U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Manila 5 29.41%
Mexico City 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 06:26 PM

90 posts, read 23,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Curious to hear more about Manila here. Mexico City is outstanding, in spite of its flaws, perhaps favorite city I’ve visited and I’ve been a lot of places. Make a case for Manila though. What aspects would I want to visit?
To appreciate Manila, you have to accept the fact that it's not in any way like a Latin American or European city. Most of the historic areas were destroyed during WW2. Manila only has one historic area that wasn't completely destroyed during WW2- Intramuros (the walled city).

Credit to Intramuros Administration on Facebook:

Outside of intramuros, there are still a few old buildings left, mostly churches, and also the University of Santo Tomas. The oldest existent university in Asia (1611)

Credit to Rod on flickr

Manila is striving more to be a modern Asian city than a historical Latin city. So you're going to see more shiny skyscrapers, malls, etc. rather than nice historic buildings. It still has a loooong way to go before it's anything like Hong Kong, Singapore, or Tokyo. But there are lots of different central business districts throughout the city that are modern, clean and walkable.

Makati has been traditionally been the main financial district of the Philippines

Credit to Rolen Facundo on Flickr

BGC is another district. It's the most modern part of Manila. It's built completely from the ground-up in the past 2 decades. And you can see that they're still adding more buildings and filling it in

Credit to stardex on flickr

The whole district is pedestrian-friendly. Here's the central part of BGC, which is Bonifacio High Street

You can see how the shops, restaurants, and entertainment are right there on the sidewalk. So tons of people are out walking, hanging out, and dining outside. This goes on from one end of BGC to the other.

Ortigas is another major district. It's mostly known for huge shopping malls. Its not my favorite district because it's not as walkable as the others I mentioned. But they've been trying to make it more walkable over the past few years.

Credit to Justin Uy on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/rylejustinuy/27729082194/

Those are the three main business districts, but there are several other smaller districts besides those. Now the task is connecting all those districts via mass-transit because the traffic is so horrible. There are a few existing train lines, with more being built, and a subway system under-construction.

Manila doesnt have a lot of parks (it has too many golf course instead). But Rizal Park is a decent-sized urban park

Credit to warubikku on DJI

Surrounding the park, there are 3 nice museums:

the Natural History Museum

Credit to Ligon Manuel on flickr

The National Fine Arts Museum

Credit to traveleatpinas

and the National Museum of Anthropology

Credit to pndlm gpl on flickr

The Manila Aquarium and the National Planetarium are also around the park. So you can spend a whole day museum-hopping in the same area.

Manila also has the oldest Chinatown in the world. It was built by the Spanish, across from the Spanish district Intramuros, so that the Spanish could keep an eye on the Chinese. Even to this day, there are people moving straight from China to this area. It's not the cleanest or prettiest place, but there's a lot of life and good food.

There's an old church (1600's) built specifically for Chinese Catholics, and there are street shrines where you can see people mixing traditional Chinese and Catholic beliefs. It's unique and interesting to see

Last edited by manolopo; 01-08-2019 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:15 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,709,298 times
Very interesting and it raises the bar for Manila for me and I repped you as a result (kent moore/manolopo). I believe it is the most densely populated city in the world when taking in account whole cities/citywide, correct?

Old 01-09-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Very interesting and it raises the bar for Manila for me and I repped you as a result (kent moore/manolopo). I believe it is the most densely populated city in the world when taking in account whole cities/citywide, correct?

The most densely populated thing is misleading because it's only talking about Manila city, which is a small part of Metro Manila.

It's only 43 sq km, and it has 1,800,000 residents. Metro Manila as a whole is about 620 sq km and has a population of 12 to 13 million. So it has around the same population density as Paris (21,000 per sq km). Sometimes news programs and documentaries are very misleading and say things like "Manila has 12 million people and is the most densely populated city on earth" So they're using the overall population of Metro Manila but with the population density of the city of Manila. They do this to be dramatic.

Manila isn't even the major city in Metro Manila. Makati, Taguig, Quezon City, Pasig, and arguably even Pasay are all more important than Manila city. Manila city is mostly the older part of the city, and a lot of the biggest slums. So Metro Manila isn't a traditional metropolitan area, where you have 1 major important city and a bunch of suburbs. The different cities in Metro Manila are like the different borroughs in NYC

Old 01-09-2019, 07:17 PM

2,582 posts, read 1,343,393 times
Whilst Manila has its thing going on, it really can't compete with the grandeur of Mexico city both in the historical and the modern.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 PM

4,406 posts, read 4,085,530 times
Santa Fe District, Mexico City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agXBSExEYf8&t=44s

Mexico City - Santa Fe District by francerobert2001, on Flickr

Mexico City - Santa Fe by francerobert2001, on Flickr

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

15,777 posts, read 35,184,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
To add:
Metro Manila is undergoing massive infrastructure overhaul, worth $180B rolled over 5 years. Hopefully by 2022, the traffic will be less.
That's good to hear!

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

5,972 posts, read 6,543,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
It's unique and interesting to see
Wow, thanks for that amazing post, mano. I have been to Manila and yet don't really feel like I have seen it all. Our visit was only 4 days to see some old friends and was basically spent just catching up and hanging out in swanky malls, bars, spas and hotels lol. They lived in a well-protected gated community and all of our transportation was via chauffeur so I didnt even get to see much traveling from one place to another. Hopefully I'll get another chance to visit the "real" Manila before too long.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

2,582 posts, read 1,343,393 times
Mexico City

Centro Histórico by Martino Jiménez, on Flickr

Bellas Artes Palace & Sunset by Luís Henrique de Moraes Boucault, on Flickr

Golden hour.
by ulterior epicure, on Flickr

Paseo de la Reforma, México DF by Dan, on Flickr

Chapultepec por la mañana by Rodrigo Gomez, on Flickr

Inside Mexico | Travel | Claudia Del Rivero Photography by Claudia Del Rivero, on Flickr

mexico_city_26-29.09.18-5336 by Oluić, on Flickr

Madero
by Leo Romsog, on Flickr

Torre Latinoamericana (10:01) by Luis Javier, on Flickr

Mexico City by Zara Evens, on Flickr

Tourist Bus
by gigglesyee, on Flickr

view from the Monumento a la Independencia by eric, on Flickr

Museo Soumaya by Grzegorz Mielczarek, on Flickr

IMG_6138 by Raquel Paraiso, on Flickr

SkyLine Santa Fe Mexico
by in-dErick, on Flickr

Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

264 posts, read 104,042 times
I chose Mexico City, a very stuning city with many european-style buildings .. wow amazing pics

Old Today, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

This part of town reminds me of BGC in Manila

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1bfcgZIk5w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or