U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Better for Americans?
Canada 10 66.67%
New Zealand 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2019, 09:35 AM
 
2,199 posts, read 1,230,310 times
Reputation: 1509

Advertisements

I'm not dead set on Leaving the U.S, but if I was going to I think it's fair to see these two countries would be at the top of my list. Int part because they both speak English, also because they both seem somewhat similar to America. I'm iffy about Australia in part because of the nanny state aspect, and I've heard it has some problems with racism. I was intrigued at New Zealand because they really seem to want people to move there, and the weather seems better than Canada. But they are so isolated unlike Canada. Which do you think is the better place for Americans?

Some criteria to consider.
1. Economy
2. Climate
3. Location
4. Natural Scenery
5. Acceptance
6. Friendliness
7. COL
8. Politics and Government (or lack there of)

Last edited by Turnerbro; 01-22-2019 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2019, 12:33 AM
 
941 posts, read 580,127 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm not dead set on Leaving the U.S, but if I was going to I think it's fair to see these two countries would be at the top of my list. Int part because they both speak English, also because they both seem somewhat similar to America. I'm iffy about Australia in part because of the nanny state aspect, and I've heard it has some problems with racism. I was intrigued at New Zealand because they really seem to want people to move there, and the weather seems better than Canada. But they are so isolated unlike Canada. Which do you think is the better place for Americans?

Some criteria to consider.
1. Economy
2. Climate
3. Location
4. Natural Scenery
5. Acceptance
6. Friendliness
7. COL
8. Politics and Government (or lack there of)
Don't you just love the irony in some posts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 AM
 
Location: Camp Springs MD
23 posts, read 5,539 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Don't you just love the irony in some posts....
What's so ironic about that? It's a legitimate concern of Australia, it's arguably just as bad or worse than America in that aspect. If OP's trying to get away from that it might not be the best choice. Anyway given the choice I'd pick NZ hands down. I actually realy like how isolated it is. It has much better weather than Canada and Auckland beats every Canadian city IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 AM
 
941 posts, read 580,127 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgusa88 View Post
What's so ironic about that? It's a legitimate concern of Australia, it's arguably just as bad or worse than America in that aspect. If OP's trying to get away from that it might not be the best choice. Anyway given the choice I'd pick NZ hands down. I actually realy like how isolated it is. It has much better weather than Canada and Auckland beats every Canadian city IMO.
Good grief, it keeps getting better...... You don't see even the possibility of uniformed prejudice the post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 AM
 
2,488 posts, read 923,839 times
Reputation: 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm not dead set on Leaving the U.S, but if I was going to I think it's fair to see these two countries would be at the top of my list. Int part because they both speak English, also because they both seem somewhat similar to America. I'm iffy about Australia in part because of the nanny state aspect, and I've heard it has some problems with racism. I was intrigued at New Zealand because they really seem to want people to move there, and the weather seems better than Canada. But they are so isolated unlike Canada. Which do you think is the better place for Americans?

Some criteria to consider.
1. Economy
2. Climate
3. Location
4. Natural Scenery
5. Acceptance
6. Friendliness
7. COL
8. Politics and Government (or lack there of)
I'm Canadian and I'd like New Zealand too except it is one big volcano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Camp Springs MD
23 posts, read 5,539 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Good grief, it keeps getting better...... You don't see even the possibility of uniformed prejudice the post?
OP is simply asking a question. No need to act like that. If you think he should reconsider Australia there's a nicer way of expressing that opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 03:44 AM
 
Location: Australia
523 posts, read 185,464 times
Reputation: 1010
I would be interested to know what particular aspects of the nanny state in Australia cause concern? Also what particular racist problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 08:45 AM
 
2,199 posts, read 1,230,310 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I would be interested to know what particular aspects of the nanny state in Australia cause concern? Also what particular racist problems?
Seems like they ban a lot of stuff, like movies or video games that are remotely controversial. Also some people don't seem very accepting of foreigners. I've heard it's expensive as well, more so than the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,099 posts, read 26,284,142 times
Reputation: 8283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seems like they ban a lot of stuff, like movies or video games that are remotely controversial. Also some people don't seem very accepting of foreigners. I've heard it's expensive as well, more so than the other two.
Doesn't the U.S. still ban Kinder Surprise (chocolate eggs with small toys in the middle)?


Bottom line is that you can always find these types of weird outlier examples to prove your point.


For the average person things aren't really that different on this type of front (or many others) whether you're in the U.S., Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2019, 09:36 AM
 
2,199 posts, read 1,230,310 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Doesn't the U.S. still ban Kinder Surprise (chocolate eggs with small toys in the middle)?


Bottom line is that you can always find these types of weird outlier examples to prove your point.


For the average person things aren't really that different on this type of front (or many others) whether you're in the U.S., Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
Fair enough. Anyway can we actually focused on the two countries at hand, that was after all the point of this thread. Thank you very much CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top