U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 06:25 PM

468 posts, read 261,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
Well, certainly I can only comment on the people Iíve actually met, and not on the whole country or culture as such. Iím sure that there are tough laws and that things used to be even worse. But looking at statistics still indicates that Australia has more to do regarding getting the number of people killed in road accidents down (which I guess has something to do with drink and driving). For example, according to Wikipedia, fatal road accidents per 100 000 inhabitants per year number 5.4 in Australia, while numbering 2.2 in Norway, 2.8 in Sweden, 2.9 in UK, 3.7 in Spain and 3.4 in the Netherlands. In fact, I only found a handful of western countries (including NZ, Canada and the US) that has higher numbers than Australia.
Correct, that was my point. But unfortunately, that's precisely what you did.

Guesses and anecdotes don't make for good analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 06:37 PM

468 posts, read 261,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I don't really get why some view a 10 or 13 hour flight (eg Sydney to Honolulu or San Francisco) as some sort of ordeal. It can actually be pretty pleasant way to relax, get into your vacation mindset by watching a few movies, reading and eating a few reasonable meals.

If you spend 24 hours in the air with a couple of layovers of 6 or 8 hours each added, that is when it gets exhausting.

As far as short distance culture changes are concerned, even though places like Norfolk Island, Alice Springs, Darwin or Broome are in Aus, they are a world away from Sydney or Melbourne.
I agree. What's the big deal. Relax, take a snooze, get waited on, catch up on some movies you've been meaning to see. I do have short legs though....

Sure I'd prefer to teleport to NY, but it's really not that bad. It does seem to be a prevailing view of most of my friends in the States though. I suggest a halfway point stop over for a few days in Honolulu, but even 9 hrs is too much for them.

I often go over there for just a few days (once to NYC for 30hrs before coming back) if there is a particular concert or sporting event I want to see and that seems to be unfathomable to them.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,288,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I agree. What's the big deal. Relax, take a snooze, get waited on, catch up on some movies you've been meaning to see. I do have short legs though....

Sure I'd prefer to teleport to NY, but it's really not that bad. It does seem to be a prevailing view of most of my friends in the States though. I suggest a halfway point stop over for a few days in Honolulu, but even 9 hrs is too much for them.

I often go over there for just a few days (once to NYC for 30hrs before coming back) if there is a particular concert or sporting event I want to see and that seems to be unfathomable to them.
Agreed, last time i flew to Korea, I too off in morning at 7am local Time, land in Seoul at about 4pm local time, got to watch the entire 6th season of game of thrones on the way, while sipping red wine, all really horrible stuff.

The very worst part about international air travel in my opinion, is getting from your accommodation to the airport through customs, and doing the reverse on the other side. A "quick" one hour international flight can easily turn into a 5 or 6 hour ordeal very easily. Especially if is a European budget Airline you are using, which often land in small airports a long way from your actual destination.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:08 PM

1,526 posts, read 986,122 times
Australia first, then UK, then Canada

If you hate the climate, this is a no brainer.

Old Today, 04:41 AM

102 posts, read 59,382 times
I have the last few days started to examine my (our) prospects of obtaining a permanent visa to stay in Australia. The more we’ve been here, the more we like it. But it is not very easy to get. It seems like we could only qualify for the 189 and 190 visas, and we have so many questions about that. Furthermore, there is no real place to go where you can ask these questions, you can just call. And there is only so much information the migration-people can give you through the phone.

So, does anybody here perhaps have any advice for us? Maybe been through it all themselves?

Old Today, 05:57 AM

2,136 posts, read 787,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
I have the last few days started to examine my (our) prospects of obtaining a permanent visa to stay in Australia. The more weíve been here, the more we like it. But it is not very easy to get. It seems like we could only qualify for the 189 and 190 visas, and we have so many questions about that. Furthermore, there is no real place to go where you can ask these questions, you can just call. And there is only so much information the migration-people can give you through the phone.

So, does anybody here perhaps have any advice for us? Maybe been through it all themselves?
The easiest way to get in, is to get a degree in a relevant field (IT, engineering, accounting...) and apply for a skilled independent. Engineering has the shortest queues whereas IT is becoming more and more saturated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or