Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:14 PM

587 posts, read 423,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
For what nationalities can i pass?
U cute
U look kinda Brazilian..or Eastern European
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 06:38 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
Many times it is stereotype.

For instance, nobody believes my wife has lived in Hawaii for 30 years because of her pale skin. Most people think that people in Hawaii must have tanned skin.

And I have been mistaken many times in Japan and Korea that I am local. On a Sunday morning when I was jogging in a park in Seoul, I have been asked a half dozen times about directions. After I said "I don't know", they still couldn't figure out I am not Korean but thought I was rude because I didn't answer in the honorific form.

I guess as long as I don't speak more than three sentences, generally they can't tell that you are not a local if you look like them and dress like them.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:43 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
For OP's question, I think many people in US prefer certain regional accent of Canada. For example, Peter Jennings, a Canadian from Toronto, was the anchor at ABC World News.

So far I haven't seen any American become the news anchor of CBC.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
For OP's question, I think many people in US prefer certain regional accent of Canada. For example, Peter Jennings, a Canadian from Toronto, was the anchor at ABC World News.

So far I haven't seen any American become the news anchor of CBC.
He has a neutral accent.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:11 PM

587 posts, read 423,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
He has a neutral accent.
I'm sure Canadians in the US many years adjusted their accents for jobs too, if they are in media or acting.

The one that you really can't tell is Canadian is Pamela Anderson. She really sounds American (Californian), but she has lived here for so long now.

Generally I know the way Canadians pronounce certain vowels really stand out to my ears (but I pick up on things like this)

Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Most people from Scandinavia can easily pass off as American. Minimal accent generally.
Not in terms of looks, i can spot a person from Sweden, Norway, Finland a mile away.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:40 AM

1,002 posts, read 907,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A big difference though there being Malaysians of Chinese origin speak a Chinese dialect, (easy to live a 'Chinese' lifestyle while Chinese of Indonesian nationality (much smaller in per cent terms) have been confined to only Indonesian tuition and pretty much made to conform to majority norms, over the decades, in the process.
yeah the number of chinese population in Indonesia for now is smaller , but not sure of their small in per cent population because they are chinese in the census 2010 they claim to be Indonesian for example they is chinese Java they admit to being Javanese, Chinese Sumatera they admit to being orang Padang etc.

chinese benteng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b2Aj2KBwiE
yeah one this is chinese Indonesia "Chinese benteng" they are difficult to distinguish from Indonesians overall especially skin and eyes . although chinese/tionghoa population in Indonesia is almost generally distinguishable from the local population

Last edited by Michiko_shanyang; 04-18-2019 at 12:58 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 06:41 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times
In eastern europe/bulgaria greeks, turks, spaniards or italian. The french are black or the white ones look too blond/red sort of, that's true for the whole of western europe actually. The russians don't look "red" but are very blond and have slightly slanted eyes. With that said other people from eastern europe pass as locals too.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Not in Denmark, not even "white folks" for at least a generation.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:29 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
The place where I've most been asked for directions is Malaga and the Andalucia region. I kid you not in the weeks that I was there I was asked for directions by holidaying Spaniards from other regions/cities at least twice a day. It surprised me somewhat because I feel I look very South American Mestizo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World