U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you consider to be part of the EASTERN world?
Middle East 4 44.44%
Israel 1 11.11%
India 7 77.78%
Southeast Asia 9 100.00%
China 9 100.00%
Japan 9 100.00%
North Korea 9 100.00%
South Korea 9 100.00%
Philippines 6 66.67%
Indonesia 7 77.78%
Australasia 0 0%
Melanesia 2 22.22%
Polynesia 2 22.22%
Micronesia 2 22.22%
North Africa 2 22.22%
Subsaharan Africa 0 0%
South Africa 0 0%
Macao 7 77.78%
Central Asia 4 44.44%
Georgia 2 22.22%
Armenia 2 22.22%
Western Europe 0 0%
Eastern Europe 1 11.11%
Hong Kong 8 88.89%
Singapore 9 100.00%
Taiwan 9 100.00%
ISlamic indo-arian states (Iran, Bangladesh, Pakistan) 6 66.67%
Countries in the range of Himalaya (Nepal, Bhuthan) 6 66.67%
The Guyanas 0 0%
Latin America 0 0%
Turkey 2 22.22%
Greece 0 0%
Russia, entirely 2 22.22%
Russia, only the Asian part 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 PM

75,168 posts, read 66,911,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
I'm not quite sure what "eastern Indo-European culture" refers to here. There are definitely linguistic similarities between, say, Polish/Russian and Persian/Hindi, but those languages diverged long ago, and Polish culture is going to me much more similar to German and even Portuguese culture that it will be to Nepalese or Bangladeshi cultures. Eastern Europe is overall closer to Western Europe than it is to china/india/arabia etc. Also, Hungary shares in the cultural history or east-central Europe without speaking an indoeuropean language and most of the East (Arabia, China, Japan, SE Asia) does not either. Agree on the political/cold war difference, although Marxism is derived from the political, economic, and social traditions of the Occident foremost (Hegel, Smith, Rousseau, Fourier)...
I gave examples of what I was referring to, in my post. There are many shared elements in the musical culture of the Balkans and Romania, and Indo-Iranian culture, for example. And with herding cultures in those regions, and Alfhanistan. Strains of the ancient East can be heard in the folk music of Southeastern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I gave examples of what I was referring to, in my post. There are many shared elements in the musical culture of the Balkans and Romania, and Indo-Iranian culture, for example. And with herding cultures in those regions, and Alfhanistan. Strains of the ancient East can be heard in the folk music of Southeastern Europe.
Yeah but those connections are not very strong or easy to identify. And although some people had their suspicions of an Indo-European language group back in the 1500s, it wasn't until the 1700s that the idea caught on, and there is still a lot that we don't know. And eastern Europe has a lot more in common with western Europe than Iran or India on a cultural level, especially after the adoption of Christianity.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
It's somewhat radical to say that the mysticism is "died out" in the West. I would say that it's different, much more related to the personal experience than to a public aspect like in the East. Moreover, mysticism and rationalism are not incompatible things if we consider that the mystics try to answer to the question: "what is the reason of the existence of the world?" and modern science try to answer "how does the world work?".

Like I said in other topic, I don't think it's very useful to divide the world in west, east, north, south for purposes like development, economy, short-term cultural features and so on, since there are many shades between one and another, and the geopolitics and culture can perform strong changes in a relatively short timespan. The dynamics of the world in 1919 was very distinct of today. In the other topic about what is "the West", some people said that Japan is a western country while Greece is not - what both in geographical and historical terms sound a complete nonsense. And this is the point where I think the West-East division is useful: long-term history.

The East, in my point of view, include all countries with more than one thousand years of history of advanced culture with little or no influence at all from the european culture in its core - I'm talking about language, religion, ethics, etc; not about mass media and not about short-term cultural features. The eastern countries also share an interesting feature, which is the rigid moral and social code in the society. And on the contrary of the West, economic development is not relevant for including or not a country in the East: we'll find extremely rich countries like Japan and the Emirates, average countries like Thailand and Indonesia, poor countries like Iraq and Laos, and unevenly rich countries like China.
I agree, the term the east has been applied to way to many non western cultures, that it makes no more sense and it's best to use non-western instead. That being said I think the world can be roughly divided into two, Abrahamic which is roughly western and cultures that are heavily influenced by Dharmic/Indian faiths such as Hinduism and Buddhism which would be eastern.

Map showing the prevalence of Abrahamic (pink) and Indian religions (yellow) in each country

Last edited by grega94; 02-06-2019 at 10:47 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 11:25 AM

10,346 posts, read 12,015,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I agree, the term the east has been applied to way to many non western cultures, that it makes no more sense and it's best to use non-western instead. That being said I think the world can be roughly divided into two, Abrahamic which is roughly western and cultures that are heavily influenced by Dharmic/Indian faiths such as Hinduism and Buddhism which would be eastern.

Map showing the prevalence of Abrahamic (pink) and Indian religions (yellow) in each country
Bangladesh screwing up the map

Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 AM

How did the Middle East got more votes than Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia?

Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 AM

2,284 posts, read 945,911 times
China got 8 votes, Hong Kong got 7, and Macau got 6.

Um, ok?

Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Grega, you're great with maps, but you didn't think this one through. Would you have us believe that Kazakhstan is not part of the "East"? Pakistan is not "East", but India is? Iran and Iraq aren't "East"?

And btw, why are Russia and France a lighter color than most of the rest of the so-called "Western" world? Why is Greenland pink, and dark pink, at that? Is that just because it's part of Denmark? What's the yellow spot in the middle of Europe? Why is New Zealand a lighter pink than Australia?

Old 02-09-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Grega, you're great with maps, but you didn't think this one through. Would you have us believe that Kazakhstan is not part of the "East"? Pakistan is not "East", but India is? Iran and Iraq aren't "East"?

And btw, why are Russia and France a lighter color than most of the rest of the so-called "Western" world? Why is Greenland pink, and dark pink, at that? Is that just because it's part of Denmark? What's the yellow spot in the middle of Europe? Why is New Zealand a lighter pink than Australia?
I didnít create the map, itís from Wikipedia. But Russia and many parts of Europe are light pink because they are not as religious. China and Japan are light yellow because of atheism too but also because of other native religions/philosophies such as Confucianism and Shintoism. Any place that is dark pink means they are very religious and follow an Abrahamic faith such as Christianity or Islam.

Kazakhstan and Pakistan are both part of the Islamic world which is completely different from Eastern Asia, And Eastern Asia is the only place that should be called ďthe EastĒ since itís actually in the east, and Far East at that.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 AM

Ideally the Kazakhs and Bangladeshi's would switch lands.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I didnít create the map, itís from Wikipedia. But Russia and many parts of Europe are light pink because they are not as religious. China and Japan are light yellow because of atheism too but also because of other native religions/philosophies such as Confucianism and Shintoism. Any place that is dark pink means they are very religious and follow an Abrahamic faith such as Christianity or Islam.

Kazakhstan and Pakistan are both part of the Islamic world which is completely different from Eastern Asia, And Eastern Asia is the only place that should be called ďthe EastĒ since itís actually in the east, and Far East at that.
Who decided that only Eastern Asia qualifies for the label "Eastern"? Central Asia, Persia/Iran, etc. are also "eastern"; that's why the region they're in is referred to as the "Middle East" or "near east". The religion they practice has nothing to do with their geographical location. Unless you want to re-define "Eastern" as a state of mind, in which case you really should leave out Japan and China.

Greenland is not "very religious" in Abrahamic faith practice. Greenland's population is mostly Inuit. If the Danes think Greenland has been thoroughly Christianized, they're flattering themselves. For that matter, Danes aren't "dark pink" haha, either. Our Scandinavian posters in the Europe section would have us believe that Scandinavia in general, along with Finland, are pretty non-religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or