Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM

14,218 posts, read 11,513,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
The problem with the US is a) guns (and crime)
I have to question whether someone who says "guns" are the #1 reason not to consider the US as a place to live really knows enough about the US to decide they don't want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 02:03 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,324,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Though almost all those flights from Australia are quite a bit further than say, flying to western-central Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean, etc. would be from the east coast of North America.

About the only truly short flights from Sydney are to New Zealand and New Caledonia.

Most anywhere else is like me flying to Moscow or something.
I don't really get why some view a 10 or 13 hour flight (eg Sydney to Honolulu or San Francisco) as some sort of ordeal. It can actually be pretty pleasant way to relax, get into your vacation mindset by watching a few movies, reading and eating a few reasonable meals.

If you spend 24 hours in the air with a couple of layovers of 6 or 8 hours each added, that is when it gets exhausting.

As far as short distance culture changes are concerned, even though places like Norfolk Island, Alice Springs, Darwin or Broome are in Aus, they are a world away from Sydney or Melbourne.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:51 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,925,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Australia and Canada offer one thing that the UK can never match: climate and geographic diversity, and the lifestyle options that flow from that.
Climate! What Canada! LOL.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:08 AM

8,850 posts, read 8,369,443 times
The UK is a league below Canada and Australia in pretty much every front. It's just not doing well. According to almost every single metric you can find out there Australia and Canada are both quite far ahead and the trend is not reversing. Especially Australia.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:16 AM

5,369 posts, read 3,556,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The UK is a league below Canada and Australia in pretty much every front.
what are you talking about, Britain has the 5th largest economy in the world.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
what are you talking about, Britain has the 5th largest economy in the world.
In terms of quality of life. Britain has a lot more people so of course the economy is bigger, but on per capita terms it's lower, especially in terms of purchasing power. Household income is far higher in Australia, for example.

Housing in big Canadian and Australian cities isn't particularly affordable but they don't hold a candle against the UK, especially when you compare Toronto and Sydney to London. People complain in the former two but London is just like, far worse (I live in London now). It's near HK's level of disaster.

Last edited by Greysholic; 01-16-2019 at 06:35 AM..

Old 01-16-2019, 06:55 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,763,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post

As far as short distance culture changes are concerned, even though places like Norfolk Island, Alice Springs, Darwin or Broome are in Aus, they are a world away from Sydney or Melbourne.
You mean like NYC vs. Port-au-Prince or Havana? Or even Montreal? ;-)

Old 01-16-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Housing in big Canadian and Australian cities isn't particularly affordable but they don't hold a candle against the UK, especially when you compare Toronto and Sydney to London. People complain in the former two but London is just like, far worse (I live in London now). It's near HK's level of disaster.
London housing is very expensive the most expensive in the UK but I suppose you have to expect that it being the Capital.
the amount of stabbings and murders has to be taken into account too, at least it looks pretty bad from here in the shires.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
London housing is very expensive the most expensive in the UK but I suppose you have to expect that it being the Capital.
That's why I compared London with Sydney and Toronto.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
That's why I compared London with Sydney and Toronto.
I wouldn't know how expensive Sydney or Toronto are but I have seen some of the house prices in London and I couldn't afford to live there, not that i'd want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World