U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:56 AM

21,083 posts, read 26,240,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Believe it or not, Winter.

I'm one of the few canadians who never gripes about the clear, cold days we get to live in.
Today it's -15oC outside and I'm lovin' it. I also love the clear, unpolluted air I breathe. Apart from those things, nothing.
Most places have better cities, food and more interesting cultures than Canada in my experience.
Put me down as one who misses winter as well. I don't miss the winter if I go somewhere warm for a week or two in the middle of it, but going an entire year without the seasonal change... yes I miss it.

Also, if I am an a very arid place for a long time I also miss greenery and lush vegetation after a while.

I guess most of the things I miss are related to the natural setting, as opposed to stuff related to the human world.

That's probably because I tend to embrace the local culture wherever I go, and appreciate what's there that I don't have at home, as opposed to missing the stuff from here that I just happen to be used to (and which may or may not be "better").

There is lots of "human" stuff that I do like about home, but I know it'll be there whenever I get back. I don't need to take it with me when I travel abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM

6,656 posts, read 4,845,676 times
Food

Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 PM

21,083 posts, read 26,240,025 times
Does anyone miss being around people speaking their own language?

Personally, I can speak a few languages and get by in a few more, so I am a bit of a chameleon. On a functional level, I am usually fine.

But being in a place where almost no one speaks my native language (French) for a long time, I have found I miss speaking it and tend to seek out people from Quebec, France or elsewhere for a bit of immersion in it.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:35 AM

23,486 posts, read 22,475,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Does anyone miss being around people speaking their own language?

Personally, I can speak a few languages and get by in a few more, so I am a bit of a chameleon. On a functional level, I am usually fine.

But being in a place where almost no one speaks my native language (French) for a long time, I have found I miss speaking it and tend to seek out people from Quebec, France or elsewhere for a bit of immersion in it.
This is it for me, especially when I have a question and am having a difficult time with the language. My kingdom for someone who speaks English.

Old Today, 11:33 AM

9,598 posts, read 3,269,353 times
1. Watching the Football results come in on a Saturday and supporting your team.

2. A quite pub with a nice big fire and platy of good ales to choose from.

3. Nice Hot Cup of British Tea along with biscuits, desserts, chocolate etc

4. British comfort food, roast dinner, fish and chips, British breakfast and bacon sandwiches.

5. The Weather and Seasons including the rain.

6. British countryside, History ad Architecture.

7. British TV and Entertainment.

8. Familiar British Shops.

9. British self deprecating humour, sarcasm and irony along with British phrases and customs.

10. Family and Friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or