U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:12 PM

9,967 posts, read 11,344,102 times

Advertisements

Long haul flights are no big deal to me. I dont mind spending several extra hours in a plane. The longest direct flight I ever did was a direct 15 hour flight from Hong Kong to New York several years ago and I was fine. I think most people in Australia dont see it as a big deal either, otherwise they wouldn't travel so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 01:03 PM

5,870 posts, read 3,612,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
Well, crime is in fact the number one thing that throws me off the States. But, guns are co-related to that. Just look at the statistics of it, most European countries have murder rates per 100 000 inhabitants that are between 0.5 -2.5. In fact, almost all European countries lie below 1.5. There are only a handful of states within the US that can match that, and all of them are northern states. Some other examples are Florida 5.0, Illinois 7.8, Alaska 8.4, Nevada 9.1 and worst of all Louisiana 12.4. Countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba, Gambia and Sudan have lower numbers than that. So, yes I want to survive hence I do not wish to live in US.
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Far be it from me to encourage you or anyone to live in the US, but if your entire knowledge of "crime in the US" lies in statewide statistics, you know very little about the big picture.

The murder rate in my city is 0. There hasn't been a murder since 2010.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:04 PM

941 posts, read 580,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Long haul flights are no big deal to me. I dont mind spending several extra hours in a plane. The longest direct flight I ever did was a direct 15 hour flight from Hong Kong to New York several years ago and I was fine. I think most people in Australia dont see it as a big deal either, otherwise they wouldn't travel so much.
I find it interesting that a lot of folk will spend 9 or 10 hours a day at their office workstation without a break or complaint, but will balk at the thought of a long haul flight.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:38 PM

21,099 posts, read 26,293,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I find it interesting that a lot of folk will spend 9 or 10 hours a day at their office workstation without a break or complaint, but will balk at the thought of a long haul flight.
That's demonstrably different, though. The inside of a passenger cabin on an airplane is a gazillion times more cramped than a modern office environment, and even in a cubicle you have way more personal space than in an airplane seat.

Besides, who sits at their desk for 9-10 hours straight without getting up and taking a break?

Last edited by Acajack; 01-18-2019 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 02:06 PM

9,691 posts, read 3,301,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Australia and Canada offer one thing that the UK can never match: climate and geographic diversity, and the lifestyle options that flow from that.
I think we can match Canada on climate.

The UK might not be a vast country like Australia or Canada but it is only 22 miles from a vast continent, and it takes about 35 minutes to cross the Channel on the Eurotunnel Service from Folkestone or 1 hour 20 minutes from London St Pancras to the French city of Lille, and it takes 2 hours 16 minutes to get from St Pancras Station to the heart of Paris. Other direct detinations now include Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Lyon, Avignon and Mairsaille, with new routes to Bordeaux, then Frankfurt and Geneva being planned.

There are also very good air transport and ferry links to Europe from the UK, as well as very good transport links in terms of most parts of the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
In terms of quality of life. Britain has a lot more people so of course the economy is bigger, but on per capita terms it's lower, especially in terms of purchasing power. Household income is far higher in Australia, for example.

Housing in big Canadian and Australian cities isn't particularly affordable but they don't hold a candle against the UK, especially when you compare Toronto and Sydney to London. People complain in the former two but London is just like, far worse (I live in London now). It's near HK's level of disaster.
In terms of UK, it is 72nd in terms of the Property Price Index, and is 24th in terms of the cost of living index.

Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

NYC, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong are London's main rivals and not much smaller cities such as Toronto or even Sydney and Melbourne.

In terms of rent London is cheaper to rent a two bedroom apartment in than either NYC or Paris or Hong Kong and San Francisco, and London has numerous affordable home programmes and housing trust projects, as well as plans for new rent controls based on those operating in Berlin.

The 24 most expensive cities around the world to rent a 2-bedroom apartment - Business Insider

Sadiq Khan's plans for London rent controls could emulate Berlin - Big Issue

Homes for Londoners | London City Hall - Greater London Authority

Housing association - Wikipedia

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2019 at 02:41 AM..

Old 01-18-2019, 02:39 PM

941 posts, read 580,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Beside, who sits at their desk for 9-10 hours straight without getting up and taking a break?
I've seen a lot of people sit at their workstation through their lunch break, phone at hand and with earbuds in. Not necessarily every day, but when it's particularly hot, cold or wet.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 01-18-2019 at 03:12 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 03:20 PM

11,821 posts, read 8,183,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's demonstrably different, though. The inside of a passenger cabin on an airplane is a gazillion times more cramped than a modern office environment, and even in a cubicle you have way more personal space than in an airplane seat.

Besides, who sits at their desk for 9-10 hours straight without getting up and taking a break?
Add in recycled air, an environment that is dehydrating, and the constant noise of the engines...now if it was in business class....maybe.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 PM

526 posts, read 187,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Add in recycled air, an environment that is dehydrating, and the constant noise of the engines...now if it was in business class....maybe.
Everyone I know hates flying but it does not stop us doing it. Flew back from Dubai to Sydney recently, fourteen or so hours in a middle seat in economy, having paid for an aisle (still waiting for a refund)
I said, as I am apt to do, that that is it, no more long flights for me. DH takes absolutely no notice of me as he knows in about three months, I start planning the next long trip.

OP! if I were you, I would live in the U.K.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:04 AM

9,691 posts, read 3,301,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Everyone I know hates flying but it does not stop us doing it. Flew back from Dubai to Sydney recently, fourteen or so hours in a middle seat in economy, having paid for an aisle (still waiting for a refund)
I said, as I am apt to do, that that is it, no more long flights for me. DH takes absolutely no notice of me as he knows in about three months, I start planning the next long trip.

OP! if I were you, I would live in the U.K.
I would probably just stay put in Australia if I were the OP, as the climate is better in most parts than Canada and the UK, there are plenty of nice beaches and life outside the cities is generally far less fast paced.

The travel opportunities are good in relation to the UK and London has lots of highly payed jobs, but it can be a high oaced and stressful existence just like NYC, HK, Tokyo etc.

Having to take the odd long haul flight is a small price to pay.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:21 AM

290 posts, read 345,106 times
Stay in Australia.

I traveled the world and my heart stayed in Australia.

It's a beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or