U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,163,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
Yes, Honolulu. I have not been but I’ve heard that it has good beaches, some rain forest and volcano close by. But, what do I know. What does Hobart have to offer?
Virtually all the birdlife in Hoholulu is invasive non-native species, with the native Hawaiian species nearly extirpated. So, in fact, may be the worst city in the world to see natural populations of native birds.

Generally speaking, American cities are just about the best in the world for the abundance, variety and observeability of birds. Standing out among them are Miami, Tucson and Duluth.

In a first visit to most American cities it would be easy for an experienced birder to see 20 species in a day, most of the year. But in over a year in Cebu, Philippines, I haven't seen 20 yet, all year.

Last edited by cebuan; Yesterday at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

2,689 posts, read 1,387,313 times
Super Gringo's report on Santa Marta; Aus/Canada/US mix.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 1,387,313 times
TY + Felipe from Colombia's report on Playa Cristal, Santa Marta. Frequently a top 10 rated beach in the world.

Old Today, 04:18 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,753,781 times
Santa Marta has to be pretty close to if not at the top. Just amazing.

In terms of GAWC rated places, I went through to the ones that I felt really could be "elite" out of that group. Latin America in general does VERY well.

Alpha++
N/A (though with that said, London and New York are VERY underappreciated and underrated here IMO

Alpha+
Hong Kong (The immediate setting's splendor is just unreal, maybe unmatched almost.)
Sydney (Just a really, really photogenic and nature friendly place, for being such an important global center)
Tokyo* (Close to Pacific, relative proximity to Japanese Alps/Fuji puts it here)
(Hong Kong, Sydney were surefire. Tokyo makes it barely, based on region and great city parks/gardens. Dubai could potentially make it too, based on tastes, Beijing would be a strong candidate with better AQI.)

Alpha
Milan (nothing much right around it, but regionally, VERY VERY strong.)
Los Angeles (I'd call this a slam dunk. Impressive climate and variety of stuff)
Mexico City (Very biodiverse, very mountainous surroundings, some GREAT city parks/boulevards)
Taipei (Not gonna do bios for each one, but this one is a standout I think)
Seoul
Zurich
Istanbul
Guangzhou
(Jakarta and Melbourne have a lot of potential here, too)

Alpha-
Shenzhen (I just assume Guangzhou and Shenzhen have at least somewhat similar settings to HK, based on pictures)
Munich
Bogota (another Colombian powerhouse)
Barcelona
Dublin (very underrated I think)
Santiago (outstanding mountain surrounds)
San Francisco
Other Wildcards: Johannesburg, Vienna, Lisbon, Manila, Rome

I think these are all pretty good places to visit a city and experience nature though honestly, I think that can be said for almost anywhere. If I had to narrow this list down to 5 major cities?

1. Hong Kong
2. Los Angeles
3. Taipei
4. Santiago
5. Barcelona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or