U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for Americans?
Canada 16 69.57%
New Zealand 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 03:00 PM

6,513 posts, read 6,117,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm not dead set on Leaving the U.S, but if I was going to I think it's fair to see these two countries would be at the top of my list. Int part because they both speak English, also because they both seem somewhat similar to America. I'm iffy about Australia in part because of the nanny state aspect, and I've heard it has some problems with racism. I was intrigued at New Zealand because they really seem to want people to move there, and the weather seems better than Canada. But they are so isolated unlike Canada. Which do you think is the better place for Americans?

Some criteria to consider.
1. Economy
2. Climate
3. Location
4. Natural Scenery
5. Acceptance
6. Friendliness
7. COL
8. Politics and Government (or lack there of)

None of them will suit you and none of the above criteria are relevant because you don't really want to leave America. Don't use other countries like they are "just any old port in a storm". If you want to move to another country it should be because you really love that country and its policies and society more than any other and want to be there and contribute to that country and its society, no matter if it is similar or not similar to America. You shouldn't be selecting another country just because you don't like what's happening in America but you can't bear to be some place else that isn't similar to America. If you do that you will never be happy with any other countries that you select and you will always be resentful and making comparisons and criticisms and wanting it to change for you because it will never be similar enough to America to suit you and you won't fit in. No place else will be a good fit, not even Canada which is closer to being like America than any other country is.

Australia doesn't have anything near like the kind of nannyism and racism that America has.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 03:07 PM

21,172 posts, read 26,375,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Another difference is that Maori in New Zealand are a very homogenous group, linguistically and culturaly having settled there in the 1400s. The indigenous population of Australia is extremely diverse in comparison. Torres Strait Islanders for example, are Melanesian with more in common with their kinfolk in PNG or the Solomon Islands. Tasmanian Aboriginals were physically separated from their mainland counterparts by rising ocean levels about 12,000 year ago.
True.

Indigenous groups in Canada are similarly diverse (as in Australia).

Old 01-23-2019, 03:13 PM

21,172 posts, read 26,375,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here is a link comparing several countries, including Canada, New Zealand and the US. The trouble with these type of comparisons, is that in countries like Canada and the US, it really depends on where you live, since sales tax differs, as do property taxes. It also doesn't include what people can deduct from income taxes.

It gets even messier depending on a persons situation. For example inheritance tax doesn't exist in Canada and New Zealand, nor does a gift tax exist in Canada or New Zealand, where both exist in the US. These probably though won't have an effect on the OP's choice, it's more of a nice to have for existing long term residents.

https://www.immigroup.com/news/how-d...axes-rest-west

Now depending on how much the OP makes, they may be liable to pay US income taxes, no matter where they live in the world. It's for a fairly high income though.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for 2018 - Premier Offshore Company Services
If we're talking about Canada vs. the U.S., a good rule of thumb is that the closer you are to the middle in terms of affluence, the more it's a "wash" between the two countries.

As you move towards the extremes of wealth (U.S.) or poverty (Canada), one country becomes gradually more advantageous than the other.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM

2,176 posts, read 806,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seems like they ban a lot of stuff, like movies or video games that are remotely controversial. Also some people don't seem very accepting of foreigners. I've heard it's expensive as well, more so than the other two.
That's mostly the case with video games rather than movies, though it's less prevalent now then it was in the past.

The problem was that there was no R18+ rating for games, therefore anything above an MA15+ was either outright banned or censored until the game could be reclassified.

Last edited by Milky Way Resident; 01-23-2019 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 11:48 PM

952 posts, read 588,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

Every country has people who are not very accepting of foreigners. Are you aware that forty percent of Australians were born overseas or had parents who were. Far higher percentage than the US or most other countries. There is a very high level of support for immigration and a high rate of intermarriage between ethnic groups.
I saw some stats today indicating that if you add in those who have one parent born elsewhere, that number is 49% of the population, and is expected to exceed 50% by the end of 2019.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:46 AM

573 posts, read 201,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I saw some stats today indicating that if you add in those who have one parent born elsewhere, that number is 49% of the population, and is expected to exceed 50% by the end of 2019.
That is interesting, a majority if the population with a parent born overseas. I am actually quite unusual in that three of my grandparents were Australian born and I am descended from three convicts. But my kids fall into the category of having a parent born overseas.

So many of our friends have a son or daughter-in-law born overseas; can think of some who are Indian, Chinese, Phillipino, Sri Lankan, American, English, from Mauritius, Cambodian, Malaysian. This is the face of Australia these days.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:06 AM

17,362 posts, read 9,869,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, the taxation rate its significantly higher. They have to pay for all that "free stuff" somehow, you know. Pay isn't higher, unless you're in certain professions.Well, it may not be higher than comparable professions in the US, but it's high enough, that people can live very comfortably, in spite of high taxation. That used to be the case in the US, too; doctors and lawyers used to pay 65% in taxes, but still lived very well, sent kids to private schools, etc.

BTW, what did you say your profession was? Is it on the list of high-demand professions in Canada? Have you checked the list?
taxation rates compared.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...cd_a_23426460/

AND no other first world country I know of gives their citizens the free stuff the U.S. provides:

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...YaAkytEALw_wcB

126 different programs ?????

cel-phone plans for baby mommas with multiple kiddies from multiple daddies, none of whom are living with momma." ????

You might consider re-visiting your choice of profile name.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 PM

75,168 posts, read 66,887,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
taxation rates compared.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...cd_a_23426460/

AND no other first world country I know of gives their citizens the free stuff the U.S. provides:

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...YaAkytEALw_wcB

126 different programs ?????

cel-phone plans for baby mommas with multiple kiddies from multiple daddies, none of whom are living with momma." ????

You might consider re-visiting your choice of profile name.
So, they give away cell phones, but saddle university students with crushing tuition debt? Would Germans trade in their free university educations through the PdD level, for free phones, I wonder? Or would Canadians trade their free health care for phones?

BTW, the CATO Institute is a right-wing economics think-tank associated with the infamous Chicago School of economics, whose ultra-conservative members were involved in advocating for a coup in Chile that resulted in the dictator Pinochet being installed.

Are you trying to encourage the OP to move to Canada, with dreams of lower taxes? Interesting response. I think Zoisite's on the right track, re: the OP's motives.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-24-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 07:41 PM

17,362 posts, read 9,869,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So, they give away cell phones, but saddle university students with crushing tuition debt? Would Germans trade in their free university educations through the PdD level, for free phones, I wonder? Or would Canadians trade their free health care for phones?

BTW, the CATO Institute is a right-wing economics think-tank associated with the infamous Chicago School of economics, whose ultra-conservative members were involved in advocating for a coup in Chile that resulted in the dictator Pinochet being installed.

Are you trying to encourage the OP to move to Canada, with dreams of lower taxes? Interesting response. I think Zoisite's on the right track, re: the OP's motives.
I'm not encouraging the O/P to move anywhere. You made this about the costly tax based "freebies" in Canada. I responded to your openly false post. At the risk of seeming harsh, I quite frankly don't give the poster a tinker's chance in he** of being ABLE to immigrate to Canada.

I don't know about the Germans, but no Canadian has ever referred to their healthcare as being "free". Canadians are well aware they all pay a proportionate amount to fund a single-payer system which covers everyone. A concept a nation calling itself 'founded upon Christian principles' should be aware of, but alas....

You do remember the wording of your post that quite succinctly, and without any doubt, opined this little nugget: "Yes, the taxation rate its significantly higher. They have to pay for all that "free stuff" somehow,"

And, if not overly impressed with the cel-phone item, what about the other 125 "freebies" listed in the compendium of welfare programs available in the U.S.? Which leads me to one more question: how do you suppose the U.S. pays for all of those with over 51% of your citizens receiving at least one of them?

Old 01-25-2019, 04:16 PM

75,168 posts, read 66,887,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm not encouraging the O/P to move anywhere. You made this about the costly tax based "freebies" in Canada. I responded to your openly false post. At the risk of seeming harsh, I quite frankly don't give the poster a tinker's chance in he** of being ABLE to immigrate to Canada.
lol. Chill. We're all on the same side. I know Canucks don't refer to the health care as "free". Only certain types of Americans think of Canada & European countries as having "free stuff". You missed the sarcasm, which would have been obvious to any regular posters on the Europe forum, where inquiries about "free stuff" come up too often. Have a nice weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or