Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,377,903 times

Advertisements

Shenzhen at number 10?? I checked numbeo and found that where I live (Phoenix, AZ) is way more expensive than Shenzhen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 03:05 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
I thought San Fransico was the most expensve city in the Americas.
I feel Sydney should be in the top 10.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:21 PM

1,110 posts, read 982,031 times
Shenzhen's property price is many times that of Phoenix. But for locals, there are ways to live cheap. this list is for expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Shenzhen at number 10?? I checked numbeo and found that where I live (Phoenix, AZ) is way more expensive than Shenzhen.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:42 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Incidentally, rent/mortgage is usually the largest expense for residents in any city. London's rent is twice as expensive as Tokyo's, that is a fact. I wonder how that always seems to be slipping from these reports.

And public transportation is obscenely expensive in London. It's handily twice as expensive as in Tokyo and 3 times more expensive than in Hong Kong. It's a joke really since it's not even that good.

Groceries are fine, but they account for a far smaller portion of your expenses in relation to something like, well, rent.
Most of these kind of rankings are specifically for western 'expat employees' on temporary postings to gauge how much of a premium their companies should be giving to those workers in their pay. So they assume that the accommodation costs are already paid by the employer and the cost indexes are for the type of stuff that an employee would need to spend day to day to maintain a similar lifestyle they would expect back home.

That's why somewhere like Ashgabat might end up high in the ranking, maybe local stuff for local people is cheap but the ranking only looks at meals in 5* hotel restaurants, or international standard gym memberships etc because they don't think international expats will be frequenting local bars or market stalls in a city like that.

These rankings are not really of any relevance to local people living in those cities, and they are not designed to be for that, though media reports often treat them as if they are.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:07 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,303,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I thought San Fransico was the most expensve city in the Americas.
I feel Sydney should be in the top 10.
Our dollar is down so that changes Sydney's place in the rankings. Also the price of real estate has dropped in the last couple of years.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 AM

536 posts, read 610,303 times
Oslo, Norway and Stockholm, Sweden >>>>> Beijing by a country mile for expensives (all places I've been, China for 22 months). No way do I believe that list.

A country like China and cities like Beijing, Shanghai or Seoul has so many options you can find super expensive and incredibly cheap and everything in between for basically everything. Oslo is just obnoxiously expensive and that is it.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:50 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
A lot of these expats tend to be professionals working with international companies around the world. Generally speaking in addition to salary they have a benefit package that includes housing allowances that greatly reduces the burden of accommodation expenses.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:44 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...ntl/index.html

1. Hong Kong (China)
2. Tokyo (Japan)
3. Singapore
4. Seoul (South Korea)
5. Zurich (Switzerland)
6. Shanghai (China)
7. Ashgabat (Turkmenistan)
8. Beijing (China)
9. New York City (USA)
10. Shenzhen (China)
For whose expats? I've read, that some Swedes retire to Switzerland, because taxes are low. It's considered to be a tax haven.

Notice that San Francisco isn't on the list, in spite of rents and real-estate to have outstripped those of NYC.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:01 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,588,321 times
Usually people on an Ex-Pat package have a place to live taken care of. Schools for children may be negotiable, or a driver....but the ex-pats I knew had basically everything taken care of. Their money was almost straight bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World