U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:16 PM

15,990 posts, read 18,625,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I live in Boston area and the nearest Wal-Mart is like 30 miles away.
Even if you are from the Midwest, there are other supermarkets such as Meijer, HEB...
That’s funny, I looked on google maps and found about a dozen Walmarts in the Boston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 01:43 PM

74,540 posts, read 66,170,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Ruth, I've never seen Russians *missing* Chinese- made goods ( which they consider subpar comparably to European goods.)
What I DO hear however quite often is that Russians are envious of Chinese who kept their Communist party around and that's why in their ( ignorant) opinion the capitalism in China turned out much better than in Russia. They are pointing at the expansion/improvement of infrastructure over there and growth of wealth among the population.
Little do they know that the major factor here is not the "Communist party," but the fact that back in the nineties the US designated China for being its major workshop, and Russia - for gradual destruction.
People who had an opportunity to venture out into the world in the early 90's experienced the most shock. Chinese goods hadn't flooded Russia yet, not much, at that time. There was no awareness of the whole issue of cheap Chinese goods. Also, Chinese goods aren't the only ones on the market in SE Asia, not to mention Turkey, and other such countries that Russians were able to afford to vacation in, back then. But aside from manufactured goods, there's also the abundance in the grocery stores and markets, that's part of the "shock" factor. Russia still has problems with food production and distribution.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:55 PM

6,376 posts, read 6,264,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Thatís funny, I looked on google maps and found about a dozen Walmarts in the Boston area.
I don't know why you say that. Even within 20 miles of downtown Boston, there are not "a dozen" Walmarts, more like 4~5 of them.

Obviously you are not familiar with Boston. If you live in Newton, Waltham, Arlington, Lexington and so on (all residential towns), the nearest Wal-mart is at least 15 miles away. People don't go there every week.
Attached Thumbnails
What is a third world country?-wmmap.png  

Last edited by Bettafish; 01-04-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 02:27 PM

946 posts, read 404,898 times
The three world classification was originally proposed by Mao of China.

Under Mao’s definition back in 1970s:

First World: US and USSR, the two superpowers

Second World: developed rich countries such as Europe, Japan, Canada and Australia

Third World: all others, in his words Africa, Asia and Latin America

Mao did this for world class struggle theory so he could be the leader of majority. Now, the majority wants payments from China no one believes friendship.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:32 PM

2,893 posts, read 1,051,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well Portugal IS at the bottom of first world. Eastern Europe, Greece, and Portugal are the bottom.
But Portugal has a higher life expectancy than the US. So do Costa Rica, Chile and Cuba. Does that count?

Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 PM

14,120 posts, read 12,941,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People who had an opportunity to venture out into the world in the early 90's experienced the most shock.

Of course they did, since this was the time when the curtain went down, plus by that time Russia was running low on everything, food including.

Quote:
Chinese goods hadn't flooded Russia yet, not much, at that time. There was no awareness of the whole issue of cheap Chinese goods.

At the beginning of the nineties China didn't have much to offer yet, but comparably to disaster that Russia was at that historic period...

Quote:
Also, Chinese goods aren't the only ones on the market in SE Asia, not to mention Turkey, and other such countries that Russians were able to afford to vacation in, back then.

Back when exactly? From what I remember, Russians en mass were able to vacation in those places only after Putin came in power and the price of oil went up. But by that time Russians were already raving about Spanish jamon and French cheeses that filled Russian stores - the European stuff Russians REALLY like.

Quote:
But aside from manufactured goods, there's also the abundance in the grocery stores and markets, that's part of the "shock" factor. Russia still has problems with food production and distribution.

I dunno Ruth, it's not the nineties any longer - far away from it.

( English subs are available.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SCN_D9EfgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9YK0mMiuQ

Of course with sanctions and all, Russians went back to their local specialties - smoked fish, shashlyk and all, and it doesn't mean that they are craving Chinese food ( European foods - yes; there is still nostalgia for those ones from what I've noticed.)

Since you find interesting Asian parts of Russia, you might like this video - the Moscovites are checking out the farmer's market in Astakhan' - the groceries, the prices.

( No English subs here for those who'd like to watch it too, sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaCjOm_aBfA&t=516s

Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I live in Boston area and the nearest Wal-Mart is like 30 miles away.
Even if you are from the Midwest, there are other supermarkets such as Meijer, HEB...

This was not my question ( how far do you live from the nearest Wal-Mart.) This is the book that might help you understand what I am talking about -

https://www.amazon.com/Wal-Mart-Effe.../dp/0143038788

or at least the short overview of this book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wal-Mart_Effect

Quote:
That being said, made-in-China certainly changed America, but China does not only depend on US market. That is the logic.
If you visit Africa, the Middle East and Southeast Asia, you will see Chinese influences are there too. Americans tend to overestimate themselves.
At THIS point in time - of course China does not depend on the US market only. Of course you can see China more and more entrenched in international affairs.

I'd say the geniuses of Bentoville ( and not only) have dug America a grave.
Greed kills.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
The three world classification was originally proposed by Mao of China.

Under Maoís definition back in 1970s:

First World: US and USSR, the two superpowers

Second World: developed rich countries such as Europe, Japan, Canada and Australia

Third World: all others, in his words Africa, Asia and Latin America

Mao did this for world class struggle theory so he could be the leader of majority. Now, the majority wants payments from China no one believes friendship.

Well he was wrong, because Russia was never a "first world country."
Russia in fact IS the ultimate second world country, for a reason that it shares common ground with both first world countries and third world countries.
Third world countries ( in the modern world) are usually not capable of developing independently their own space programs. On another hand first world countries don't run such rampant corruption and they are not dependent on foreign capital in their development.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
But Portugal has a higher life expectancy than the US. So do Costa Rica, Chile and Cuba. Does that count?

I don't think it really counts, lol.
This whole "life expectancy" depends on some hypothetical ideas, that apparently don't include the fact that certain ethnic groups have longer life span than other to begin with.

If "higher life expectancy" would have been a definite indicator of the "nation's wealth," these people would have been the wealthiest of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9RJBgNB1ZI

Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 PM

3,112 posts, read 1,490,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
G20 is the organisation for the 20 largest economies, not wealthy ones. It's also political since they have a handful of countries that are nowhere near top 20 in it because they need African representatives (South Africa and Nigeria) or some other bull**** reasons.
I donít know about South Africa but Nigeria is expected to be a top 20 world economy in 20 years and was already one in 2015 when it had 500 billion+ Dollars and over a Trillion in PPP economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or