U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 06:09 AM

107 posts, read 61,623 times

Advertisements

Only counting proper cities, at least 500k people. Of course, there are lots of small places/towns in the middle of the wilderness that are very beautiful. But, I am looking for larger places where you can actually live.
So, what city has the best outdoors? I am talking natural beauty, diversity in landscapes, closeness to wilderness, fauna and flora, outdoor experiences, outdoor activities, scenery, wildlife, city parks. Beaches, forests, mountains, volcanos, deserts. You get the idea.
I have only lived in one city, and that is Perth Australia. I would say Perth is a mixed one. Sure, King Park is very beautiful. Very nice coastline, good weather, good water-sport opportunities. A short drive north is desert and a short drive south is beautiful forests. It has lots of beautiful birds, abundance of sea life and some cool mammals like kangaroos.
So, it has a lot to offer. But, it is also awfully flat. And, a very huge portion of it is just suburbs, due to massive urban sprawl. This kills it a little bit for me.

So, what city has the best outdoors according to you? Is it mountain cities like Salt Lake City, Vancouver and Denver, or beach cities Sydney and Honolulu? Or perhaps, Los Angeles, Cape Town or Auckland with a bit of everything?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:25 AM

578 posts, read 202,895 times
Honolulu? Hobart would be close but by your definition, too small.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:37 AM

107 posts, read 61,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Honolulu? Hobart would be close but by your definition, too small.
Yes, Honolulu. I have not been but I’ve heard that it has good beaches, some rain forest and volcano close by. But, what do I know. What does Hobart have to offer?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,880,310 times
City and "outdoors" is a contradiction in my book. Cities can be close to great scenery, nature, wildlife, but usually don't offer much of that within the city limits.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:43 AM

2,689 posts, read 1,387,313 times
Santa Marta, Colombia, the oldest surviving European city on the American mainland. You have snow capped mountains (highest coastal range in the world), ancient ruins (a lost city), various interesting cultures, tropical beaches, sub-tropical mountain villages, rainforest and even a neighbouring desert and immense bayou.

Santa Marta, Colombia by BID Ciudades Sostenibles, on Flickr

El Rodadero
by Enrique Colombo, on Flickr

Santa Marta by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Santa Marta captura-de-pantalla-2015-08-26-a-las-11.59.27 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Santa Marta IMAGEN-13092727-2 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Sierra Nevada Santa Marta 31870197 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Santa Marta Marina pano by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Beach spot by Mariano Colombotto, on Flickr

Cathedral over rooftops, Santa Marta / Colombia by ANJCI ALL OVER, on Flickr

Santa Marta 106479502 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Santa Marta centro-histórico-en-santa-marta-ciudad-del-caribe-61198184 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Santa Marta 211 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Playa_Cristal_Panorama_01 by J. Freddy Correa, on Flickr

Panoramix by Tristan Quevilly, on Flickr

. by felipe, on Flickr

Maruamake, Tierra Kogui - Marzo de 2009. by Todos A Tierra, on Flickr

And Next door to all that tropical green & white snow caps...the yellow of La Guajira desert..

Alta-Guajira-Colombia travelgrafia.co by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

hospina_colombia_la_guajira_024_9067 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

La Guajira IMAGEN-13809464-2 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Guajira Sebaxtian google earthi by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Maicao- Posesión de maestros wayuu
by Ministerio de Educación Nacional, on Flickr

Old 02-10-2019, 03:57 PM

^^
This is the most bio-diverse corner of the planet.

More bird species than North America and Europe combined.
Colombia is the country with most bird species in the world.

A message from the "heart & soul of the world".

"Imagine a pyramid standing alone by the sea, each side 100 miles long. It's a mountain 4 miles high, in its folds imagine every different climate on Earth, this is the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta".

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

Great news for some, the Budget airline RyanAir-Viva now flies direct to Santa Marta via the States.

It's only £75 from Miami direct to Santa Marta each way.

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

2,183 posts, read 807,190 times
Muy bien Pueblofuerte!! Mucho me encanta tu pais.

I went through your roster on Flickr and I gotta say I'm impressed. Santa Marta looks lovely.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Muy bien Pueblofuerte!! Mucho me encanta tu pais.

I went through your roster on Flickr and I gotta say I'm impressed. Santa Marta looks lovely.
Gracias Amigo!

Although it should be said my country is actually England, I know I know I go on about Colombia but I've been obsessed with it as every time I visit it blows my mind - just the level of diversity and so packed together.

But if I had to choose Ol' Blighty is still Blighty for me! It's where I was born, where I grew, it's my home.

Edit: I feel bad now, like I'm betraying my parents lol. Oh the dichotomy of feeling from more than one place

Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

2,183 posts, read 807,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Gracias Amigo!

Although it should be said my country is actually England, I know I know I go on about Colombia but I've been obsessed with it as every time I visit it blows my mind - just the level of diversity and so packed together.

But if I had to choose Ol' Blighty is still Blighty for me! It's where I was born, where I grew, it's my home.

Edit: I feel bad now, like I'm betraying my parents lol. Oh the dichotomy of feeling from more than one place
De nada.

The great thing is that you can be both English and Colombian. Love both countries and cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or