U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

3,397 posts, read 5,293,029 times

Advertisements

Oil would be a major problem for australia, i would imagine shale oil, natural gas and ethanol, would eventually be produced in mass quantities to counter for it, it would take a while though.

We produce way more food tham we consume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,129,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Don't you think countries like Indonesia and the Philippines would split up in this situation? Like every island would be its own country.
In fact, the opposite would happen. Confederations would form, so the trade of oil for food would become domestic consumption, within Saudi-Ukraine, without violating any foreign trade rules..

Old Today, 08:58 AM

10,340 posts, read 11,988,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In fact, the opposite would happen. Confederations would form, so the trade of oil for food would become domestic consumption, within Saudi-Ukraine, without violating any foreign trade rules..
I forgot to mention... confederations, partnerships, pacts etc. are only allowed with neighbor countries.
Everyone in those countries get to vote for it.

Who will be the Philippines and Indonesia's partner? Each other?

Old Today, 10:20 AM

653 posts, read 335,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are very few net food exporters in the world. They are the only ones who would not starve. Canada, The USA, Argentina, maybe Uruguay.

USA and Canada can quickly gear up to be energy self-supporting.

Manufacturing would have to gear back up because competition from China has destroyed it. But there are plenty of qualified workers.

Uruguay has no fuel source and no manufacturing history, no metal source, they would be in trouble.

China would probably be OK. Lots of people would starve, but they have population to spare and they are already in full manufacturing mode. They have coal for power. China is a food producing nation, just not enough to support the current population.

Chile would probably be OK. It's a well run country with lots of resources.
Brazil and USA are the bigger food exporters of the world.

I think Brazil would be fine. Currently it is a very closed country that Always searched for selfsuficiency, for example ethanol (from suggar cane) in Brazil is more used than gasoline since oil crisis in 1970 because Brazil doesn't want depend of imported oil.

Old Today, 02:04 PM

19 posts, read 37,327 times
I think we probably underestimate the self-sufficiency of the developing world. Those who are JUST coming into industrialization would probably be less affected by the lack of global trade. Little places might get by very well. I lived in the Dominican Republic for many years - the main issue for them would be the lack of oil/gas/kerosene. But they do have sugar cane and so could probably adapt.. After all Haiti has been struggling along at subsistance level for years and years. And - as others said- the lack of remittances. But they are food sufficient - as I expect most of the countries in Latin America are. But Americans freak out if the electricity is out for a couple of hours! We freak out if planes are three hours late. I think it would be easier on a developing nation than on us.

Old Today, 02:30 PM

3,122 posts, read 1,858,402 times
Quote:
they are partners already. when oil is tight, Philippines and other SE Asian countries get priority

I think this partnership extends when Reserve Money is needed

Old Today, 07:12 PM

3,154 posts, read 1,516,274 times
Again many countries can’t profuce advanced technologies without certain minerals around the world, I’m sure all countries could become self suffficient if forced to as that is what humans due, and the world was once filled with dozens of small self sufficient nations on each continent. The problem is that technology itself would certainly regress to about 1960 because most advanced technologies only happen due to world trade these days. It depends on how you measure impact if we are talking HDI, Canada or the U.S will have the highest HDI as well as Australia other countries would suffer to the point of their being no real difference in quality of life between a good portion of Europe and Latin America and SE Asia, as advanced medical knowledge won’t help without the resources to be advanced in all other aspects of life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini...traction_phase

DRC has an estimated 24 trillion dollars in untapped resources and due to the conflict there the prices of many of these resources are rock bottom. The same can be said with certain resources and Australia, Canada, Brazil and Chile to lesser extents. Then their are also other one fo resources found in like one region mostly in the world.

Old Today, 07:29 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,129,611 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention... confederations, partnerships, pacts etc. are only allowed with neighbor countries.
Everyone in those countries get to vote for it.

Since you proposed countries would be split, how can you disqualify the converse?. A union of Arabia, Syria, Turkey, and an internal Black Sea connecting Ukraine.

Formulating and enforcing the "rules" is a more daunting challenge than living by them. Criminals are always a step ahead of the police, until you perfect the police-state..

Old Today, 07:42 PM

957 posts, read 413,287 times
That is an isolationism assumption. One will not be better off when in isolation; free trade advances economy and humanity. Even when all natural resources are available within the boundary, there is still needs for market and labor forces in modern economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or