U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you consider to be part of the EASTERN world?
Middle East 4 44.44%
Israel 1 11.11%
India 7 77.78%
Southeast Asia 9 100.00%
China 9 100.00%
Japan 9 100.00%
North Korea 9 100.00%
South Korea 9 100.00%
Philippines 6 66.67%
Indonesia 7 77.78%
Australasia 0 0%
Melanesia 2 22.22%
Polynesia 2 22.22%
Micronesia 2 22.22%
North Africa 2 22.22%
Subsaharan Africa 0 0%
South Africa 0 0%
Macao 7 77.78%
Central Asia 4 44.44%
Georgia 2 22.22%
Armenia 2 22.22%
Western Europe 0 0%
Eastern Europe 1 11.11%
Hong Kong 8 88.89%
Singapore 9 100.00%
Taiwan 9 100.00%
ISlamic indo-arian states (Iran, Bangladesh, Pakistan) 6 66.67%
Countries in the range of Himalaya (Nepal, Bhuthan) 6 66.67%
The Guyanas 0 0%
Latin America 0 0%
Turkey 2 22.22%
Greece 0 0%
Russia, entirely 2 22.22%
Russia, only the Asian part 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 01:15 PM

75,168 posts, read 66,911,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Kazakhstan and Pakistan are both part of the Islamic world which is completely different from Eastern Asia, And Eastern Asia is the only place that should be called “the East” since it’s actually in the east, and Far East at that.
Then you'd have to argue, that India, too, is completely different from Eastern Asia. It certainly isn't the "Far East".

Nice try, but IMO you struck out with this map. I love your map service that you provide here, generally, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 01:30 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Then you'd have to argue, that India, too, is completely different from Eastern Asia. It certainly isn't the "Far East".

Nice try, but IMO you struck out with this map. I love your map service that you provide here, generally, though.
Yes I agree that India and China are very different, but again you can still roughly split the world into two regions. regions that have been heavily influenced by faiths coming from Israel (Judaism, Christianity, Islam etc.) and the Indian Faiths (Hinduism, Buddhism etc.) Of course it's not that simple, but If one were to split the world into two (West/East), that's probably the best way to do it.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:01 PM

75,168 posts, read 66,911,680 times
Quote:
Yes I agree that India and China are very different, but again you can still roughly split the world into two regions. regions that have been heavily influenced by faiths coming from Israel (Judaism, Christianity, Islam etc.) and the Indian Faiths (Hinduism, Buddhism etc.) Of course it's not that simple, but If one were to split the world into two (West/East), that's probably the best way to do it.
I don't know what the "best" way to do it would be. Another way to do it, would be to continue the line formed by the Ural Mts. southward. This would cut Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan in two. Some geographers consider western Kazakhstan part of "the West", anyway. Going further south, Iran would either be cut in two, or might end up entirely in the "West". Pakistan would be in the "East", along with India and Afghanistan.

That makes as much sense to me, if not a little more, than doing it by religion.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:47 PM

3,784 posts, read 1,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know what the "best" way to do it would be. Another way to do it, would be to continue the line formed by the Ural Mts. southward. This would cut Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan in two. Some geographers consider western Kazakhstan part of "the West", anyway. Going further south, Iran would either be cut in two, or might end up entirely in the "West". Pakistan would be in the "East", along with India and Afghanistan.

That makes as much sense to me, if not a little more, than doing it by religion.
Well if we are going by geography then it should be Western Hemisphere/eastern hemisphere or new world/old world.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

14,307 posts, read 13,055,053 times
Quote:

If you take in consideration such things as BC ( or "Before Common Era" as they call it now to please the atheistic crowd, ) then "the West" pretty much becomes the Christendom ( i.e. the European countries) and "the East" is pretty much the countries of the older religions - be that Islam or Buddhism and what's not. And they practically all happened to be east of the European Christendom.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,528,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If you take in consideration such things as BC ( or "Before Common Era" as they call it now to please the atheistic crowd, ) then "the West" pretty much becomes the Christendom ( i.e. the European countries) and "the East" is pretty much the countries of the older religions - be that Islam or Buddhism and what's not. And they practically all happened to be east of the European Christendom.
Islam isn't "older" than Christianity though. the former is much younger in fact.

In terms of religions it's like
Judaism

Hinduism

Zoroastrianism
Buddhism

Christianity

Islam

Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM

14,307 posts, read 13,055,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Islam isn't "older" than Christianity though. the former is much younger in fact.

In terms of religions it's like
Judaism

Hinduism

Zoroastrianism
Buddhism

Christianity

Islam

My bad.

I didn't mean Islam talking about the "older religions."

I meant the "older religions" PLUS Islam ( which is of course younger than Christianity.)
And THAT would pretty much describe the "East."

Old Today, 06:19 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,712,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
My bad.

I didn't mean Islam talking about the "older religions."

I meant the "older religions" PLUS Islam ( which is of course younger than Christianity.)
And THAT would pretty much describe the "East."
Most religions in the ancient times were crafted to attend the spiritual needs of a certain people. While in the East these many of these religions are still supported until nowadays, in the West most of religions were overridden by the Christianity. Islam is an interesting case because it has elements of both an ethnic religion like Hinduism and a religion for the entire mankind like Christianity: while in the essence it was deeply rooted in the Arabic world, it expanded to non-arabic cultures like Turkey, Persia and Malaysia in the same way that the Christianity spread in the West. From the point of view of history, not religion... it's interesting the fact of Islam, having many elements of an ethnic religion, came after the Christianity - which was since the beginning thought to embrace all the cultures of the world despite emerging from the Judaism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or