Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 03:30 PM

278 posts, read 230,663 times

Advertisements

I remember listening to a stranger say in a loud voice watching one of those processions "If I had not seen it I did not believe it waching",.

Many foreigners believe that the most typical of Spanish Culture are the bulls ,flamenco ,Sangria,etc that only
interested a few people in some regions of Spain like however one of things most Typical of Spanish Culture are the Processions of the Holy Week that are celebrated in all regions of Spain for Centuries in a very different in each region way with music for only this processions itself performances of military and civilians and that are prepared by all the year by thousands of members of secular societies (COFRADIAS) that are inherited for Centuries many times from parents to children.- and that are impressive parading
day and nigh without stopping many times with torches and sometimes singing magnificent choirs.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 PM

1,117 posts, read 842,891 times
so why do these people do this if they're not even religious in Spain? I cant imagine parading statues around if I didnt believe in them

Old 01-29-2019, 06:17 AM

The core of Cofradias it is of very practicing Catholics , the rest is of Catholics that
are less practitioners.And another part are of Catholic origin as are all Spaniards
who do not practice religion but who participate in the processions and who live
as traditions of Centuries that are part of its City and its people its roots because the Spaniards are extraordinary attached as to your family, your city and yours traditions .,._

Thing that is not conceivable for American coustoms that leave their parents to young and move to other cities with frequenlly of where they were born .-

.For example ,the artist Banderas always leaves Holiwood to go to the Holy week in Malaga his city
with his friends for be loader of a statue of the Virgin.-

Although now is this changing in Spain because people move much more.-

But even if it moves from its city ,people always remember the rgion or city of its origin.-

Old 01-29-2019, 09:52 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
so why do these people do this if they're not even religious in Spain? I cant imagine parading statues around if I didnt believe in them
Because they have no difficulty distinguishing between beliefs and traditions/heritage/community. Literal interpretations are not part of the culture Spain and Portugal will never follow the in the footsteps of for instance a Denmark or a France in this respect they view the traditions as being entwined with their heritage and don't give a damn about anyone being offended by the public displays. It isn't about beliefs or religion for a lot of people it's about continuity and traditions.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:08 PM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
we have these in Colombia too.

some pics from the Holy Week processions in my town:

Old 01-29-2019, 12:25 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
We spent Holy Week in Sevilla an saw all kinds of interesting traditions and processions...made me wish we had bought our vacation apartment in Sevilla instead of Marbella.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:36 PM

If you liked the Processions of Seville if you see the Processions of Malaga with the intervention of The Legion with its patron the Christ of the Good Death to which they surrender arms while they raise it to pulse and they sing to him their hymn "We are ·the lovers of Death "you would like to live in Malaga.-

But even more he would be impressed by the Castilian Processions so radically different from the Andalusian ones,
for example those of the city of ZAMORA.

These processions are overwhelming when they circulate through a medioval street full beatiful Romanesque churches open with their lights on all night and thousands of penitents with torches circulating alternating a breathtaking silence and then singing a (REQUIEN to GOD) they have rehearsed throughout the year

Note.-I recommend you see the Processions of Easter,on the Internet for example "Oh Jerusalem semana Santa de Zamora" and "Oh jerusalem Cristo de la buena muerte semana Santa de zamora".-

Old 01-29-2019, 06:25 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
If you liked the Processions of Seville if you see the Processions of Malaga with the intervention of The Legion with its patron the Christ of the Good Death to which they surrender arms while they raise it to pulse and they sing to him their hymn "We are ·the lovers of Death "you would like to live in Malaga.-

But even more he would be impressed by the Castilian Processions so radically different from the Andalusian ones,
for example those of the city of ZAMORA.

These processions are overwhelming when they circulate through a medioval street full beatiful Romanesque churches open with their lights on all night and thousands of penitents with torches circulating alternating a breathtaking silence and then singing a (REQUIEN to GOD) they have rehearsed throughout the year

Note.-I recommend you see the Processions of Easter,on the Internet for example "Oh Jerusalem semana Santa de Zamora" and "Oh jerusalem Cristo de la buena muerte semana Santa de zamora".-
Maybe we just didn't explore Malaga like we should have but it just didn't seem to be at the level of Sevilla as a historical city. I wanted to like Malaga but I didn't fall in love with it but I did like the airport.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:34 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
If they could somehow come up with a way of incorporating the Easter procession, bullfighting, flamenco, and sangria drinking into a single sporting event, I'd pay good money to be a spectator.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:34 AM

Viajero alto

You are right Seville is better than Malaga .Seville is a city of Legend .For example in the S XVI and XVII was the largest city in Europe because it had the Monopoly in Spain of gold that came from America.

I was referring to the impressive Processions of Malaga taht compete with those of Seville and I do not know which are better although the 2 have this Andalusian mixture of joy and drama and theatricality.-

However the most serious the most overwhelming are the Castellanas that do not look anything like the Andalusians because they maintain the tragic and dramatic religiosity of the Spanish Imperio Centuries.Especially the of cities of Valladolid and Zamora.-

Valladolid is a city much larger than Zamora.But in Zamora for 7 days practically parade the majority of its inhabitans of Penitentes of the different brotherhoods with their the different habits and secular music that they have maintained for 500 years .-

I recommend the visit to any of the 2 cities and also to Malaga.-
Valladolid is next to Zamora and you can see both at the same time.-
And also visit the city of the very old University of Salamanca wich is very close although its Easter is less famous .
But Salamanca you must you have to go whenever always go to Castilla because it is wonderful medioval
city.-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World