U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for Americans?
Canada 16 69.57%
New Zealand 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 07:00 PM

17,365 posts, read 9,873,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol. Chill. We're all on the same side. I know Canucks don't refer to the health care as "free". Only certain types of Americans think of Canada & European countries as having "free stuff". You missed the sarcasm, which would have been obvious to any regular posters on the Europe forum, where inquiries about "free stuff" come up too often. Have a nice weekend.
Okie dokie, Ruth. Point taken. I'm used to the 'roll eyes" emoji being used to indicate sarcasm.

Right back at you with the weekend wishes. Good news is the shutdown is over......for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 10:28 PM

2,183 posts, read 807,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Okie dokie, Ruth. Point taken. I'm used to the 'roll eyes" emoji being used to indicate sarcasm.

Right back at you with the weekend wishes. Good news is the shutdown is over......for now.
Until the next set of shenanigans ends up triggering another shutdown.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:24 AM

12,519 posts, read 6,511,155 times
Quote:
So, they give away cell phones, but saddle university students with crushing tuition debt? Would Germans trade in their free university educations through the PdD level, for free phones, I wonder? Or would Canadians trade their free health care for phones?

BTW, the CATO Institute is a right-wing economics think-tank associated with the infamous Chicago School of economics, whose ultra-conservative members were involved in advocating for a coup in Chile that resulted in the dictator Pinochet being installed.

Are you trying to encourage the OP to move to Canada, with dreams of lower taxes? Interesting response. I think Zoisite's on the right track, re: the OP's motives.

I'm recalling a caricature of the Cato Institute years ago in The Economist. The cartoon portrayed the think tank as a mote, fortified walls, and cannons & barbed wire bristling from the walls.

My sister has lived in Vancouver since the 1980s. She's had a Canuckistani passport for decades. I took a hard look at moving there back in 1999. At the time, the tax burden as a 5%er was similar to California which I was also considering. This is before the Dubya and Trump tax cuts. If you're self-employed, Vancouver is still probably a win over San Francisco once you factor in self employment taxes and health insurance. The math is different if you're in a low tax red state.

I'd love to move to Vancouver but I'd have to live in my sister's basement. Housing costs there are crazed. I don't have the spare $3 million to buy my way in. I can get in sponsored by my sister. My girlfriend can get in because her grandfather was from PEI. We talk about it occasionally. I was in Sherbrooke QC on Tuesday. My French is really atrophied. I'd really struggle in Quebec until I got my language skills back up to snuff.

My New Zealand life experience is limited to a 3 week ski trip to the South Island. The pinot noir and sauvignon blanc are good. The beer is good. I love the ubiquitous meat pies. I sail and everybody in the country seems to own a boat. If I moved there, I think I'd always be the Seppo.

Last edited by GeoffD; 01-26-2019 at 06:39 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 01:06 PM

75,193 posts, read 66,911,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm recalling a caricature of the Cato Institute years ago in The Economist. The cartoon portrayed the think tank as a mote, fortified walls, and cannons & barbed wire bristling from the walls.

My sister has lived in Vancouver since the 1980s. She's had a Canuckistani passport for decades. I took a hard look at moving there back in 1999. At the time, the tax burden as a 5%er was similar to California which I was also considering. This is before the Dubya and Trump tax cuts. If you're self-employed, Vancouver is still probably a win over San Francisco once you factor in self employment taxes and health insurance. The math is different if you're in a low tax red state.

I'd love to move to Vancouver but I'd have to live in my sister's basement. Housing costs there are crazed. I don't have the spare $3 million to buy my way in. I can get in sponsored by my sister. My girlfriend can get in because her grandfather was from PEI. We talk about it occasionally. I was in Sherbrooke QC on Tuesday. My French is really atrophied. I'd really struggle in Quebec until I got my language skills back up to snuff.

My New Zealand life experience is limited to a 3 week ski trip to the South Island. The pinot noir and sauvignon blanc are good. The beer is good. I love the ubiquitous meat pies. I sail and everybody in the country seems to own a boat. If I moved there, I think I'd always be the Seppo.
Vancouver is big into sailing, too. Check out the neighborhoods in North and West Van; they ALL have their own marinas! There's a summer week-long race held in Victoria, that's packed with contestant from Van, and a few from WA. There's also the gorgeous Inside Passage and it's fjords to enjoy. IMO this is one of Canada's best-kept secrets. And btw, I've seen some of the basements around Van, online. I should be so lucky, as to be able to live in such basements!

I've been a bit spooked about moving into the NW coast area, due to the extreme fire situation, though. I struggle with the idea of having to live through a month or more of smoke every summer. But nowhere on the West Coast of North America is immune from that, anymore, unless it's the North Coast of CA, which is wetter, even, than the Puget Sound area! Too wet to combust, though it can get smoke from fires farther inland, where it's much hotter and drier.

Maybe the prospect of chronically smoky skies with keep all those "free stuff'-seeking Yanks at bay.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:19 PM

16,598 posts, read 13,012,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

This inspired me to grab a pie when I had to pop into town this morning -steak and kidney, very nice.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
This inspired me to grab a pie when I had to pop into town this morning -steak and kidney, very nice.
Not exactly healthy but probably my favorite fast food in the world. My arteries would be solid after a couple of years in New Zealand.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Vancouver is big into sailing, too. Check out the neighborhoods in North and West Van; they ALL have their own marinas! There's a summer week-long race held in Victoria, that's packed with contestant from Van, and a few from WA. There's also the gorgeous Inside Passage and it's fjords to enjoy. IMO this is one of Canada's best-kept secrets. And btw, I've seen some of the basements around Van, online. I should be so lucky, as to be able to live in such basements!

I've been a bit spooked about moving into the NW coast area, due to the extreme fire situation, though. I struggle with the idea of having to live through a month or more of smoke every summer. But nowhere on the West Coast of North America is immune from that, anymore, unless it's the North Coast of CA, which is wetter, even, than the Puget Sound area! Too wet to combust, though it can get smoke from fires farther inland, where it's much hotter and drier.

Maybe the prospect of chronically smoky skies with keep all those "free stuff'-seeking Yanks at bay.
Iíve been drafted as race crew at the Royal Van Yacht Club a few times. Winch grinder and rail meat and itís usually raining which is why I get asked after everyone else bailed out. Not exactly glorious sailing. My sister and brother-in-law have a house on Galiano. Iíve sailed and stink potted around there a few times. The biggest adjustment is the constant watch for logs. Thatís not a problem in New England. I have friends who used to run a 71 foot ketch to the Queen Charlotte Islands. One of their daughters lived in my sisterís basement suite for a couple of years while she was at UBC. The other daughter made the Canadian alpine racing team. I ski with them occasionally at Whistler though not the daughters since they were little and slow. My mom did a Patagonia trip with them. My sister opted out. After a Spitsbergen trip with a week of really bad weather and big seas, she only wants warm weather. Hereís an old NY Times article.
https://www.nytimes.com/1987/09/20/t...ff-canada.html

My brother-in-law has a ginormous wine cellar so the living space in the basement suite is somewhat limited. I suppose I could drink my way to more square footage.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:49 AM

17,365 posts, read 9,873,324 times
Now there's a challenge that would be hard to refuse: drinking your way to a bigger bedroom.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:32 PM
FBF

570 posts, read 664,163 times
I keep it short: despite Canada being its own country with more sensible government: it is very much like the USA.

They love driving big cars, drive in the same side of the road, shopping malls, and American stores are popular over there.

New Zealand takes after the UK more however: drives on the left side, uses more British vocabulary, and much more expensive if you want electronics since they have to import a lot of their goods. But it pays a better living wage compared to Canada and USA.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:50 AM

75,193 posts, read 66,911,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I keep it short: despite Canada being its own country with more sensible government: it is very much like the USA.

They love driving big cars, drive in the same side of the road, shopping malls, and American stores are popular over there.

New Zealand takes after the UK more however: drives on the left side, uses more British vocabulary, and much more expensive if you want electronics since they have to import a lot of their goods. But it pays a better living wage compared to Canada and USA.
Plus, they really talk funny!

(j/k). The living wage part sounds good. The OP has never told us if he'd be needing work with his relocation, or what his story is. OP hasn't posted in several days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or