Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
Canada 45 27.95%
United Kingdom 36 22.36%
Australia 52 32.30%
New Zealand 28 17.39%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 02:28 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,330,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No she really, she doesn't. I would be interested to see the last time the Queen actually 'played an active role in government', and by that I mean REALLY 'played an active role in government'.
Simple things like granting assent to new laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 02:28 AM

27,042 posts, read 13,295,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No she really, she doesn't. I would be interested to see the last time the Queen actually 'played an active role in government', and by that I mean REALLY 'played an active role in government'.

The Monarchs powers are mainly ceremonial, and the Monarch is expected to be impartial and nuetral and therefore can not even vote in elections.

The Monarchs role is mainly just a tradition and formality rather than real power, in terms of granting assets, it's merely just rubber stamping rather than any real powers.

However the Monarch does meet with the Prime Minister on a regular basis for friendly discussions and is well informed in terms of events.

The Queen and Government

Old 02-21-2019, 02:38 AM

83 posts, read 64,477 times
How Americans see those countries and themselves.

USA: The center of humanity. Whatever happens here is the most important even in the planet, the rest of the world does not matter.

CANADA: Minnesota and the Dakotas 2.0. Rather go to a beach in Mexico or somewhere far and exotic like Italy.

AUSTRALIA: So faaaar. Wow things must be so cool and different there. Sunny, and people with cool accents, plus weird animals.

NEW ZEALAND: Like Australia, isn't it?

UK: Quaint European country, people with ugly teeth and funny names like "Heathcliff Shrefttordshire", you go there to see the queen and the grave of princess Diana, and to drink tea with guards with black furry hats.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:53 AM

3,610 posts, read 3,372,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The Monarchs powers are mainly ceremonial, and the Monarch is expected to be impartial and nuetral and therefore can not even vote in elections.

The Monarchs role is mainly just a tradition and formality rather than real power, in terms of granting assets, it's merely just rubber stamping rather than any real powers.

However the Monarch does meet with the Prime Minister on a regular basis for friendly discussions and is well informed in terms of events.

The Queen and Government
"The Queen reigns, but does not rule," is how I once heard it described. That about sums it up, IMHO.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
"The Queen reigns, but does not rule," is how I once heard it described. That about sums it up, IMHO.

The Monarch reigns has Head of State but it is the democratically elected Parliament that passes the laws (rules) and the legal system that interprets them and impliments them.

I prefer it that way, as I hate most politicians and would want a politician as head of state.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:23 AM

In terms of the UK, one of it's pluses is the ease with which you can travel and the amazing differences a few hours on a train can mean, whilst budget airlines are also very cheap, as are international bus/coach services and ferry routes.

About our travel fares | Eurostar | Eurostar

EUROSTAR TRAINS EXPLAINED | London to Paris from £25 - Seat 61

Train operators hope to launch direct London-Bordeaux route | The Guardian

You can trave directly from London to Paris and back for £58 ($75) or to Amsterdam for £35 ($45) and numerous other destinations. You can also easily change trains at many of these main stations for other European destinations.

Direct trains from London St Pancras International Station -

London to Paris from £44 ($57) single and £58 ($75) return

London to Brussels, Lille or Calais from £44 ($57) single and £58 ($75) return

London to Lyon from £51 ($66) single and £90 ($117) return

London to Avignon or Marseille from £56 ($73) single and £98 ($128) return

London to the Alps from £84 ($110) single and £149 ($194) return

London to Amsterdam and Rotterdam from £35 ($45)

Couple more links -

Skyscanner: Compare Cheap Flights, Hotels & Car Hire

Eurolines: Low-cost bus travel throughout all of Europe

Ferry offers and latest ferry deals from Direct Ferries

Low Fare Ferries To Europe | DFDS Ferries From £35‎

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-21-2019 at 04:18 AM..

Old 02-23-2019, 06:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times
Have to laugh at all the "bad teeth" comments from fellow Americans. Are you kidding? You think Americans, who can barely afford decent health care, have enough money to pay for expensive teeth?

I've seen plenty of bad teeth on Americans.

I would choose UK or Australia.

Canada too cold and no real decent beaches or warm water and I don't find Canadians very friendly toward Americans when you are up there. When you run into them here they act different.

UK prob my fav as I feel more kinship with British folk and love their culture.

Australia for beaches and warm weather.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:36 AM

The bad teeth sterotype is largely a myth, as there are lots of dentists in the UK and dental hospitals and by international standards Britons don't have bad teeth, indeed studies show they actually have similar if not better teeth than the average American.

Americans do not have better teeth than the British, study concludes - The Telegraph

British teeth are no worse than US smiles, say researchers | The Guardian

British teeth no worse than American, says study - CNN - CNN.com

English have better teeth than Americans - Dentistry.co.uk

British Teeth Aren't So Bad, Study Says - The New York Times

Joke's on us. American teeth are as bad as British teeth, study says - The Washington Post

Old 02-24-2019, 04:48 AM

Couple more videos.

British Airways celebrates 100 years this year.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Americans, as most of the world knows, think the US an exceptional nation. Okay, it is exceptional in its failures as a decent governing nation. too big, too many huge political differences between regions, for example the "south" need to say no more. we need to break up and start over smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World