U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 01:54 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,048,269 times

Advertisements

I'd say that Texas is the most stereotypical region of America particularly the Texas Panhandle, then Southern California

Australia - The Outback

Japan - Tokyo

Ireland - rural areas, anything but Dublin

Italy - Tuscany or Sicily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 05:50 PM
BMI

7,048 posts, read 4,211,829 times
Australia.... the outback

Argentina....the pampas

Russia....Siberia

Scotland ...the highlands

Norway....the fjords

South Africa ...Table Mountain

Brazil....amazon rainforest

Switzerland ....the Alps

Germany....the Black Forest

France....French Riviera

Greece ....Santorini Island

Japan....Mount Fuji

Nepal....the Himalayas

Tanzania ....the Serengeti

New Zealand ....Milford Sound

Spain....Costa Del Sol

Old 03-16-2019, 08:54 PM

49 posts, read 10,561 times
Okay, here are the most usual comments about the U.S. I've received in over forty years of traveling from folks in dozens of countries (and it's funny how these comments haven't changed much over the decades):

New York -- Everything is in New York. You can get anything in New York. The greatest city!

California -- Hollywood. Movies. Pretty girls. Beaches. Palm trees. Surfing. Lots of pretty girls!

Texas -- Cowboys. Bang bang! The Alamo. Bang bang! Tall men. Bang bang!

And occasionally ... Chicago -- At-tut-tut-tut-tut-tut-tut-tut (the imitation of machine gun fire).

Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 AM

10,363 posts, read 12,127,957 times
Netherlands: South Holland

Old 03-21-2019, 03:20 PM

12,111 posts, read 8,371,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Netherlands: South Holland
Pretty much. Many are surprised to learn that in Friesland, they speak Frysk or Fries. That Holland is not The Nederlands, but only a part of it.

I had a wonderful time there, a long time ago

Old 03-22-2019, 08:38 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,737,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That Holland is not The Nederlands, but only a part of it.
Off topic: here, the Netherlands are universally known as "Holanda", even by the dutch expat themselves. The official name "Países Baixos" (lit. "Low Lands") is almost never used, except in official documents or in very formal situations. It sounds weird, nonsense, even because "baixo" can sound as a derogatory word in Brazilian Portuguese; this word can be translated as "low", "bass" or "inferior" depending on the context.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Off topic: here, the Netherlands are universally known as "Holanda", even by the dutch expat themselves. The official name "Países Baixos" (lit. "Low Lands") is almost never used, except in official documents or in very formal situations. It sounds weird, nonsense, even because "baixo" can sound as a derogatory word in Brazilian Portuguese; this word can be translated as "low", "bass" or "inferior" depending on the context.
A lot of people use the term Holland, yes. Officially it's incorrect.

"The official name of the country is the Kingdom of the Netherlands. King Willem-Alexander is the king of the nation. Holland actually only means the two provinces of Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland. However, the name Holland is often used when all of the Netherlands is meant."

https://www.holland.com/global/touri...vs-holland.htm

My point was that some people do not know this.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:09 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,737,928 times
Quote:
A lot of people use the term Holland, yes. Officially it's incorrect.

"The official name of the country is the Kingdom of the Netherlands. King Willem-Alexander is the king of the nation. Holland actually only means the two provinces of Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland. However, the name Holland is often used when all of the Netherlands is meant."

https://www.holland.com/global/touri...vs-holland.htm

My point was that some people do not know this.
At least the media in UK and USA employs the word "Netherlands"; here, however, the name "Holanda" is used even by the media. Calling it "Países Baixos" may lead to misunderstanding and sounds pedantic. The demonym and the language are likewise called "holandês" (lit. "hollandese").

Old 03-22-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
At least the media in UK and USA employs the word "Netherlands"; here, however, the name "Holanda" is used even by the media. Calling it "Países Baixos" may lead to misunderstanding and sounds pedantic. The demonym and the language are likewise called "holandês" (lit. "hollandese").
People in Canada also tend to use Holland for the whole country. I'm more particular because The Netherlands was my very first European country to visit. I have been back many times. I guess I'm trying to be respectful in a way, by calling their country by it's proper name. Not that I think people who call it Holland are being disrespectful, just not accurate.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:55 AM

21,435 posts, read 26,658,817 times
Quote:
People in Canada also tend to use Holland for the whole country. I'm more particular because The Netherlands was my very first European country to visit. I have been back many times. I guess I'm trying to be respectful in a way, by calling their country by it's proper name. Not that I think people who call it Holland are being disrespectful, just not accurate.
Yeah I definitely conflate Holland and the Netherlands in my mind.

I was looking it up and it's surprising that the two Hollland provinces (north and south) only make up a small portion of the country's land area and have about a third of the population. Given how much Netherlands = Holland = Netherlands in people's minds you'd think it would be a much greater share (as in the England = UK conflation).

In French I'd say it's quite a bit more common to refer to the country as Pays-Bas than Holland, but the language is more often referred to as "hollandais" in my experience. Officially it's "néerlandais" (which is also what they use officially for the Flemish language in the Netherlands) but to me "néerlandais" doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely as "hollandais".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or