U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2019, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
9,500 posts, read 3,235,554 times
Reputation: 5643

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The use of "a bit" was an example of irony, something I would think you would know something about. Of course it is safer than Baltimore. Most places are! Good grief! You lot endlessly accuse us Yanks of being uptight and ultra serious. Then we crack a joke and you react like the prison guard in Clockwork Orange.
It sounded more like an actual statement of fact rather than irony or sarcasm, and it now sounds like you are trying to backtrack.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth

My comparing it to Baltimore was not an insult. Baltimore, despite its issues, can be a fun place to visit. Both cities have a fun, but less pretentious vibe than the more worldly cities (London, New York).

As for Newcastle itself, I clearly stated I had a good time there. Friend turned me on to Owd Rodger ale. Damn! Strong stuff that.

Now please Brave Owd World, you are mistaking what people write. Just like on the History thread regarding the RAF bombing Dresden.
I am not sure what resemblance Baltimore has to Newcastle, indeed lots of cities can be said to be fun places to visit. Although given Baltimores murder rate I would be careful where I ventured in the city.

As for trying to bring other dicussions in to the mix regarding Dresden of all things, I think that discussion belongs on that thread, rather than using it to spout nonsense on this thread.

As for the Marston's Owd Rodger (7.4% Volume) , I think you should cut down on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2019, 11:15 AM
 
11,494 posts, read 17,040,674 times
Reputation: 5666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It sounded more like an actual statement of fact rather than irony or sarcasm, and it now sounds like you are trying to backtrack.




I am not sure what resemblance Baltimore has to Newcastle, indeed lots of cities can be said to be fun places to visit. Although given Baltimores murder rate I would be careful where I ventured in the city.

As for trying to bring other dicussions in to the mix regarding Dresden of all things, I think that discussion belongs on that thread, rather than using it to spout nonsense on this thread.

As for the Marston's Owd Rodger (7.4% Volume) , I think you should cut down on it.
Thank you for verifying my observations. First pint is on me. I think you need it more than I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
9,500 posts, read 3,235,554 times
Reputation: 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Thank you for verifying my observations. First pint is on me. I think you need it more than I.
Your observations were based on the fact that both cities are somehow similar, which you have provided no evidence for other than stating both cities are fun.

I don't call dodging bullets or avoiding areas of cities to avoid joining murder statistics much fun and they are very dissimilar in terms of serious violent crime.

Newcastle does have some good pubs and the famous Newcastle Brown Ale and Marston's Ows Roger are two very good pints, and even though we have disagreed slighgtly I would indeed have a pint with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,209 posts, read 7,920,978 times
Reputation: 5452
The suburbs are certainly more ordered than in the US but the one thing I don't like is the prevalence of attached housing. I have no desire to share a wall on both sides of my home. That's not even mentioning the fact that sunlight only comes in the front and the back. Also there is a lot more creative architecture here with the homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 03:10 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,590 posts, read 1,344,359 times
Reputation: 1446
As someone whose actually been to Baltimore and actually enjoyed my time there, I can definitely see a loose connection to Newcastle especially as harbour cities.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Also there is a lot more creative architecture here with the homes.
Bog-standard I would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Great Britain
9,500 posts, read 3,235,554 times
Reputation: 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

As someone whose actually been to Baltimore and actually enjoyed my time there, I can definitely see a loose connection to Newcastle especially as harbour cities.
Newcastle is not a harbour, it's on a river but it not a coastal city and does not have a large expanse of water like Baltimore. The Tyne meets the North Sea in North Tyneside and South Tyneside at North Shield/Tynemouth and South Shields. The river wasa a big ship building river but was never a harbour or a city with a vast harbour like expanse of water.

Nearby Sunderland is more of a harbour/coastal city than Newcastle.

Saying Newcastle is harbour city, is a bit like describing London and thew Thames as a harbour city.

Baltimore does have a significant expanse of water around it, and the Patapsco River and Chesapeake which it runs in to are significatly different to the Tyne.

Personally I think the Liverpool Waterfront offers a better comparison with Baltimore than Newcastle does.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-09-2019 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 05:10 PM
 
2,065 posts, read 769,660 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am no fan of the Mayor, as for living in a city for over 40 years that never had the same murder rate, it all depends on how large the city you are talking about is and what it's population is.

There are very few cities of London's size that have such a low murder rate.



There are plenty of very beautiful cities in the UK, and no they weren't bombed to destruction.

London was one of the most bombed cities and has stunning architecture, and you can see stunning georgian ad historic architecture in Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle, Edinburgh and many other UK cities.
Tokyo being one of them. It seriously puts most western cities to shame with how well organized it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
9,500 posts, read 3,235,554 times
Reputation: 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Tokyo being one of them. It seriously puts most western cities to shame with how well organized it is.
Tokyo and Japan are now opening their door to immigrants, which may impact many parts of the cuture over time. As for Tokyo It's the exception rather than the rule and not many cities the size of London are as safe as London in terms of homicides.

One in ten Tokyoites in their 20s are now foreigners - Nikkei Asian Review

Famous for its resistance to immigration, Japan opens its doors - Nikkei Asian Review

The face of immigration is rapidly changing in Japan | The Japan Times

The Economist even includes Japanese immigration as one of it's big stories for the year ahead in their uoutube video below.




Last edited by Brave New World; 01-11-2019 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 PM
 
10,447 posts, read 12,631,568 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Tokyo and Japan are now opening their door to immigrants, which may impact many parts of the cuture over time. As for Tokyo It's the exception rather than the rule and not many cities the size of London are as safe as London in terms of homicides.

One in ten Tokyoites in their 20s are now foreigners - Nikkei Asian Review

Famous for its resistance to immigration, Japan opens its doors - Nikkei Asian Review

The face of immigration is rapidly changing in Japan | The Japan Times

The Economist even includes Japanese immigration as one of it's big stories for the year ahead in their uoutube video below.



If Japan doesn't allow immigration, it will continue decline but at a faster rate than it is now. It has been losing population for a while and dragging down the economy with it.

The US is approaching that as well. Without immigration, we would be losing population. And our idiot President seems to want that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
9,500 posts, read 3,235,554 times
Reputation: 5643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
If Japan doesn't allow immigration, it will continue decline but at a faster rate than it is now. It has been losing population for a while and dragging down the economy with it.

The US is approaching that as well. Without immigration, we would be losing population. And our idiot President seems to want that.
I am not arguing for or against immigration in Japan, I am merely stating that immigration can have a cultural impact and crime rates may alsi be effected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top