when you compare a vast country like the US with an island 22 miles off the coast of Europe, which has good transport links with Europe.

If you really want to compare Washington DC, then both Paris and Brussels are both only a couple of hours from London on a train.

As for Miami, again it's comparable with the South of France, and you can catch a direct train to from London to the South of France or can easily fly to more comprable cities such as Barcelona.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM

2,471 posts, read 1,423,786 times
For cities, UK.

For suburb, US.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:16 AM

10,447 posts, read 12,634,411 times
The vast majority of US suburbs are simply terrible. The UK wins this easily.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:21 AM

11,494 posts, read 17,040,674 times
Both places have lots of appeal and you could go tit for tat all night.

I will say the UK probably takes it in the small town category. There ain't much like Oxford over here. Of course, Europe as a whole tends to have nicer towns and villages due smaller space and older, grander architecture.

Someone mentioned Newcastle. I visited a friend there once and had a great time. I came away saying it was "like going to Baltimore in England". A bit safer though.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:16 PM

2,168 posts, read 1,209,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The vast majority of US suburbs are simply terrible. The UK wins this easily.
What's your definition of terrible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or