Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 PM

26,721 posts, read 22,274,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
"Patriarchy" exists in some form pretty much everywhere.

Men make up the majority in the upper echelons of almost every society.

That's what I think too, and it has little to do with who thinks what, "women are inferior" or what's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunten View Post
I'm talking about societies that have literally been founded on the belief that men are "superior".

Or societies that encourage the "alpha-male" (a myth), the machismo (a construct), the toxic masculinity (men pretending) that society is slowly beginning to deconstruct, to criticise, even throw away?

There are a few obvious ones, like the United States, who would rather have a crooked celebrity as its President than a woman (ignoring the popular vote, which did not count for anything), or Australia, whose female Prime Minister copped nothing but flack from day one. What about other Western societies: is Canada and the United Kingdom patriarchal? Perhaps you could throw Brazil in the mix, given the current fiasco with Bolsonaro and his attitudes towards women/gay men.

Where else is heavily patriarchal? Give your reasons, don't simply number 5 countries. State why they are patriarchal. It could be anecdotal, personal, a widely held belief, or fact.

Perhaps Trump is the President America had to have, because it has forced everyone to analyse two very corrosive things: artificial masculinity and narcissism.

This is purely American invention, a very annoying one at that, lol))))

Old 02-23-2019, 03:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,277,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunten View Post
I'm talking about societies that have literally been founded on the belief that men are "superior".

Or societies that encourage the "alpha-male" (a myth), the machismo (a construct), the toxic masculinity (men pretending) that society is slowly beginning to deconstruct, to criticise, even throw away?

There are a few obvious ones, like the United States, who would rather have a crooked celebrity as its President than a woman (ignoring the popular vote, which did not count for anything), or Australia, whose female Prime Minister copped nothing but flack from day one. What about other Western societies: is Canada and the United Kingdom patriarchal? Perhaps you could throw Brazil in the mix, given the current fiasco with Bolsonaro and his attitudes towards women/gay men.

Where else is heavily patriarchal? Give your reasons, don't simply number 5 countries. State why they are patriarchal. It could be anecdotal, personal, a widely held belief, or fact.

Perhaps Trump is the President America had to have, because it has forced everyone to analyse two very corrosive things: artificial masculinity and narcissism.
I'm going to go with Australia, because...Nobody likes a hoe, and a global awareness of the term "**** shaming" will never change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
What a god - awful post from start to finish.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Maybe...but dunten is apparently from/in Australia.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I'm going to go with Australia, because...Nobody likes a hoe, and a global awareness of the term "**** shaming" will never change that.

Agree

Are you saying that this invention is important in Australia too?

Old 02-23-2019, 04:48 PM

5,018 posts, read 7,433,729 times
Quote:
Its in common use thanks to US influence. IMHO the huge majority self confessed Alpha males are Jerks that make very poor leaders.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Its in common use thanks to US influence. IMHO the huge majority self confessed Alpha males are Jerks that make very poor leaders.

I suspect that this whole "alpha males" type ( assertive and outgoing) is purely American invention, for a reason that American culture in its origin is English. And English culture is introverted in its nature, soooo... those "extroverted traits" possessed by "alpha mails" ( and supposedly coveted by women ) were encouraged and considered desirable in American culture.

In Russia ( where the culture is extroverted,) the alpha-males were traditionally the quiet types, who tended to keep their cards close to the chest; the "loud assertive types" were simply not taken seriously.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:33 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,318,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Generally, I think “Alfa male” has a pretty negative connotation here in Aus. It’s one step up from being a total jerk, but only because at least they’re aware of their behaviour.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:15 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,787,106 times
1. Saudi Arabia
2. Afghanistan
3. Iran
4. Pakistan
5. Somalia
6. Japan
7. Mexico

Old 02-24-2019, 08:25 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,277,295 times
Quote:
Quote:

Agree

Quote:
First allow me to say that your quote of my post is arbitrary as well as misleading. And I'll leave it at that otherwise I would be playing crazy catch up in order to correctly recreate which quotes go with which posts.

However, and to answer your question...yes, I would say "that this invention" is important in Australia and worldwide as well, among particular populations; yes, I would.

I think anyone who can make the comment Nobody likes a hoe, and a global awareness of the term "**** shaming" will never change that certainly has a very high alpha male opinion of himself. Whether he truly is an alpha male or merely a wannabe, I couldn't say.

JMHO and first 2 cents for this morning.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:05 AM

35 posts, read 23,580 times
Quote:
But men can be hoes too, can they not? I'm wondering why people's minds seem to equate the term hoe with a female, when it could apply to both genders. In that context it was about a woman, but nobody really wants to defend a man who sleeps around either, do they? Everyone gets puritanical with regard to promiscuity, unless they know they do it themselves, and in that case they'll still silent I'd imagine, or wave their fingers to deflect from their own transgressions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World