U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Better for Americans?
Canada 12 70.59%
New Zealand 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
74,899 posts, read 66,574,000 times
Reputation: 71662

Advertisements

OP, how do you propose to get a residency/work visa in Canada or NZ? Are you in a high-demand high-skill profession? NZ may be easier to get into; have you looked into that? You may not have a choice, depending on your situation.

NZ also can have issues relating to the Indigenous population, the Maori, though not on the level of Australia. Canada has issues that come to a head from time to time with First Nations peoples (a little over 4% of the population, 4 times as many as in the US), and there are definitely racist elements among Canadians, though also supportive elements, as well.

Wherever you go, there you are, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
74,899 posts, read 66,574,000 times
Reputation: 71662
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I'm Canadian and I'd like New Zealand too except it is one big volcano.
Yes. Earthquakes are not infrequent. There was a very destructive one just a couple of years ago.Or was it last year? Also, there are aspects of the COL that are very expensive: petrol, car rentals, not sure about housing costs... But Canada's housing costs are very high in some cities, too.

Are you ok with Canada's level of taxation, OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 11:35 AM
 
2,209 posts, read 1,236,476 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. Earthquakes are not infrequent. There was a very destructive one just a couple of years ago.Or was it last year? Also, there are aspects of the COL that are very expensive: petrol, car rentals, not sure about housing costs... But Canada's housing costs are very high in some cities, too.

Are you ok with Canada's level of taxation, OP?
Are Canada's taxes substantially worse than America? Is the rate of pay higher overall? I'm not a fan of high taxes but it you get paid more and other aspects of COL are less expensive I'd be OK with it. Is NZ just as bad as Australia when it comes to expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 PM
 
100 posts, read 81,316 times
Reputation: 139
Search “Requirements for Moving to Canada”. Do the same for New Zealand. Just to qualify cost a lot of money. Also search the requirements to work in Canada and New Zealand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 01:17 PM
 
942 posts, read 580,948 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, how do you propose to get a residency/work visa in Canada or NZ? Are you in a high-demand high-skill profession? NZ may be easier to get into; have you looked into that? You may not have a choice, depending on your situation.

NZ also can have issues relating to the Indigenous population, the Maori, though not on the level of Australia. Canada has issues that come to a head from time to time with First Nations peoples (a little over 4% of the population, 4 times as many as in the US), and there are definitely racist elements among Canadians, though also supportive elements, as well.

Wherever you go, there you are, OP.
Overall, I think there are just different issues that are more prevalent in each country, largely due to the variation between the countries themselves, particularly their geographic size, history and broader cultural composition and degree of diversity.

A large proportion of New Zealanders leave the country and move to Australia, either permanently or for long stretches of temporary residence. Maori New Zealanders are more likely to do so than their European counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,108 posts, read 26,299,819 times
Reputation: 8297
I suppose everyone has their own definition of "indigenous issues" but in terms of statistics, the Maori are about 15% of New Zealand's population.

This is significantly more than the indigenous population share in Canada and Australia: three to five times more in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 01:43 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
74,899 posts, read 66,574,000 times
Reputation: 71662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Are Canada's taxes substantially worse than America? Is the rate of pay higher overall? I'm not a fan of high taxes but it you get paid more and other aspects of COL are less expensive I'd be OK with it. Is NZ just as bad as Australia when it comes to expenses?
Yes, the taxation rate its significantly higher. They have to pay for all that "free stuff" somehow, you know. Pay isn't higher, unless you're in certain professions.Well, it may not be higher than comparable professions in the US, but it's high enough, that people can live very comfortably, in spite of high taxation. That used to be the case in the US, too; doctors and lawyers used to pay 65% in taxes, but still lived very well, sent kids to private schools, etc.


BTW, what did you say your profession was? Is it on the list of high-demand professions in Canada? Have you checked the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 01:52 PM
 
942 posts, read 580,948 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I suppose everyone has their own definition of "indigenous issues" but in terms of statistics, the Maori are about 15% of New Zealand's population.

This is significantly more than the indigenous population share in Canada and Australia: three to five times more in fact.
Another difference is that Maori in New Zealand are a very homogenous group, linguistically and culturaly having settled there in the 1400s. The indigenous population of Australia is extremely diverse in comparison. Torres Strait Islanders for example, are Melanesian with more in common with their kinfolk in PNG or the Solomon Islands. Tasmanian Aboriginals were physically separated from their mainland counterparts by rising ocean levels about 12,000 year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Australia
526 posts, read 187,650 times
Reputation: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seems like they ban a lot of stuff, like movies or video games that are remotely controversial. Also some people don't seem very accepting of foreigners. I've heard it's expensive as well, more so than the other two.
Yes, some video games depicting things like child sexual abuse are banned. As far as I know there is broad community acceptance for these types of bans.

Every country has people who are not very accepting of foreigners. Are you aware that forty percent of Australians were born overseas or had parents who were. Far higher percentage than the US or most other countries. There is a very high level of support for immigration and a high rate of intermarriage between ethnic groups.

You really need to do your homework if you are serious about your questions. New Zealand is much more expensive than Australia. Why do you think such a high proportion of Kiwis live either temporarily or permanently in Oz? It is a small, isolated country where imported goods are expensive. Cars, petrol, houses, food. Look up some websites of supermarkets, restaurants, realestate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
11,823 posts, read 8,183,432 times
Reputation: 6738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, the taxation rate its significantly higher. They have to pay for all that "free stuff" somehow, you know. Pay isn't higher, unless you're in certain professions.Well, it may not be higher than comparable professions in the US, but it's high enough, that people can live very comfortably, in spite of high taxation. That used to be the case in the US, too; doctors and lawyers used to pay 65% in taxes, but still lived very well, sent kids to private schools, etc.


BTW, what did you say your profession was? Is it on the list of high-demand professions in Canada? Have you checked the list?
Here is a link comparing several countries, including Canada, New Zealand and the US. The trouble with these type of comparisons, is that in countries like Canada and the US, it really depends on where you live, since sales tax differs, as do property taxes. It also doesn't include what people can deduct from income taxes.


It gets even messier depending on a persons situation. For example inheritance tax doesn't exist in Canada and New Zealand, nor does a gift tax exist in Canada or New Zealand, where both exist in the US. These probably though won't have an effect on the OP's choice, it's more of a nice to have for existing long term residents.


https://www.immigroup.com/news/how-d...axes-rest-west

Now depending on how much the OP makes, they may be liable to pay US income taxes, no matter where they live in the world. It's for a fairly high income though.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for 2018 - Premier Offshore Company Services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top