Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:36 PM

95 posts, read 68,188 times

Advertisements

His commentary by that outstanding engineer confirms my observation hat some of the
outstanding spaniards who aspired to become rich go a few years to work in the USA.
But you will see that they are few and usually return unless family reasons of hold them back.-

It is very clearly seem with famous spanish athletes such as Basket ball players of NBA
GOLF etc and important scientists are some years in the USA, but they return to Spain when they finish their work for the quality of life of Spain.-

It does not happen the same with other emigrants of othe countries who struggle to live in USA forever.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 02:19 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,168,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidio View Post
His commentary by that outstanding engineer confirms my observation hat some of the
outstanding spaniards who aspired to become rich go a few years to work in the USA.
But you will see that they are few and usually return unless family reasons of hold them back.-

It is very clearly seem with famous spanish athletes such as Basket ball players of NBA
GOLF etc and important scientists are some years in the USA, but they return to Spain when they finish their work for the quality of life of Spain.-

It does not happen the same with other emigrants of othe countries who struggle to live in USA forever.-
There's no place like home - unless home is torn up with war, famine, etc.

Quote:
In the 2013 American Community Survey, 759,781 people that reported "Spaniard", 652,884 were native USA-born and 106,897 were foreign-born. 65.3% of the foreign-born were born in Europe, 25.1% were born in Latin America, 8.3% from Asia, 0.6% in Northern America, 0.5% in Africa and 0.1% in Oceania.
http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/t...html?fpt=table

I just thought that was interesting.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:43 AM

115 posts, read 59,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
My parents are Scottish, and I had an extended visit to the UK years ago. Stayed at my grandmother's place in Ardrossan as a base, and then travelled around for a couple of months. I love Scotland. It's one of the most breathtakingly beautiful countries in the world. But, yes, the weather would drive me insane.
I'm American but moved to Scotland in 2000. I've travelled a lot and find Scotland the most beautiful country I've ever seen. People think it rains all the time but it's more likely to be drizzle. Winter is cold with very little snow where I live, but more rain and high winds. So we leave during winter and go where we can wear sandals and shorts.

I live in Cowal on a sea loch so even when it's drizzly or cloudy it's still beautiful. And when the sun shines it's awesome.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:18 AM

95 posts, read 68,188 times
In the quality of life there is something that can not be measured as the pib ,transport,life expectancy ,Security,.And "it is the joy of living" although it undoubtendly has to do with the things
cited to a large extent .

I think that above all the joy of living has to do even more with the Habitat ,family affection and the
groups of aboundance and intense friendships and above all with the good weather sunny and in Spain is vey difficult that never be bored because there are many positive crowd of entertainments of traditions of festivals.-

Spain is the country in the World without doubt with more, traditional festivals ,more bars with more gastronomic enthusiasm.-

That is why in spain as here they abound these things, are in the tail in despressions suicides, and depressions etc and that is foundamental to achieve a good quality of life and a great joy of living that millons of foreigners who visit us are lookng for.-

Maybe that is why this year is a already the number 1 of millions , recipient of tourists in the World.-

Old 07-17-2019, 02:08 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,661,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidio View Post
In the quality of life there is something that can not be measured as the pib ,transport,life expectancy ,Security,.And "it is the joy of living" although it undoubtendly has to do with the things
cited to a large extent .

I think that above all the joy of living has to do even more with the Habitat ,family affection and the
groups of aboundance and intense friendships and above all with the good weather sunny and in Spain is vey difficult that never be bored because there are many positive crowd of entertainments of traditions of festivals.-

Spain is the country in the World without doubt with more, traditional festivals ,more bars with more gastronomic enthusiasm.-

That is why in spain as here they abound these things, are in the tail in despressions suicides, and depressions etc and that is foundamental to achieve a good quality of life and a great joy of living that millons of foreigners who visit us are lookng for.-

Maybe that is why this year is a already the number 1 of millions , recipient of tourists in the World.-
Aah Urdiales, why do you have so many accounts?
1) You should learn about the cultural side of your neighbours... All of them; even if they are not under the sun (aka UK)
2) Does quality of life involve bars per capita and pamplona festival or also: https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/07/17...83_803099.html
?

Old 08-06-2019, 12:46 PM

358 posts, read 409,772 times
Out of the three Countries US has the highest Human development Index followed by UK .

Old 08-07-2019, 08:15 AM

816 posts, read 584,867 times
Interesting (if underwhelming) choices because quality of life in all of them is lower than in other parts of Europe or the English-speaking world. Italy is probably the lowest on this list. The average quality of life has really declined in the US and the UK, and frankly things in each country are only getting worse. Spain and France are at the top of the list, with France having a slight edge simply because it is a little less dysfunctional.

So
1. France.

2. Spain

3. UK

4. US
5. Italy

Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,596,487 times
Everyone's answer is going to be somewhat subjective, so I'll try and relate these countries to each other in simple terms. I've lived in 3/5 of these (USA, UK, Spain) and been to the other two a few times each.

USA is great for making money. This can often be at the expense of parts of society that are considered normal every day life in Europe and other nations. Many people do just fine and live fruitful lives in the USA, but to do so, you need cash. You also better like to drive, because everything is spread out.

Spain is just about at the other end of the spectrum. Wages are lower and everything moves a bit slower, but you will certainly enjoy yourself here. Great healthcare, pretty good social support in general, but general relaxed schedule, tons of holidays, and a very "out and about" culture - everyone is always out walking through the streets, drinking wine, snacking. With the diverse geography - everything from alpine ski areas to semi-tropical beaches, and small country villages to some of Europe's biggest cities, you can pretty much find any place to fit your needs. Bang for your buck-wise, it's hard to do better than Spain.

The UK, in simple terms, is European USA. I think people have more American mindsets than in the rest of Europe, and there are the high prices, lower wages, volatile politics, that you find in the US, but easy access to mainland Europe, European fashion, infrastructure, architecture. Granted, you don't have a lot of the violence, and dare I say it, gun issues you'd have in the USA, you certainly have a lot of the same socio-economic issues the USA has, however, the proximity to Europe and other cultures is a big win in my book. If you live in a decent sized city, you probably won't need to drive much like you would in the USA, Canada, or Australia, due to the more "compressed" European infrastructure, and great public transport.

France, well, it depends where in the country you are, but to generalize, it's just about half way between Spain and Germany. No, I don't mean just geographically, I find France has have many of the same relaxing aspects of society you'd find in Spain, but they seem to be a bit more... proactive, structured, and go-getters. Maybe not quite to the level of the Germans, but certainly more than Spain.

Italy, well, put simply, is posh Spain. Aside from the food being on a whole 'nother level, everyone and everything seems to be a bit more stylish there, but their schedule, general life structure, and general mentality seems very similar to that of Spain.

In a nutshell, if you want to make money and don't care about anyone else, go to the USA.

If you want to live in a place with economic qualities like USA but stay in Europe, go to the UK.

If you don't care about earning much, but want to have a chill life with chilled out people, look no further than Spain.

If you think you'd like Spain, but are turned off by the slow pace, maybe France is right for you.

If you're into the slower lifestyle and feeling a bit boujee, then Italy will probably do it.

For me, I'm perfectly happy in Spain. I also would really love to live in France or Italy, and I absolutely loved my time in London and would happily go back under the right circumstances. London (which I realize does not represent the whole of the UK) is my favourite city in the world, but given my circumstances, I can live a better life in Spain. I've always said that I think I can be happy in any big European city.

I know I generalized a lot here, but these are hard comparisons. There are exceptions to everything I said here.

Last edited by wikiwikirunner; 08-07-2019 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 05:14 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,181,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Everyone's answer is going to be somewhat subjective, so I'll try and relate these countries to each other in simple terms. I've lived in 3/5 of these (USA, UK, Spain) and been to the other two a few times each.

In a nutshell, if you want to make money and don't care about anyone else, go to the USA.

If you want to live in a place with economic qualities like USA but stay in Europe, go to the UK.

If you don't care about earning much, but want to have a chill life with chilled out people, look no further than Spain.

If you think you'd like Spain, but are turned off by the slow pace, maybe France is right for you.

If you're into the slower lifestyle and feeling a bit boujee, then Italy will probably do it.

For me, I'm perfectly happy in Spain. I also would really love to live in France or Italy, and I absolutely loved my time in London and would happily go back under the right circumstances. London (which I realize does not represent the whole of the UK) is my favourite city in the world, but given my circumstances, I can live a better life in Spain. I've always said that I think I can be happy in any big European city.

I know I generalized a lot here, but these are hard comparisons. There are exceptions to everything I said here.

USA is great for making money. This can often be at the expense of parts of society that are considered normal every day life in Europe and other nations. Many people do just fine and live fruitful lives in the USA, but to do so, you need cash. You also better like to drive, because everything is spread out.

Spain is just about at the other end of the spectrum. Wages are lower and everything moves a bit slower, but you will certainly enjoy yourself here. ...

Italy, well, put simply, is posh Spain.
Great post. I have also lived in US, Italy, Spain, plus Portugal and Greece, and have had business relations with UK and France, also having visited Paris, London, Liverpool during those times.

I just wanted to emphasize, again, the bolded parts, worth repeating over and over and over again, because in Spain and Italy (not to mention Portugal and Greece) the relative lack of gainful economic opportunity adversely affects, yes a relatively small, but the most dynamic sector of the population, in Italy well into a third generation by now, who must go abroad to achieve their full potential, and that to the detriment, silently, of the country they leave behind.

Yes, I know, so what? The quality of life is good. Just great.

Last edited by bale002; 08-08-2019 at 05:22 AM..

Old 08-09-2019, 03:27 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,874,969 times
I would be happy to live in any of these places with the exception of the US, I think Americans are really lovely people, its only because of the guns there, thanks to the stupidity of their gun laws it has 3rd world levels of gun crime, I refuse to live in a country that has 'no go' areas to its cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World