U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 3rd world or not 3rd world
Mexico 7 22.58%
China 1 3.23%
India 16 51.61%
Jamaica 14 45.16%
Dominican Republic 11 35.48%
Argentina 2 6.45%
Brazil 3 9.68%
Peru 7 22.58%
Columbia 6 19.35%
South Africa 4 12.90%
Ghana 21 67.74%
Rwanda 21 67.74%
Egypt 12 38.71%
Nigeria 19 61.29%
Iran 6 19.35%
Oman 5 16.13%
Jordan 7 22.58%
Pakistan 18 58.06%
Nepal 18 58.06%
Bangladesh 24 77.42%
Vietnam 10 32.26%
Myanmar 19 61.29%
Ukraine 5 16.13%
Serbia 3 9.68%
Moldova 7 22.58%
Armenia 4 12.90%
Angola 21 67.74%
Mongolia 13 41.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 AM

16,225 posts, read 21,722,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Maybe you could include as a third world country one that still has the death penalty, the world's highest incarceration rate, 94% without a trial, no universal health care, the world's highest age of consent (18) and drinking age (21)'.
I agree with this post for he most part but confused by the bold part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Ten American states have retained as a prosecutable felony for any adult to have sex with any consenting 17-year-old. In order to maximize the number of incarcerations, plea-bargained without a trial, in for-profit prisoms listed on the stock exchange. Third world.. Feel welcome, as an expert, to defend that posture.

If any 17-year-old lacks the maturity to make that judgment herself, that's on her parents.
Nevermind my other post to you. I get what you're saying now.I am curious though, not judging you but are you ok with say a 35 year old being with a 16 year old? Why or why not?

Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 AM
AFP

6,297 posts, read 3,829,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Nevermind my other post to you. I get what you're saying now.I am curious though, not judging you but are you ok with say a 35 year old being with a 16 year old? Why or why not?
That's generous of you I admit to being an unapologetic cultural snob on some issues.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:14 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,697,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
That's a major misconception in Brazil. Even Uribe, Colombia's furthest right president in recent history not only recognised but upheld the title deeds of Native American and Black ancestral lands in the legislature and constitution.

What's been alleged via his connection with illegal paramilitary groups is another matter but legally there was no threat to these groups unlike with Bolsonaro that stokes a feeling of disgust towards minorities through his words and actions.

Santos even went against the US on crop fumigation and eventually advocated towards a discussion of legalisation to the horror of Trump. Now Colombia is producing more coke than ever and Venezuela's narco-government is capitalising on this. Prohibition just doesn't work.

The main reason why Colombia is so close militarily with NATO is because the rest of South America (bar Peru) turned their backs on the country. Refusing to declare FARC or ELN as terrorist groups (which NATO did) and supporting Chavez, Correa, Ortega & co. in their hostile attitudes towards the Colombian government.
If you want my opinion, Bolsonaro is a clown. I regard him as a mix of Donald Trump and Rodrigo Duterte. Most of his electors were not in favour of his conceptions about minorities, native people and so on, but because he appeared as the most effective alternative against that corruption, mismanagement and anticapitalist bias of the Workers' Party of Lula and Dilma Rousseff, which destroyed not only the economy but the hope of the people. It was much more an "anti-Lula" vote than any other thing.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That's generous of you I admit to being an unapologetic cultural snob on some issues.
You have daughters, I don't so we will react to this very differently. I am genuinely curious about this though.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:41 PM

646 posts, read 331,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
If you want my opinion, Bolsonaro is a clown. I regard him as a mix of Donald Trump and Rodrigo Duterte. Most of his electors were not in favour of his conceptions about minorities, native people and so on, but because he appeared as the most effective alternative against that corruption, mismanagement and anticapitalist bias of the Workers' Party of Lula and Dilma Rousseff, which destroyed not only the economy but the hope of the people. It was much more an "anti-Lula" vote than any other thing.
True. Bolsonaro is like Trump he speaks lots of bull**** what nobody in Brazil really cares and we are sure this things can’t be changed only because he wants.

What made Bolsonaro win was because he outsourced economic administration and his economists team has a great reforms agenda towards become Brazil more capitalist, liberal and oppen market. Brazil only had parties with left wing and social democracy mindset, Bolsonaro was the opportunite that Brazilians have never had to implement a more right wing agenda MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT he is willing to make the reforms that Brazil needs urgently.

When he speaks about gays and minorities he speaks for himself, when Paulo Guedes speaks about economy is what matter. It is the feeling of most Brazilians, this ******* oldman is the unique politician disposed to make impopular but necessaries reforms.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Then there's this

U.S. approved arrival of thousands of child brides from foreign countries - Story | KTVU

Old 01-14-2019, 01:46 PM
AFP

6,297 posts, read 3,829,785 times
I've recently come across this and have a problem with there not being an age limit. If they accept these filthy lowlife pigs marrying 13 year olds in their countries it's one thing but this current loophole makes the domestic US gov't complacent.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 1,355,105 times
Quote:
Well then in that case Brazil is not aligned to Colombia politically. This is a constant misconception I've encountered with every Brazilian I've met; that Colombia has US military bases, it has none. Colombia grew closer to the US not because it was anti-Lula but because Lula, Kirchner, Chavez & co were anti-Colombian government.

Saying Bolsonaro is like Duque is like saying Ollanta Humala is like Maduro, its ludicrous.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:45 PM

95 posts, read 46,089 times
Quote:
This classification of first, second and third world is more historical than practical. But, as it's still popular, I consider the full capitalist countries as first world, the current and former communist states in transition to capitalism to second world, and all the rest of third world - even if countries like Chile and Zimbabwe has almost nothing (for avoiding saying "absolutelty nothing") in common.

Well... Chile does best than Greece in the economy and, for many criteria, it can already be qualified as an advanced economy. But you know... Latin America is a highly unstable region and Venezuela, once as rich as Chile is today, became one of the poorest countries of the world. Indeed, after looking what happened to Venezuela, I find difficult for chileans to choose the way of the left (or even right) populism and destroy everything that they have built.

Colombia is more similar to Brazil than any other place in the world. The same qualities, the same issues, the same challenges and, now, even the same political view.

Peru is poorer than average South America, but surprisingly stable. We hardly hear something bad happening in Peru, but we also hardly could think in Peru as a very rich country. Let's say that they live generally well without the need of being rich.

Argentina is, after Venezuela, in the saddest situation. They managed to migrate from the first to the third world and never recovered what it was in the past. One hundred years ago, Argentina was richer than France and was a so successful country that it was called "the southern answer to USA". Now, while still far of being a tragedy like Venezuela, it's a mess in terms of economy and politics.
I agree with a lot of what you said until you got to your part about Argentina. You're calling Argentina third world?! No! Not even close.

Argentina has: universal healthcare; a highly educated population; outside of Uruguay and on par with Chile, the best access to running water and sewer in South America; a much lower crime rate than the Latin American average; large rail and highway connectivity/network; large natural resources; a diverse climate region that is home to ski resorts in the Andes and one of the world's largest wine producers. Not to mention Argentina is very progressive on social issues, and has many institutions in place that don't even exist in places like Eastern Europe. I could go on.

I'm not denying Argentina doesn't have problems. And these austerity measures and economic slumps seem cyclical every decade or so. But walk throughout most cities in Argentina (not just the Parisian styled streets of Buenos Aires), but Córdoba, Villa Carlos Paz, Mendoza, Mar del Plata, San Carlos de Bariloche and people would look at you and be completely stumped why you would even consider Argentina third world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World