Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More racially integrated?
U.S 36 53.73%
U.K 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,392,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is surprising. You wouldn't think that a country like Spain would allow in immigrants that are a net drag on their economy and harmful to their society.

I guess every country has to learn some things the hard way.

I doubt Latinos are net drag on Spanish economy or harmful to overall society. Most Latinos just want to work and not bother anyone. Both in Spain and here in North America.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 02-12-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 10:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
I find it odd because nobody invited Brits to Africa or India, when they invaded those continents, killed natives, stole their people and stuff, destroyed local cultures, etc. Compared to that modern immigrants are peanuts...

Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I find it odd because nobody invited Brits to Africa or India, when they invaded those continents, killed natives, stole their people and stuff, destroyed local cultures, etc. Compared to that modern immigrants are peanuts...
That is all very sad but it is part of the past some of us have enough sense to feel no guilt for something we weren't a part of and certainly have no desire to use our personal resources to build up India or Africa.

Why should anyone feel guilty for what occurred in the past? The best thing is to learn the lessons do better an move on.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That is all very sad but it is part of the past some of us have enough sense to feel no guilt for something we weren't a part of and certainly have no desire to use our personal resources to build up India or Africa.

Why should anyone feel guilty for what occurred in the past? The best thing is to learn the lessons do better an move on.
Easy for us in the West to say, some of our current wealth indirectly goes back all the way to colonial times, so it is odd to appreciate that wealth, while not feeling any responsibility for the past.

I believe in the necessity of punishment and retribution, what goes around comes around. Call it karma if you will

Old 02-12-2019, 10:29 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Easy for us in the West to say, some of our current wealth indirectly goes back all the way to colonial times, so it is odd to appreciate that wealth, while not feeling any responsibility for the past.

I believe in the necessity of punishment and retribution, what goes around comes around.

I feel no guilt everything I have I've earned or those that came before me worked to acquire. If you want to share what you have with Indians or Africans that is your right but I feel no responsibility for the past. Had the Africans or the Indians had the chance they would have done the same. They had different standards back then thankfully it is somewhat different now in addition it is easy to judge people of the past by today's values. Just out of curiosity in your opinion what do the Germans owe the Jews for what the Nazi's did?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
There is nothing odd about hating the one's that are leaches and criminals the problem is there is too much generalization going on because the vast majority are just hard working people looking for a better life. There genuinely are some bad one's and there needs to be a better process at least in the USA of getting rid of them and them and keeping them out.

The other thing the integration isn't similar for immigrants of European origin. They integrate for the most part completely in the USA in three generations.(Not a good thing for those that want pass on the culture to future generations).
Perhaps the best way to avoid having the culture being lost on future generations is to not move to a country where that culture is foreign?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Perhaps the best way to avoid having the culture being lost on future generations is to not move to a country where that culture is foreign?

That certainly is a good option.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I feel no guilt everything I have I've earned or those that came before me worked to acquire. If you want to share what you have with Indians or Africans that is your right but I feel no responsibility for the past. Had the Africans or the Indians had the chance they would have done the same. They had different standards back then thankfully it is somewhat different now in addition it is easy to judge people of the past by today's values. Just out of curiosity in your opinion what do the Germans owe the Jews for what the Nazi's did?
I think that is an illusion. The very situation of comfort people in the West are born into and which allows them to go to school and work for companies later on, also results from the exploitation of poor countries back then and even today. The same goes for the US and slavery according to some.
I am honest, I know that my materially decent life is facilitated by the exploitation of poor countries, for instance through devastating EU foreign trade and agriculture practices.

It is speculation that Africans or Indians would have done the same thing. I seriously doubt it as they have always had a different mindset compared to Europeans. Either way, they didn't, that's what matters. Else it is like saying why prosecute a murderer when others might have committed the same crime in the same situation? It's the fact that matters.

We paid them billions, and the Jews got their own country at the expense of natives in the region. And even today Germans look the other side regarding Israel's crimes.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:58 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
That certainly is a good option.
We're living in an extreme have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too era. This applies to immigrating to a foreign country as well.

The basic idea is that you can live in an advanced western society with all its trappings (affluence, personal safety, etc.) while at the same time retain almost all of the customs and lifestyle of the old country, including in some cases stuff like arranging your daughters' marriages, and sometimes even other more extreme practices.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/20/us/fe...ped/index.html

Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That post was unforgiving, but I'd say that calling it all the names you did is a bit of 2+2=5.

Unless I missed something I don't believe he is advocating deporting such people or even denying them admission to the U.S.

Still, it's a totally justifiable position to say that Country X won't bend over backwards to provide any and all hypothetical accommodation or support that certain newcomers might think they're entitled to, and also to be up front with people that the absence of such openness might lead to them not be as happy in Country X as they might be somewhere else.
Perhaps you're right but I am a little bias based on the people I know personally who say things like this. When I see people wearing shirts with American Flags with a caption that says; "If this offends you, I'll help you pack". What I personally get out of that message is; "if you don't think like me, I don't want you here". Not that anyone has ever said that they were offended by the flag in the first place, they just don't worship it. This attitude isn't just directed at immigrants, but at anyone who does not believe the same way. I'm not an immigrant and I've been told this because of my criticism of the US.

Perhaps calling that post xenophobic and borderline racist was not necessary, I'll concede that. However, I stand by calling it infantile because it simply is. This simply isn't an intelligent or mature way to react to something that's different from what you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World