Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 3rd world or not 3rd world
Mexico 12 27.27%
China 5 11.36%
India 24 54.55%
Jamaica 20 45.45%
Dominican Republic 16 36.36%
Argentina 5 11.36%
Brazil 7 15.91%
Peru 14 31.82%
Columbia 10 22.73%
South Africa 8 18.18%
Ghana 30 68.18%
Rwanda 30 68.18%
Egypt 21 47.73%
Nigeria 28 63.64%
Iran 11 25.00%
Oman 11 25.00%
Jordan 11 25.00%
Pakistan 27 61.36%
Nepal 25 56.82%
Bangladesh 34 77.27%
Vietnam 18 40.91%
Myanmar 29 65.91%
Ukraine 9 20.45%
Serbia 6 13.64%
Moldova 11 25.00%
Armenia 8 18.18%
Angola 30 68.18%
Mongolia 20 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:05 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,467,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
If you want my opinion, Bolsonaro is a clown. I regard him as a mix of Donald Trump and Rodrigo Duterte. Most of his electors were not in favour of his conceptions about minorities, native people and so on, but because he appeared as the most effective alternative against that corruption, mismanagement and anticapitalist bias of the Workers' Party of Lula and Dilma Rousseff, which destroyed not only the economy but the hope of the people. It was much more an "anti-Lula" vote than any other thing.
If there's one thing that sets them apart though, it's their views towards religion. Bolsonaro is a staunch Catholic whereas Duterte is apprehensive towards it, even going so far as mocking it on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 04:27 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,329,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
The best universities in the world are American.
That wasn't based on just universities, we have some of the worse elementary and secondary school systems and outdated text/books for a first world country.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 PM

162 posts, read 148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said until you got to your part about Argentina. You're calling Argentina third world?! No! Not even close.

Argentina has: universal healthcare; a highly educated population; outside of Uruguay and on par with Chile, the best access to running water and sewer in South America; a much lower crime rate than the Latin American average; large rail and highway connectivity/network; large natural resources; a diverse climate region that is home to ski resorts in the Andes and one of the world's largest wine producers. Not to mention Argentina is very progressive on social issues, and has many institutions in place that don't even exist in places like Eastern Europe. I could go on.

I'm not denying Argentina doesn't have problems. And these austerity measures and economic slumps seem cyclical every decade or so. But walk throughout most cities in Argentina (not just the Parisian styled streets of Buenos Aires), but Córdoba, Villa Carlos Paz, Mendoza, Mar del Plata, San Carlos de Bariloche and people would look at you and be completely stumped why you would even consider Argentina third world.
I will add this:

https://ourworldindata.org/water-use-sanitation

(2015 data)

Access to clean water and sanitation says a lot about a country. From this list it looks like the following do best:

Oman
Jordan
Serbia
Argentina
Ukraine

Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,750,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I actually think some parts of USA are very similar to third world standards
U.S. ghettos can be rather 3rd-world-ish... Actually that's an insult to 3rd world countries because 3rd world countries are usually cleaner than places in the U.S. I'm personally from the trash/litter capital of the U.S. - good old New Mexico - which is a lot junkier looking compared to most 3rd world countries I've been in.
Another place in the U.S. that you might be suprised rivals the 3rd world for poverty, destitution, lack of infrastructure, lack of opportunities are some of the Indian reservations in New Mexico and Arizona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Only Chile is significantly ahead.
Mexico and Colombia for example have narco violence problems, poverty and favelas similar to Brazil.
But you won't see one piece of trash on the ground on highways in Colombia.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
U.S. ghettos can be rather 3rd-world-ish... Actually that's an insult to 3rd world countries because 3rd world countries are usually cleaner than places in the U.S. I'm personally from the trash/litter capital of the U.S. - good old New Mexico - which is a lot junkier looking compared to most 3rd world countries I've been in.
Another place in the U.S. that you might be suprised rivals the 3rd world for poverty, destitution, lack of infrastructure, lack of opportunities are some of the Indian reservations in New Mexico and Arizona.
But you won't see one piece of trash on the ground on highways in Colombia.
The trash problem in many areas of the U.S. is certainly atrocious, but I have traveled to some really poor countries before, and I have never seen anything like this in America:

https://www.google.com/maps/@23.7909...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@23.7806...2!8i6656?hl=en

A good way to determine how litter/pollution is controlled is to look at a stream in an urban area. Is there dumping? How is outflow controlled? You can go over several waterways in Dhaka and find that same very thing as above. I used Dhaka because it's a capital for one of the poll choices. Go around the city there. It's scary how bad the litter is.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:40 PM

881 posts, read 911,743 times
Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you said until you got to your part about Argentina. You're calling Argentina third world?! No! Not even close.

Argentina has: universal healthcare; a highly educated population; outside of Uruguay and on par with Chile, the best access to running water and sewer in South America; a much lower crime rate than the Latin American average; large rail and highway connectivity/network; large natural resources; a diverse climate region that is home to ski resorts in the Andes and one of the world's largest wine producers. Not to mention Argentina is very progressive on social issues, and has many institutions in place that don't even exist in places like Eastern Europe. I could go on.
Argentina doesn't have a lower crime rate than LatAm average.

Many 3rd world countries countries have some form of universal healthcare as Argentina does, but, as in Argentina, it has huge problems.

Argentina doesn't do that well in World university rankings, nor in the PISA and other kind of educational tests.

Running water and sewer... ok, but Argentina or Chile are fairly more urbanized than most othe countries of LatAm (actually, Southern Cone is area of the world with the highest urbanization rate), and the population is concentrated, which makes it easier to provide these services.

Quote:
I'm not denying Argentina doesn't have problems. And these austerity measures and economic slumps seem cyclical every decade or so. But walk throughout most cities in Argentina (not just the Parisian styled streets of Buenos Aires), but Córdoba, Villa Carlos Paz, Mendoza, Mar del Plata, San Carlos de Bariloche and people would look at you and be completely stumped why you would even consider Argentina third world.
just look at the videos of this dude: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ltDOyqRdjEce19

I already knew there was extreme poverty in Argentina, in places like Chaco, Santiago del Estero etc, but these videos left me shocked.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Argentina doesn't have a lower crime rate than LatAm average.

Many 3rd world countries countries have some form of universal healthcare as Argentina does, but, as in Argentina, it has huge problems.

Argentina doesn't do that well in World university rankings, nor in the PISA and other kind of educational tests.

Running water and sewer... ok, but Argentina or Chile are fairly more urbanized than most othe countries of LatAm (actually, Southern Cone is area of the world with the highest urbanization rate), and the population is concentrated, which makes it easier to provide these services.

just look at the videos of this dude: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ltDOyqRdjEce19

I already knew there was extreme poverty in Argentina, in places like Chaco, Santiago del Estero etc, but these videos left me shocked.
-Where are you getting your crime statistics from? Argentina's rate is lower than more than 70% of Latin America.

-Show me which 3rd world countries have universal healthcare? Please refrain from posting articles or maps from Wikipedia.

-How does that take away from Argentina being a well educated country? That is what I mentioned in my post; Argentina is highly educated. I didn't mention that university was free, but it is. Not a third world trait.

-Read the link I posted instead of skimming over posts. It doesn't just talk about urban populations, but rural populations' access as well. Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are doing much better, especially better than Brazil in that department. There are plenty of maps there with detailed information.

https://ourworldindata.org/water-use-sanitation

^Look for share of rural population access.

I feel like you're a broke record. I have seen you post that video before. I can find the same video for basically all of Latin America.

None of what you posted makes Argentina third world... which is the topic of the thread.

I assume you voted for Argentina being third world. It's been obvious is the past you have a problem with the country. Your posting history proves this.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:40 PM

2,971 posts, read 1,963,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
USA is third world in education and healthcare... =[
The Us ranks very high in terms of Tertiary education
Around 40~50 of the top 100 universities are US based.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:15 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,750,966 times
Quote:
The trash problem in many areas of the U.S. is certainly atrocious, but I have traveled to some really poor countries before, and I have never seen anything like this in America:
https://www.google.com/maps/@23.7909...2!8i6656?hl=en
What am I looking at here? I don't see anything unusual about this.
Quote:
A good way to determine how litter/pollution is controlled is to look at a stream in an urban area. Is there dumping?
This is a good point. The U.S. does tend to have much better regulation than other countries about what gets put in the water.
Quote:
Argentina has: a much lower crime rate than the Latin American average
Unfortunately this is changing. Armed robberies in Buenos Aires are happening with noticeably more frequency now.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
What am I looking at here? I don't see anything unusual about this.

Really? Nothing at all? Scroll around, look at the litter that dots the landscape. Same with the second streetview link.

This is a good point. The U.S. does tend to have much better regulation than other countries about what gets put in the water.

Unfortunately this is changing. Armed robberies in Buenos Aires are happening with noticeably more frequency now.

But that doesn't change the fact that Argentina's rate is much lower than most of Latin America, especially its "peers" in the region. If a poster is going to continuously call out Argentina for its crime and not nations with much worse statistics, then it looks like we have a troll with pent up hate for a place.
My responses in bold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World