U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:01 AM

496 posts, read 225,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
What's your definition of terrible?
I can't speak for Vlahos, but my definition of "terrible" would be:

Soul-destroying
Lack of life
Isolating
Lack of sense of community
Full of big-box stores rather than mom & pop shops
Neighbourhoods lack identity (they all look and feel the same)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 AM

UK suburbs have a village feel. There was a study done by LSE on what the ideal UK "suburb" is, and I agree with their assessments:

(1) Small and intimate (compact)
(2) Locally driven and locally responsive (the residents have a sense of ownership of their community)
(3) Unique identity
(4) Designed for social interaction (walkable, permeable to pedestrians, and has places for people to congregate)
(5) Functional (has retail, leisure, and service facilities)
(6) Mixed community (has range of age, incomes, employment vs residential)

Old 01-09-2019, 05:11 AM

9,766 posts, read 3,322,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Someone mentioned Newcastle. I visited a friend there once and had a great time. I came away saying it was "like going to Baltimore in England". A bit safer though.
Baltimore with a population of 620,000 had around 300 murders last year, the last figures that are available for Northumbria Police which covers Newcastle Upon Tyne, Noth Tyneside, Gateshead, South Tyneside, Sunderland and the entire county of Northumberland which equates to a population of nearly 1.5 million, was 17 murders and manslaugter cases in 12 months.

Baltimore nears 300 homicides for fourth straight year - Baltimore Sun

Baltimore Reaches 300 Homicides For 2018 CBS Baltimore

There are some rough areas of every city, however Newcastle is nothing like Baltimore, and in terms of architecture the city itself is full of stunning georgian architecture and connected by a superb Mero system.

Newcastle Upon Tyne was named Rough Guides top place to visit in the world for 2018, and has been included in numerous top ten cities in the world for night life.

Newcastle upon Tyne - Wikipedia

Newcastle named top place to visit in 2018 by Rough Guides | The Independent

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-09-2019 at 05:25 AM..

Old 01-09-2019, 07:09 AM

7,365 posts, read 6,256,512 times
Quote:
Both places have lots of appeal and you could go tit for tat all night.

I will say the UK probably takes it in the small town category. There ain't much like Oxford over here. Of course, Europe as a whole tends to have nicer towns and villages due smaller space and older, grander architecture.

Someone mentioned Newcastle. I visited a friend there once and had a great time. I came away saying it was "like going to Baltimore in England". A bit safer though.
There is some truth to this however I live in a 'new town' in the UK, there are a handful of 'new towns' built specifically after the last World War to help with housing shortages, it gets a lot of stick from people because it lacks 'old world charm'. The truth is you can't give a town, city or village 'old world charm' if it isn't old however what the place 'lacks' in 'old world charm' it makes up for in 'modern' conveniences, good roads, good transport system (designated cycle tracks so you don't risk life and limb sharing your road with trucks and lorry's), plenty of leisure activity opportunities. Canterbury may look 'Dickensian' and is in fact very beautiful but the traffic has to contend with roads from the middle ages whereas the roads in my town are multi-laned and designed for use by modern vehicles, it can make for a more 'pleasant' experience when doing the mundane things like getting to work!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:03 AM

11,574 posts, read 17,096,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Baltimore with a population of 620,000 had around 300 murders last year, the last figures that are available for Northumbria Police which covers Newcastle Upon Tyne, Noth Tyneside, Gateshead, South Tyneside, Sunderland and the entire county of Northumberland which equates to a population of nearly 1.5 million, was 17 murders and manslaugter cases in 12 months.

Baltimore nears 300 homicides for fourth straight year - Baltimore Sun

Baltimore Reaches 300 Homicides For 2018 CBS Baltimore

There are some rough areas of every city, however Newcastle is nothing like Baltimore, and in terms of architecture the city itself is full of stunning georgian architecture and connected by a superb Mero system.

Newcastle Upon Tyne was named Rough Guides top place to visit in the world for 2018, and has been included in numerous top ten cities in the world for night life.

Newcastle upon Tyne - Wikipedia

Newcastle named top place to visit in 2018 by Rough Guides | The Independent
Dats what I said Ace. Newcastle is a helluva safer than Baltimore.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is some truth to this however I live in a 'new town' in the UK, there are a handful of 'new towns' built specifically after the last World War to help with housing shortages, it gets a lot of stick from people because it lacks 'old world charm'. The truth is you can't give a town, city or village 'old world charm' if it isn't old however what the place 'lacks' in 'old world charm' it makes up for in 'modern' conveniences, good roads, good transport system (designated cycle tracks so you don't risk life and limb sharing your road with trucks and lorry's), plenty of leisure activity opportunities. Canterbury may look 'Dickensian' and is in fact very beautiful but the traffic has to contend with roads from the middle ages whereas the roads in my town are multi-laned and designed for use by modern vehicles, it can make for a more 'pleasant' experience when doing the mundane things like getting to work!
Sounds like what is called "New Urbanism" over here. Towns are built as you describe but lack old world charm- they often look like movie sets. But they are very efficient and generally pleasant.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 AM

10,508 posts, read 12,697,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
What's your definition of terrible?
Soulless auto sewers with no redeeming human qualities other cheap hideous housing.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM

9,766 posts, read 3,322,847 times
Quote:
Dats what I said Ace. Newcastle is a helluva safer than Baltimore.
You said a bit safer, when in fact it's a lot safer than Baltimore.

As for Newcastle as I have already pointed out it is an attractive city with a lot of Georgian Architecture, a good transport system and an excellent University.

It's a fairly good city tro visit, hence the Rough Guide reccomendation.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 AM

My auntie and her family lives in Milton Keynes, which is one of the "New Towns" built after WWII. It's ugly but it's functional. Just like with American cities, it is zoned -- separate zones for shopping, employment, residential -- and therefore, auto-centric.
That being said, Milton Keynes still is better than the sprawling US cities like Houston and Phoenix.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You said a bit safer, when in fact it's a lot safer than Baltimore.

As for Newcastle as I have already pointed out it is an attractive city with a lot of Georgian Architecture, a good transport system and an excellent University.

It's a fairly good city tro visit, hence the Rough Guide reccomendation.

The use of "a bit" was an example of irony, something I would think you would know something about. Of course it is safer than Baltimore. Most places are! Good grief! You lot endlessly accuse us Yanks of being uptight and ultra serious. Then we crack a joke and you react like the prison guard in Clockwork Orange.

My comparing it to Baltimore was not an insult. Baltimore, despite its issues, can be a fun place to visit. Both cities have a fun, but less pretentious vibe than the more worldly cities (London, New York).

As for Newcastle itself, I clearly stated I had a good time there. Friend turned me on to Owd Rodger ale. Damn! Strong stuff that.

Now please Brave Owd World, you are mistaking what people write. Just like on the History thread regarding the RAF bombing Dresden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or